Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default That one year: everything was good

Out of all the years that you have been reading comics:

What is your favorite year and why?

While nothing is ever perfect, for me 1989 at DC Comics comes pretty darn close. The only real stinker of a series that recall that year is New Guardians.

I didnt started reading comics until like 10 years ago but if I could pick a particular year where pretty much it had no bad comics that I have read so far that would be 1999

Batman: No Man's Land started on it and pretty much all of the output of the Batman was great during that storyline and it lasted the entire year
    The Authority started too
    JLA/Titans was great
    Starman was still going
    Morrison's JLA was still going

pretty good stuff

2000. Summarized nicely in the Guide to the DC Universe: Secret Files and Origins 2000, this year had all sorts of good stuff, from Morrison's JLA to the relaunched JSA and Titans and the still new Young Justice (this was just before Sins of Youth).

Supergirl (Linda Danvers, not Kara Zor-El) was still in her Earth Angel phase; Superman had passed the whole “Electric Superman” debacle, but the writing team had managed to make lemonade out of that lemon by introducing Strange Visitor as a new energy-based hero in the containment suit; Batman had just gotten past No Man's Land and Cassandra Cain had just made her debut as Batgirl. Oracle and Black Canary were in their early days as the Birds of Prey, with Dinah not yet having recovered her Canary Cry and Huntress not yet on board with them; but the seeds were there, and a few heroines who had been badly mistreated over the previous decade were starting to reassert themselves.

What I like to call the “Dark Trinity” of the early 90s (Eradicator, Azrael, and Artemis) had been revived and rehabilitated as allies of the heroes that they had each temporarily usurped. Wally West was still the Flash, and was contending with his own “dark hero” counterpart in the form of an alternate-universe “Walter West” Dark Flash.

Frankly, the biggest downside of the year was the state of the Green Lanterns: they were still enforcing the “Kyle is the only Green Lantern” mandate, forcing Alan to call himself Sentinel and Guy to manifest Vuldarian powers rather than wield a power ring; and John Stewart was temporarily in retirement after his short stint commanding the Darkstars. And Hal was back — as the Spectre. It would be another, what, four years? before Green Lantern: Rebirth would straighten out that mess.

And yes, Jack Knight was still Starman — though his story was nearing completion.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Legends came to an end.
    Justice League International started.
    Wally as Flash started.
    Suicide Squad started.
    Post -Crisis reality solidified.

2nd pick: 1984

If I had a comic shop near me at the time, 1984 would've beat 1987.

Launch of Baxter Titans and Legion.
    Infinity, Inc.
    Justice League Detroit.
    Batman and the Outsiders, soon to get there own Baxter title.
    The last full year of pre-Crisis DCU.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

1996 for me - both Batman the Long Halloween and Kingdom Come were that year. I think Mark Waid was still writing The Flash.

1989 as a runner up with JLA/JLE and L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 as Paul Levitz was ending his Legion run and Keith Giffen would pick it up a few months later that same year.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Nothing special happened that year in the comics (though there was the first SUPERMAN movie), but I liked the status quo of the time. Ironically, DC wasn't doing that great behind the scenes, but as a kid, I sure couldn't tell. The DC Multiverse seemed perfect the way it was.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Boisterously Confused

1983:
    The New Teen Titans were just coming off their Brother Blood and Blackfire arcs, and headed toward The Judas Contract
    Batman and the Outsiders had just released.
    The Justice League of America was in the the last, glorious days of The Satellite Era
    Batman and Detective were aimed at creating good, street level comics
    All-Star Squadron was just beginning to hit full speed.

Probably my first year, 1994. I was a kid, it was all new, reading the epic Reign of the Supermen; that was just it for me.

In my teen/adult years it would probably be 2012.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Retired

1967 was the best year of my life.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

1989 is a hard year to beat. so many great new books kicked off that year like JLE, L.E.G.I.O.N, Hawkworld, Huntress, Batman Legends of the Dark Knight, Hawk and Dove, Mister Miracle, Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn, and Sandman. Not to mention the launch of the "5 Years Latter..." Legion of Superheroes series. You still had Justice League International going strong. As far as big events goes you had most of the Cosmic Odyssey series was released that year along with probably the best big event comics DC has ever done Invasion.

It is hard to beat 1989 just by the diversity in the kinds of titles they were putting out then.

I'm bad at remembering individual years, so this might be rife with inaccuracies.

Let's go with 1998.

At DC you had Morrison on JLA and he gave us DC One Million, Marz was still going strong on GL, Morrison and Millar handed Flash back to Waid, the Zero Hour Legion is my personal favorite Legion, Superman was coming out of his Electric Blue phase, and the Bat-books has Cataclysm and the lead-up to No Man's Land (which would take place the following year). Starman and Sandman Mystery Theatre were still going (right?). And Young Justice was born!

At Marvel, Busiek relaunched Avengers (I thought all five Heroes Return books were good). The X-Men got out of their massive crossover habit and Steven Seagle/Joe Kelly were putting together a nice, unheralded run.

I was reading a lot. Too much, probably.

I've never had a year, and probably never will, where I was reading most of what DC was putting out. It's just not something I'm ever going to do. But late 2012 had Morrison on Action and Azzarello on Wonder Woman, and I loved both of those runs a lot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the early New 52 is a period where "everything was good." Just that for me, that year had some of my personal favorite content.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Supes was Supes, Bats was Bats.

The JLA was on it's best run, Flash was too, we had Jack Knight and Mitch Shelley, Cass Cain was right around the corner, DC 1.000.000 was full of wonder and awesomeness. No Jason Todd and no Hal Jordan.

Yeah, DC was the best back then!
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans
    Levitz/Giffen Legion
    Infinity, Inc
    All Star Squadron
    and CRISIS ON INFINITE BLEEPING EARTHS

My God, the wait between COIE issues was excruciating, and no internet to spoil everything in advance.
    I never enjoyed collecting comics so much as that year.