Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I don’t know if anyone else is still reading this, but the last couple issues have been love letters to Multiversity and Superman especially. Amazing book.
    I'm still reading and loving this series. Its been excellent from the beginning.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I just read the most recent one and I was a little surprised by Manuel being gay. Was that something I just missed in the previous issues or is this a new revelation?

The whole Robbie Reed origin issue done in reverse was a delight. I actually read that one twice and it works both ways.

Should this thread have been closed, not renamed? It's a 2019 appreciation thread, not a 2020 one.

I want to make sure this thread will actually be staying open before I add it to the index.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I just read the most recent one and I was a little surprised by Manuel being gay. Was that something I just missed in the previous issues or is this a new revelation?

The whole Robbie Reed origin issue done in reverse was a delight. I actually read that one twice and it works both ways.
    The reveal of Manuel's sexual orientation was something of a swerve. I think I approve - thus far his entire narrative has been concerned with dealing with super-hero stuff, staying alive, and whatnot. He hasn't been given a breath to contemplate romance, so when the moment comes, why NOT have the character be ever-so-casually gay?

It's an interesting gambit by the writer - from his perspective, Manuel's sexuality seems to be so far down on the list of his defining characteristics that it hasn't come up during the first six issues.

Of course, if it turns out that Manuel's sexuality is a more significant factor in what makes him tick (e.g. he was bullied a lot about it, he had a traumatic coming out experience that has scarred him), then holding it back for six months MIGHT be seen as something of a cheat. I guess we'll see.

All-New Member

I love this series so much. When I first started the book, I only did so because it was a Wonder Comics book and since they were bringing back Young Justice, I wanted to support it. However, I have continued reading, because it is just that good. This book should be getting so much more love than it is. It feels like no one is talking about it. Humphries is such a great writer, the dialogue between the characters is so funny. Also, can I just say how much I love the bits when Manuel is talking directly to Superman? I think these moments are so touching. Sure, some of them are played off to be funny, but at other times Manuel is so sincere about wanting Superman's approval. I just love that. All in all an amazing book. I wish it was getting more than 12 issues.

It has been a nice series, only one issue left. Not only fo Humphries but also for Joe Quinones, who has played a lot with the different styles and narratives tricks on the book.
    I liked the characters and how Miguel is learning and screwing in the process. And all the easter eggs, homages and call backs. It has been a fun ride.
    But a minor complain and it is at this time, the H-Dial has more origins than Donna Troy.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

The structure of the issues are sometime hard to follow, but it's really a great story that was crafted by Humphries and Quinones. I hope we'll get to see more of Miguel and co in the future !

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    the H-Dial has more origins than Donna Troy.
    That made me laugh Lol.

In the original silver age comics, did DC editorial come up with all the hero concepts or were there any that were fan-submitted? I have a distant memory of reading back issues, and I seem to recall that there were editorial blurbs pointing out (for example) "Doctor Atomic was created by Sandy Shoemaker of Livonia Michigan"-- was this a fake-out by DC just to create a certain fan-friendly vibe for the series?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    In the original silver age comics, did DC editorial come up with all the hero concepts or were there any that were fan-submitted? I have a distant memory of reading back issues, and I seem to recall that there were editorial blurbs pointing out (for example) "Doctor Atomic was created by Sandy Shoemaker of Livonia Michigan"-- was this a fake-out by DC just to create a certain fan-friendly vibe for the series?
    When Dial-H was introduced the creative teams created the hero concepts.In the early 80's there was a revival where all of them were submitted by fans.