Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    New Leviathan mini series on the way. Event Leviathan: Checkmate

https://www.newsarama.com/48603-chec...leviathan.html
    Seemed pretty clear the story wasn’t finished at the end, so this is expected. Excited mainly for Talia getting to be more of a anti hero. And it looks like green arrow will have more of a role in this pet, which makes sense since his book was put on hiatus because he was supposed to have a big role in this series.

I actually wonder if the book will end with Oliver using his funds to create a new spy agency.

The first series was pretty much pointless and established literally nothing, let’s see what the sequel will offer.

One of the problems this story is that really only Bendis is writing it or continuing it in anyway. If this was supposed to be some big story about how Leviathan destroyed super spies and had a huge effect on things it certainly doesn’t feel like it except for these minis, specials, and occasional appearances in the Superman books. Like I feel this should probably have significant effects on the Suicide squad books, maybe a new manhunter series, the red hood or Batgirl book, or etc but honestly just feels right now like the odd side story Bendis is doing that he will occasionally come back to. I mean it might actually help if we were to see something come of this in a big way.

Of course the other problem is I don’t actually understand what Bendis did with this book either. Because supposedly Shaw/Leviathan destroyed spy agencies to take over their resources and do...something? Like I’ll be honest I’m not exactly sure what Bendis is going for with this besides the recreation of this group that Morrison created in Batman Inc.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I hope this expands the topics that the first series barely touched on. The history of The Manhunters for one. The reveal of Mark Shaw as Leviathan was pretty weak because not a lot of fans know enough about the character and his legacy. Hopefully more of that is explored.

Ollie working with Checkmate seems against his character. As a far left liberal he would most likely be against spy agencies like Checkmate or the CIA, with histories of overthrowing democratically elected leaders. But his role in the story hasn’t been revealed.

Would be interesting if Talia ends up being either the new White or Black Queen. Utilizing her vast knowledge of terrorist organizations to take down Leviathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    New Leviathan mini series on the way. Event Leviathan: Checkmate

https://www.newsarama.com/48603-chec...leviathan.html
    At least it'll be nice to see Ollie in something again.

If Vic is the Question that's in this, then I'll be tempted to pick it up, but I still feel burned for wasting money on "Event Leviathan." Maybe I'll wait for the trade... to be on sale at a discount...

I also think Bendis should have put Kate Spencer in the book.

I am a huge Mark Shaw as Manhunter fan. That was one of Ostrander’s best works, IMO. So I hope DC does more with this and Bendis isn’t the only one doing anything with this. Suicide Squad should be involved in this as well. Not just Superman and this miniseries.

The Dawn one shot is out today, this event continues to hit the right notes for me. Glad Steve Trevor got to have a big part, I missed him in the WW books. And I've been waiting for Talia to get some good character moments and this seems like the perfect place.

I think it was ok, I think that now that we got past the identity of Leviathan storyline that we can actually finally see some of the ideas that Bendis has for this story. I find some of the ideas interesting, but I can’t say the execution was perfect, especially that weird Markovia thing at the end.

If I have anything to say is that it still feels like this should feel like a bigger story, at this point I feel that only Bendis is tackling it at all, to be fair it gets mentioned here or there but it feels like other writers should be tackling this. Who knows, I’m probably not picking Checkmate up, but it could be good for the continuing story and maybe the Manhunter mini will add to this.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Spectacular Member

lol, bendis is just doing doom 2.0 right down to the castle and speech

christ, i want off this wild ride

Quote Originally Posted by yellow cyclone View Post
    lol, bendis is just doing doom 2.0 right down to the castle and speech

christ, i want off this wild ride
    It’s funny, I don’t care for leviathan I’m mostly just hear for the checkmate team.