Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well...

spoilers:
    I find Leviathan rather sympathetic, the Invisible Mafia is great here and there is a Jimmy Olsen/Dex-star Team up.
    end of spoilers
    It's a must buy.
    Interesting. Although the last point sounds so random - but still interesting.
    Are such specials normally collected in trades later on too?
    Last edited by Sergard; 05-29-2019 at 02:48 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Ugh, God no.

I hate every villain who makes that point, because all they're doing is acting as a meta-mouth piece, making what is now a cliche observation about the genre.

Yes, Batman should have killed the Joker (and others). But since companies will never give up on their trademarks, he can't and won't. How about telling a story that doesn't needlessly lampshade the genre without ever providing a solution?
    Bendis seems to be trying to come up with a solution in his Superman books by having Clark try to explore more ways of helping than simply, as Oz/Jor-El says, being a glorified "fireman flying around in his baby clothes". My guess is that this will ultimately lead to the earliest foundations of what will become the United Planets, but that's just as guess.

As for how tired the old trope of the villain pointing out how ineffectual superheroes are, I think it continues to be a good one as long as the story is well told. I don't think superhero comics can evolve and thrive by ignoring the inherent flaws in the way they do things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    So it's good? Now I can't decide if I want the digital or printed version.
    It's damned good. Full of great stuff. The weakest link was the Supergirl stuff, but I don't think anyone was expecting that to be the highlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It's damned good. Full of great stuff. The weakest link was the Supergirl stuff, but I don't think anyone was expecting that to be the highlight.
    Any Question?
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Any Question?
    Nope. The main focus here was Lois, Clark, Jimmy, Leone, Talia & Leviathan.

Nope. The main focus here was Lois, Clark, Jimmy, Leone, Talia & Leviathan.
    Dammit! I was hoping for More Question, Ah well at least he’s in the Main Event
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

I was reading again this issue, and it remains spectacular but I'm a little sad that Bendis did away with the whole Silencer series so easily. Talia unleashed hell on Leviathan itself just to prove that she IS Leviathan, had everyone but Honor submit and became the absolute ruler again... only to be usurped by this new guy so easily ?

I can live with that, the event seems to be really strong and interesting, but I'm sad nonetheless.

Bendis seems to be trying to come up with a solution in his Superman books by having Clark try to explore more ways of helping than simply, as Oz/Jor-El says, being a glorified "fireman flying around in his baby clothes". My guess is that this will ultimately lead to the earliest foundations of what will become the United Planets, but that's just as guess.
    That is, I think, the general thesis of his entire Superman and Action Comics runs. I completely agree about the United Planets. And I had thought Lois' book was going to essentially be a call to action for Superman in a format that he'd be receptive to. We've seen him shut down with Jor El's criticism and Manhunter's suggestion as well. Setting up a version of Clark that doesn't necessarily want to consider the wider role he could play. Having that call come from Lois, who he loves, is in awe of her commitment to these precepts, and respects, in a format that he would necessarily see be more receptive to - her writing - seemed to fit within that. I think the scene where she's surrounded by people begging her for help just because she's wearing the crest was meant to be the trigger for that. That may be what Rucka is going to explore in his series with her. I hope. Bendis' rushed execution in Superman undercut it a bit, but I think it is still possible that's where he's going with the Unity Saga and Lois' book.

I really enjoyed the Lois & Jimmy sections. Both books are going to be great.

So does anyone else think Event: Leviathan happens while Clark is kidnapped by Talia? Or did Bendis, as would definitely not be out of character, have an entire JLA rescue mission where Lois raid's Talia's closet and Jimmy and Dex Star team up occur off panel?

All-New Member

Also seems notable that Lois wearing similar/same outfit as Talia at the end.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

My list of suspects for Leviathan is pretty much empty now.
    Leviathan has an interesting way of talking.
    For example, how many people are there that call Superman "alien"?
    And I wouldn't be surprised if Leviathan was revealed to be a woman. (So maybe Kathy Kane is still an option.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    My list of suspects for Leviathan is pretty much empty now.
    Leviathan has an interesting way of talking.
    For example, how many people are there that call Superman "alien"?
    And I wouldn't be surprised if Leviathan was revealed to be a woman. (So maybe Kathy Kane is still an option.)
    With Bendis' way of characterization, it doesn't really rule out anyone but the few we've seen so far.

Incredible Member

Couldn't Leviathan just be a new guy. Like just a new character entirely. Why can't that be an option?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Leviathan could be an OC, but most people probably suspect him being an established one based on his connections in & information on the caped community.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    Couldn't Leviathan just be a new guy. Like just a new character entirely. Why can't that be an option?
    He/She could be, in a "subverting expectations" kind of way, but:

1) These days, when a new character is built up with a fully-disguised body and face, and no immediately revealed origin or hints thereof, it's usually an established character.
    2) If you're going to subvert that expectation, you'd better have a danged good story up your sleeve.

I mentioned Kathy Kane earlier, but arguments for a rapidly-resurrected Roy Harper are also sound.

I thought it was ok. Amazing art! I think I was just a little disappointed that The Question, Manhunter, and Plas weren’t really featured. Yeah Manhunter showed up for a second but didn’t do anything. Loved the Jimmy Olsen and Dex Star part! What’s up with DC and heavy set black women? Yeah Amanda Waller is an awesome character but now we have Ms. Leone and lets not forget about the new version of Etta Candy.