Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Event Leviathan discussion thread

I’ve been enjoying the lead up to this event. I’m always down for stories featuring DC’s covert ops organizations. Thus far Leviathan has taken out all the main agencies and Kobra, a competing terrorist organizations. And according to the ads he seems to have threatened Batman and Manhunter and stated that their way has failed. Leviathan has seemingly offered Batgirl and Plastic Man a place in his new world order. Amanda Waller is on the run, Sam Lane is in a coma, and Director Bones is out of action.

Action Comics #1011 spoiler
    spoilers:
    Superman is confronted with a Leviathan bomb and rushes to throw it into space. As it explodes Superman states “I purposely experienced it in super speed. It was then I could see — it was as if the space it was touching was just not there anymore.” So it seems like the “bombs” may have been mass teleportations.
    end of spoilers

I’m very excited about the return of Manhunter! Plus The Question being more prominent in the DCU is always great. the whole detective team put together is terrific. Plas is one of my favorite characters but he shouldn’t be on a team with the world’s greatest street level detectives. But he’ll make things more fun.

So now to the identity of Leviathan. I think Red Hood is too obvious. The whole “Batman, your way has failed” is his original shtick but it’s definitely not him.

Could it be Roy back from the dead? Or Dick/Ric Grayson having another personality disorder? Talia throwing a big swerve?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Yeah, the revelation that Leviathan might be taking pains to not actually commit mass murder seems like a pretty strong clue that Leviathan is going to turn out to be a hero who's decided to go all Authority on the DCU's ass.

I think Damian is the obvious choice, along with Red Hood. The idea that Dick/Ric Grayson's head injury has given him a split personality disorder is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if it tracks with what we've heard about the behind the scenes cluster&^%* that the Nightwing comic has become.

Bendis did such a great job with the Marvel street level heroes, so I think Manhunter and The Question are absolutely perfect for him. Would love for him to write at least a mini series for either character.

That would be something if it is Grayson. Roy is dead, Wally is a murderer, and Dick a supervillain. That would definitely emboldened the people who believe Didio hates the Titans.

The Question being written by Bendis is the reason I've been reading Action Comics and this whole Leviathan storyline. It's been interesting enough so far.

The teasers indicated that L is familiar with some of the heroes. They refer to Batgirl as "Barbara" for one thing. And they seem to know nothing personal about The Question. It lends credence to Robin's theory that it's Jason, but that really means nothing - Bendis might dangle him as a red herring this early on just to mislead the readers who dismiss him as a red herring when it's really him.

I have to wonder if L's statement to Manhunter about legacy with a touch of sexism is an indication...?

I was also thinking maybe Roy, but then it'd almost be like turning Roy into Ollie's Red Hood - a little derivative.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-22-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I was planning on avoiding this, but dammit Bendis - you HAD to include Kate Spencer didn't you?
    God, I love that character.
    I'm in.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, the revelation that Leviathan might be taking pains to not actually commit mass murder seems like a pretty strong clue that Leviathan is going to turn out to be a hero who's decided to go all Authority on the DCU's ass.

I think Damian is the obvious choice, along with Red Hood. The idea that Dick/Ric Grayson's head injury has given him a split personality disorder is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if it tracks with what we've heard about the behind the scenes cluster&^%* that the Nightwing comic has become.
    I feel like Damian and Red Hood are red herrings and have nothing to do with this.

Extraordinary Member

My guess is Titans of Tomorrow Tim Drake, I mean this guy is still running around and his plot is sofar unresolved, and with him behind every thing it could look like Red Hood was it.

Loving this so far. Can’t wait for the event proper to get rolling.

Way too early theory - Leviathan is resetting the intelligence organizations in a way that divorces them from ties to existing governments. Leviathan’s goal is ultimately to topple the existing order, eliminating corruption and replacing the current world order with something s/he sees as healthier. This is why s/he believes heroes can be recruited to join up. The moral dilemma for the various heroes involved is whether they should continue to defend an arguably broken status quo, versus working to affect lasting change in the world.

BTW Bendis said on twitter that the scene with Huntress was originally supposed to be Dick, but they changed it because he’s all Ric-d out right now. Kind of eliminates Grayson as a suspect.
    Cheers - CL

Leviathan seems to know a lot about Kate Spencer and the Manhunter legacy. So he could be Paul Kirk one of the original Manhunters. DC does enjoy bringing back old seldom used Jack Kirby characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Leviathan has seemingly offered Batgirl and Plastic Man a place in his new world order.
    Wasn't the Question doing the same thing for Guardian at the hospital bed?

Was it the Question ? I thought it was Leviathan coming to recrut Guardian.

I don’t think it was The Question. It was Leviathan making Guardian the same offer he’s apparently making Batgirl and Plas. But having the mysterious figure in the hospital does add Question to the list of possible suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Wasn't the Question doing the same thing for Guardian at the hospital bed?
    The Question is shown at the bedside of Lois's father in that last page, but with Harper's comment about his visitor's face, it's not surprising to be suspicious. Maybe he was using that Spyral face-warp tech (or does that only work for cameras and surveillance?) "How are you going that to your face?" Sounds like something happening in that moment to me rather than just Vic's no-face. Maybe they were wearing Rorschach's mask? That's be something... (maybe Ozymandias wearing Rorschach's mask... )

Mighty Member

I'm still trying to understand Ollie's role in this. According to Bendis, he's a detective. But he has never shown any real detecting skills.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    I'm still trying to understand Ollie's role in this. According to Bendis, he's a detective. But he has never shown any real detecting skills.
    He's more of a hunter then a detective and even that's a bit of a stretch.