Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I also that the thing with the nonlinear story telling, and showing stuff just in Falsh backs doesn't really work. It just takes put the excitment if you allready know before how it goes.
    I mean there was really no good reason why they told us how Red Hood escaped as a Flashback, opposed to just continuing the story where it ended at the end of issue #2.

So wasn't the thought process that they canceled Green Arrow's book because of something related to Leviathan? It didn't seem like he really had any major role here to justify it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So wasn't the thought process that they canceled Green Arrow's book because of something related to Leviathan? It didn't seem like he really had any major role here to justify it.
    Maybe a pitched mini fell through, for example Bendis thought it would be cool if Lemire did a Green Arrow story since he had that cool Hawkeye book, he might have even tried to line up Andrea Sorrentino since the three of them worked on Old Man Logan .

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Maybe a pitched mini fell through, for example Bendis thought it would be cool if Lemire did a Green Arrow story since he had that cool Hawkeye book, he might have even tried to line up Andrea Sorrentino since the three of them worked on Old Man Logan .
    Lemire's Hawkeye, at least for me, wasn't really that good. It was more about Kate, too (60K/40C), and Clint and Oliver are not really very similar, as far as I can tell.

I think that it could be possible that Bendis asked for the character to be free just in case he wanted to use him for more than what he had for him in the end, and maybe the writer of GA at the moment wanted to leave the book and DC didn't have a strong enough pitch for the book, so they finished the run and let the publication on hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I think that it could be possible that Bendis asked for the character to be free just in case he wanted to use him for more than what he had for him in the end, and maybe the writer of GA at the moment wanted to leave the book and DC didn't have a strong enough pitch for the book, so they finished the run and let the publication on hold.
    I think I read somewhere that the writers had longer-term plans but were told they had to end the book.

I think I read somewhere that the writers had longer-term plans but were told they had to end the book.
    Mmm... That would be weird. Unless editorial didn't like it enough, or they really expected Ollie to have a bigger role. Maybe I'm very wrong.

I just think that it's weird O.o

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

And without knowing much about the character who turned out to be the villain, and what let to him becoming Leviathan, the big reveal in the end also didn't really worked. (Reminds me a little bit on the Enfys Nest reveal in Solo)
    Yeah, I figure a lot of people are going to have that problem. DC is going to have to remind people who this is, but if that leads to new trades of his series, I;m fine with that

The weird thing is that (so far) this is not the worst thing that has been done with the character.

Fantastic Member

Yeah, Jackson Lanzing said they signed on with the intent of doing a long run and had outlined about 50 issues with editorial. But halfway through production of their first issue, they were notified the book would be ending and had to alter their course. I think their run only lasted three issues.

Both he and Didio mentioned Ollie being more involved with the greater DC Universe as being one of the primary reasons for the book ending. Hopefully it wasn't just Event Leviathan they were talking about.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaled View Post
    Apparently the latest issue of Jimmy Olsen spoils the series as to who Leviathan is but does not reveal why. I still hope we get a complete collection of the 80s Ostrander Manhunter series out of this.
    I actually have the 80s manhunter series, I picked up ages ago for 20ish dollars, never realized that ostrander wrote it.

Ultimate Member

When was the last time Mark Shaw showed up in the Nu52, anyone know?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Exactly!!! That's Bendis, though. He takes a lot of shortcuts with his writing and hardly, if ever, "puts in the work."
    Yeah, that's been his problem since the beginning.

He gets a big idea, and absolutely no idea how to really execute it. Secret Invasion is the best example, but not only one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, that's been his problem since the beginning.

He gets a big idea, and absolutely no idea how to really execute it. Secret Invasion is the best example, but not only one.
    In fairness, Secret Invasion being a crossover mini wasn't his idea. Joe Quesada was so excited by Dark Reign that he wanted the leadup to be as big as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    When was the last time Mark Shaw showed up in the Nu52, anyone know?
    I think he was an FBI agent or something and someone referred to him as a "Manhunter" but nothing more than that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    In fairness, Secret Invasion being a crossover mini wasn't his idea. Joe Quesada was so excited by Dark Reign that he wanted the leadup to be as big as possible.
    Well, Dark Reign, Secret War, basically any espionage Bendis does he's not willing to put the time and effort into details.

And with espionage, the details are what makes the story

New Leviathan mini series on the way. Event Leviathan: Checkmate

https://www.newsarama.com/48603-chec...leviathan.html