Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    At first it seemed odd to me that this was a Superman story that becomes a Batman story, but it's evidently been a Lois Lane story, which is all good with me.

I know this is Bendis, but I was still surprised the first issue was just a conversation - especially with a lot of it recapping what we already knew if you'd been following this. It felt like a Zero issue that should have been 8 pages.

What's with that Odyssey building? Let's hope this doesn't lead to Coast City being destroyed again...
    I was surprised Bendis made Batman sound generic, any-character dialogue. I couldn’t even recognise Batman. I wonder when Bendis is going to look into the Batman with any depth. If anything, both Batman and Ollie should have detected the Question lurking in the shadows. And why does Lois Lane point a gun at Batman? Doesn’t she trust him?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I was surprised Bendis made Batman sound generic, any-character dialogue. I couldn’t even recognise Batman. I wonder when Bendis is going to look into the Batman with any depth. If anything, both Batman and Ollie should have detected the Question lurking in the shadows. And why does Lois Lane point a gun at Batman? Doesn’t she trust him?
    Also, she should know it's pointless to point a gun at The Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    It always feels like the WW-verse gets short changed in any major event. So it was a pleasant surprise to see Steve Trevor in the first issue, calling back to his ties with ARGUS. I'm not sure I agree with this action/reaction though, but I'm willing to roll with the paranoia factor. I hope Steve Trevor will play more substantial roles in Event Leviathan.

That said, I loved seeing Lois Lane featured front and center in this issue. Her interaction and relationship with Batman was fun.

I'm on board for this ride.
    Agreed on the Steve Trevor and Lois Lane counts.

We are long overdue for a Lois Lane and Batman detective story - and this is starting off good.

I hope Steve comes to his senses and joins the group. I wasn't thrilled when they ousted him from being one of the head leaders of ARGUS at some point in the Wonder Woman comic. Helping to run or be a lead intelligence agent of ARGUS was good for him as a character and as a background organization in the Wonder mythos as much as in the DCU mythos. We'll see what happens, but I really liked the conversation and banter between the three of them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Agreed on the Steve Trevor and Lois Lane counts.

We are long overdue for a Lois Lane and Batman detective story - and this is starting off good.

I hope Steve comes to his senses and joins the group. I wasn't thrilled when they ousted him from being one of the head leaders of ARGUS at some point in the Wonder Woman comic. Helping to run or be a lead intelligence agent of ARGUS was good for him as a character and as a background organization in the Wonder mythos as much as in the DCU mythos. We'll see what happens, but I really liked the conversation and banter between the three of them.
    Part of me can't help but think Kathy Kane would have had this conspiracy zipped up by now. She'd be really appropriate in this arc, outthinking Batman, and maybe ... I mean one of her most recent appearances she impersonated Lois Lane. It'd be funny to see her interact with Trevor, too. I don't think she's going to be involved in the story other than "historically" part of the backdrop of Spyral, but part of me would like to see her as Spy-God save the day.

I still think Nightwing is Leviathan.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Okay - so Leviathan is obviously another alternate universe Batman, right?? Those guys are everywhere...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Okay - so Leviathan is obviously another alternate universe Batman, right?? Those guys are everywhere...
    My theory will NEVER happen, but since everyone else is throwing their five cents in...I think Leviathan is the Earth Two/Golden Age Superman. Note the mention of the All-Star Squadron and Freedom Fighters in this latest issue and Plastic Man's involvement with both groups was strictly Earth Two (despite Roy Thomas trying to shoehorn Plas into that era in his post-Crisis Young All Stars run). Also keep in mind the wrecked car from Action Comics 1 that has been prominently featured in recent issues of Action. Yes, again, I know that this is a long-shot, but I'd be beyond thrilled to welcome Kal-L back to the DC Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    My theory will NEVER happen, but since everyone else is throwing their five cents in...I think Leviathan is the Earth Two/Golden Age Superman. Note the mention of the All-Star Squadron and Freedom Fighters in this latest issue and Plastic Man's involvement with both groups was strictly Earth Two (despite Roy Thomas trying to shoehorn Plas into that era in his post-Crisis Young All Stars run). Also keep in mind the wrecked car from Action Comics 1 that has been prominently featured in recent issues of Action. Yes, again, I know that this is a long-shot, but I'd be beyond thrilled to welcome Kal-L back to the DC Universe.
    As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm throwing a few more chips in the direction of my (utterly absurd) "Roy Harper of Earth-Two" theory:
    - Seems to have knowledge of a pre-Crisis universe. Who better than a pre-Crisis refugee, the only dopplegang not explicitly eliminated in the original Crisis on Infinite Earths?
    - Series awkwardly inserts Green Arrow into the mix. Now, when Leviathan reveals himself to be Roy Harper, Ollie can say, "you're not Roy," and he can say "not the one you know, Ollie!"
    - Red Arrow in costume.

Admittedly, there's a huge gap in motivations here (why the heck would Earth-Two Roy give a rat's patoot about the DCU's spy organizations?) but it's my goofy theory, and I'm sticking with it.

Or Kathy Kane.

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

It was mentioned several times that Plastic Man's involvement with those groups occured Post-Crisis. Including DCU Legacies, which is canon in the Pre-N52 timeline.
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy

All-New Member

I wouldn't say your theory would never happen. I think we are thinking along the same lines. Bendis said that the clues would be there for readers to guess. I'm expecting small references to give some hints.

The dropping of the multiverse, and someone with knowledge of it does suggest it could be a version from another reality. I DO think it will be someone from an alternate earth. I don't think it will be Superman from the JSA bc he was one of the initial protagonists in Infinite Crisis which related to the multiverse.

I dont think it will be a diff version of Batman as other reality versions of Batman have been popping up all over the place. Wouldn't be original enough.

I think the clue lies in how when Plastic Man asked how they knew each other, he said "Justice League", then started listing off alternate Plastic Man pasts from the other Earth's. I don't think he was just referencing Plastic Man's past teams. I think he was saying he knew them from all those teams.

So I have a feeling one of the following, unless it turns out to be a minor character who gained info on the multivariate.
    Hourman - Rex Tyler - was a member of Freedom Fighters, All Star Squadron, Justice Society, and a descendant with his memories was in the Justice League.

Quick Silver/ Max Mercury - legacy character obtained from Quality comics. Connection/ Retcon to Freedom Fighter characters, brief member of All-Star Squadron, honorary member of 1996 Grant Morrison JLA (went to the membership recruitment, and Plastic Man was part of the Morrison JLA.) Add in that he's a Flash character (Flash characters always seem to have an involvement in Crisis's and Barry Allen at first was assumed to have created the reborn universe.

Long shot a Green Lantern Alan Scott. All Star Squadron Member, Justice Society Member, Freedom Fighters appeared a few times in All Star Squadron 1980's run, which Alan Scott was a part of. Plus Plastic Man was in the first issue posing as FDR I believe it was. Couple that with Alan Scotts tenure with Checkmate and there is some overlap. Plus he would know him from Plastic Mans time in the Justice League also.

All-New Member

As my answer states, I dont think your thought process is crazy. I have my choices listed in my previous answer, but to lend some credence to your theory, obv as you said, Roy Harper from the original Earth 2 never implicitly died during the Crisis on Infinite Earth's. Plus during the All Star Squadron run, some histories were retconned to include side kicks as members of the All Star Squadron, even if as unofficial members. Ie Sandy the Golden Boy, plus Robin had a few appearances (dont remember if the issue had Ultra Humanite or Brain Wave as the villain.)
    Throw in that Earth 2 Roy Harper was related to Guardian, and as mentioned he was also a member of the Seven Soldiers of Victory.... Theres some merit. And thats without including multiple Earth 1 versions of Roy Harper had been a member of Checkmate. Plus Justice League, and the current one was just killed off. Plus if Earth 2 Roy Harper somehow received memories of the alternate Roy Harper's, (maybe through one of the million of reality merging crises such as Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Flashpoint or even Doomsday Clock then its not exactly a huge stretch. I think you connected the dots with your Roy Harper theory at least enough that its not absurd or completely off base.

I'm not even reading the series, but reading everyone's thoughts I'm getting another "heros turns evil" storyline out of this. Yech. So tired of that.

All-New Member

Interestingly, to go with my alternate long shots, after a little research, Quicksilver/Max Mercury *is* officially considered and listed as a member of the Freedom Fighters and All Star Squadron. And I know he def appeared an issue of the Grant Morrison JLA (which Plastic Man was a member of.) I'm also quite sure in that recruitment issue he said if they need him to "just call." He then appeared in some of the JLA/JSA crossovers and is an honorary JLA member.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'm not even reading the series, but reading everyone's thoughts I'm getting another "heros turns evil" storyline out of this. Yech. So tired of that.
    I really hope that Leviathan is actually an OC or some obscure villain that Bendis decided to reimagine because at DC 'heroes turn evil' = which Titan character should we derail next.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Leviathan could be a character that's yet to be reintroduced in Rebirth.

A lot has been made about the lack of bodies. But who has been killed? If Leviathan allows for collateral damage, that's an indication especially within the Bat family.