Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Default The Original Infinity Inc - Does anyone else miss them?

I've been reading the original series on DCU, and I still enjoy it after all these years. I wish we could revisit the Earth with the Justice Society Infinity periodically. We could have some WW2 flashback stories, as well as modern stories. Preferably with the pre-Crisis relationships intact and Sylvester still alive. There's room for Skyman and Courtney!

I can't wait until there's someone in charge at DC with a level of nostalgia for the '80s that rivals what we've been getting from Johns and Didio with their preferred eras.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Boisterously Confused

Yes I do.

Thing is, the moment has passed, and their foundation has been hacked away and withered. Unless someone returns a full-on Earth 2, or equivalent Elseworld, the logic that makes them viable isn't there. I love 'em, but they need the Pre-Crisis E2 (or something very similar) to properly work.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yes I do.

Thing is, the moment has passed, and their foundation has been hacked away and withered. Unless someone returns a full-on Earth 2, or equivalent Elseworld, the logic that makes them viable isn't there. I love 'em, but they need the Pre-Crisis E2 (or something very similar) to properly work.
    Without the parental influence of the JSA, the heroes that make up Infinity, Inc. become just another teen/young adult team. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the original II had a flavor and attitude that was a little deeper than the Titans had the their adult partners. DC obviously sees something in the kids of superheroes concept as shown by Jon Kent and Damien Wayne.

The difference between the current supersons and the old Infinitors is that the current kids are plentiful and all running around with costumes and powers mimicking the adults. Infinity grew up and had to fight for their place in superherodom with their parent who pretty much ruled the Earth Two super hero roost. A different dynamic and one we really haven't seen since pre Crisis. But the circumstances making this franchise possible have been tootally reworked to the point of non-existance.

I miss them as well. They had a spot and a role which was wiped out.

It's a shame that great characters like Obsidian, Jade and Nuklon haven't even been on the "playing field" since Nu52 debuted (Convergence being the exception). A shame and a waste.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    It's a shame that great characters like Obsidian, Jade and Nuklon haven't even been on the "playing field" since Nu52 debuted (Convergence being the exception). A shame and a waste.
    Of all of them, Obsidian and Nuklon are the two that could be least dependent on a Golden Age connections, and could be retooled for current continuity. Like the Post-Crisis Huntress, it wouldn't be the same, but they could have a future.

Of all of them, Obsidian and Nuklon are the two that could be least dependent on a Golden Age connections, and could be retooled for current continuity. Like the Post-Crisis Huntress, it wouldn't be the same, but they could have a future.
    At least Tom King wasn't able to have them in his "Sanctuary" during Heroes in Crisis!

(And, by the way, both of those two characters did have Golden Age heritage / connections through their parents (Obsidian) / grandparent (Nuklon/Atom Smasher).)
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 05-23-2019 at 07:55 AM.

During the New 52 era, I spent years hoping DC would bring use the Tangent versions of the Obsidian and Jade to get around the dependency on Alan Scott. They've pulled things further afield into the DCU, after all.

Yes I do.

Agreed. I loved them and I miss them in a nostalgic way but I can't really imagine Northwind or Fury or Silver Scarab or Nuklon making much sense in today's climate. They've been gone so long they've gone too far out of style.

A lot of great books, characters, and concepts came out of the post-CoIE reboot but what it did to Earth-Two was terrible and wholly unnecessary.

The characters I miss most that were lost in that shuffle, in the order of my missing them, are Helena Wayne, E-2 Richard Grayson, and Sylvester Pemberton.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Anyone remember when Obsidian and Nuklon were members of the Justice League??
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Anyone remember when Obsidian and Nuklon were members of the Justice League??
    Yeap. And Blue Devil.
    Unfortunately, it was during the era of JLA that I keep blocked out of my memory.

Too bad they couldn't have joined before Giffen & DeMatteis left.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.