Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50

Thread: King Rumour

  1. #16
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    I would actually like to see King on a Suicide Squad book, but one that is a lot more like Ostrander’s run with expendable D and F list supervillains. That way he can do whatever he wants with the characters. Plus his CIA background could give him insight into covert ops missions. I think the Suicide Squad looses a lot of its magic once you get big name characters on the team. You know everyone is going to survive as DC would never let a writer kill off Harley or Deadshot (ironically it was Ostrander’s run that made Deadshot a DC mainstay).

  2. #17
    Fantastic Member Vampire Savior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    401

    Default

    May as well copy and paste what I wrote in another topic:

    -------

    I was just telling some of these fans that Batman's sales are down because the story is of dubious quality. Of course, they wanted to come up with some weak excuses like, "Well, that's just the state of the industry, not because the comics are bad."

    Looks like DC realized that the sales aren't what they should be because of *shock* Tom King's near incomprehensible and overall lame story. I saw the latest issue of Batman and it was a freaking joke. Literally incomprehensible to a regular person. Literally incomprehensible, and Tom King, in his extreme hubris, and unprofessional self indulgence, expects readers to bother deciphering his nonsense. If I was his editor, I would have flogged him for turning in something so ridiculous. Thinking he's "clever" and trying to do some Vanilla Sky stuff... I would be trying to sell comics, not indulge Tom King.

    Simple concept: You tell bad stories and come up with bad ideas, and people stop buying the comics. DC should have booted King off Batman long ago.

  3. #18
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    39,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I would actually like to see King on a Suicide Squad book, but one that is a lot more like Ostranderís run with expendable D and F list supervillains. That way he can do whatever he wants with the characters. Plus his CIA background could give him insight into covert ops missions. I think the Suicide Squad looses a lot of its magic once you get big name characters on the team. You know everyone is going to survive as DC would never let a writer kill off Harley or Deadshot (ironically it was Ostranderís run that made Deadshot a DC mainstay).
    I never thought this before, but King actually would be a good fit for the Suicide Squad.

  4. #19
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I actually liked this run because I thought he was doing something different, but the sales spoke for themselves. Seems like both the fandom and the company want Batman to keep doing the same thing over and over and over again. Cool. Enjoy.
    But the sales were bad. So what if only 88K got ORDERED-that is few books sitting in bins.

    I mean the trades are all top 500 sellers with the last 4 among the top 200 on Amazon and top 250 for Kindle & comixology. It looks like folks outside of the comic book store are enjoying those books. Which seems to be the case with a growing number of books as of late.

    It can't be about sales overall-he's doing better than the guys doing Superman & Green Lantern & Flash.

    Now if you want to call him to the carpet for the mess known as Wally West & Duke Thomas-I could understand as he did no justice to either one.

    This smells like someone with a bigger name is hiding in the background and DC wants them on the book.

    If that is the case who is it? I don't think it's someone already in the comic field.

    Or it's someone who will represent the first (blank) to be a main writer for Batman.

  5. #20
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I actually liked this run because I thought he was doing something different, but the sales spoke for themselves. Seems like both the fandom and the company want Batman to keep doing the same thing over and over and over again. Cool. Enjoy.
    Cosigned. King's run was probably the best Batman run i read in a while. Too bad, they're going to play it safe just to coddle fans. If King is off Batman, then i'm definitely done.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I canít relate.

    DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

    Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

    Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

  6. #21
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    158

    Default

    It's not about sales. They have no one lined up. They're going to do filler issues from 85-100 until someone big can come in and take over. What do they think that's going to do to their sales?

    Clearly it's a behind the scenes clash with King and the higher ups. Or someone in the higher ups office. To have him go all the way to 85 and then not finish his planned 100 issue run, when they've got nothing to replace it with makes NO sense. And just days after he did all these interviews touting the rest of his run and how excited he was about the last 15 issues in particular, lol.

    Something weird and bizarre happened behind the scenes very quickly over the weekend. And still DC hasn't said anything officially about all this.

  7. #22
    Extraordinary Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    It's not about sales. They have no one lined up. They're going to do filler issues from 85-100 until someone big can come in and take over. What do they think that's going to do to their sales?

    Clearly it's a behind the scenes clash with King and the higher ups. Or someone in the higher ups office. To have him go all the way to 85 and then not finish his planned 100 issue run, when they've got nothing to replace it with makes NO sense. And just days after he did all these interviews touting the rest of his run and how excited he was about the last 15 issues in particular, lol.

    Something weird and bizarre happened behind the scenes very quickly over the weekend. And still DC hasn't said anything officially about all this.
    Good points. The fact that they let him keep writing the book for this long and then suddenly decide not to let him do his final 15 issues is really strange. Using the latest sales numbers feels more like an excuse to boot him, when they had the chance to do so months prior. Still, it would be kind of funny if the sales don't go up after they booted him.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-23-2019 at 03:25 PM.

  8. #23
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I would actually like to see King on a Suicide Squad book, but one that is a lot more like Ostrander’s run with expendable D and F list supervillains. That way he can do whatever he wants with the characters. Plus his CIA background could give him insight into covert ops missions. I think the Suicide Squad looses a lot of its magic once you get big name characters on the team. You know everyone is going to survive as DC would never let a writer kill off Harley or Deadshot (ironically it was Ostrander’s run that made Deadshot a DC mainstay).
    Yeah, I've thought King would be great for Suicide Squad for a while now. He could do some cool things with it, and actually make it political, which I feel has been an ingredient missing from the title since Ostrander's run.
    Currently Reading:

    DC: The Flash, Adventures of the Super Sons, Teen Titans, Justice League, Doomsday Clock, Justice League Dark, Wonder Woman

    Image: Lazarus, Black Magick

    Boom: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Go Go Power Rangers

  9. #24

    Default

    While I am disappointed we won't get to see King finish his run, I can't say as I am surprised. Didio putting a writer as idiosyncratic as King, who had never had a big mainstream hit, on DC's biggest book was always a big risk. Nothing about King's work is particularly mainstream. His work is deeply personal, upsetting, and often very challenging. Historically, that's not really what most Batman fans want from their Batman comics. They want comfort food recycling the same stories again and again. Unfortunately, while King was essentially retelling the same Batman loves Catwoman/Bane hates Batman story once again, he'd failed to provide enough comfort for far too long, instead wallowing in Batman's misery for more issues than most readers were really interested in.

    And, as much as I appreciate King's writing, I think the Knightmares arc was quite obviously a misstep. A six issue long dream sequence might be appropriate for stuff aimed at audiences who enjoy Mister Miracle, Vision, and Vertigo stuff, but not for the audiences who just want to see what happens to Batman next. It's entirely possible that the Knightmares arc might have provided some key element that would have been crucial later on, but that doesn't really appear to be the case here. When an entire six issue arc could be removed without impacting your story much, that's not a good sign.

    Add on to that the utter mismanagement of how the Batman/Catwoman marriage was marketed, the divisive nature of Heroes in Crisis, a brand new corporate head honcho with no appetite for controversy, and the already volatile temperament of superhero fandom, the writing has been on the wall for awhile now.

  10. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Yeah, I've thought King would be great for Suicide Squad for a while now. He could do some cool things with it, and actually make it political, which I feel has been an ingredient missing from the title since Ostrander's run.
    Agreed. Tom King's writing has always seemed better suited to focusing on the lesser loved characters and Suicide Squad would be a perfect place for that.

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Good points. The fact that they let him keep writing the book for this long and then suddenly decide not to let him do his final 15 issues is really strange. Using the latest sales numbers feels more like an excuse to boot him, when they had the chance to do so months prior. Still, it would be kind of funny if the sales don't go up after they booted him.
    Given King's uncompromising reputation when it comes to his stories, it's entirely possible that he was unwilling to bend on something corporate wanted him to change, and they decided he was not worth the trouble and his talents would be better utilized doing stuff like Mister Miracle, which not only received effusive critical praise, but is selling well outside the more insular superhero audience.

  12. #27
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,092

    Default

    https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1132038584100196353

    Just moving the end of his Batman run to its own comic, turns out. Since it's going monthly this might as well just be the second Batman comic a month instead, I guess.

  13. #28
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1132038584100196353

    Just moving the end of his Batman run to its own comic, turns out. Since it's going monthly this might as well just be the second Batman comic a month instead, I guess.
    Haha.

    He shifts big big numbers and so gets his very own book to play with.

    He's the biggest author they have.

  14. #29
    Helping the Helpless Denirac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Haha.

    He shifts big big numbers and so gets his very own book to play with.

    He's the biggest author they have.
    He gets his own LIMITED series. Not his osn book.
    Wally West deserved better than Heroes in Crisis

    Pull List:

    DC: JUSTICE LEAGUE, JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK, JUSTICE LEAGUE ODYSSEY, ACTION COMICS, BATMAN WHO LAUGHS

    MARVEL: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, VENOM, WEB OF VENOM, UNCANNY X-MEN, DAREDEVIL, WOLVERINE: INFINITY WATCH, FANTASTIC FOUR

    BOOM STUDIOS: BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, ANGEL

  15. #30
    Astonishing Member BatmanJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    He gets his own LIMITED series. Not his osn book.
    A distinction without a difference.

    He was never going to go past #105 which is a damn long run on "his own book." Now he's going to #85 and telling the rest in the limited series. And, according to Mitch Gerads, it's 100% in continuity.

    As a comic fan that loves Batman more than any other character and that loves King's Batman more than any other Batman, I'm over the moon about this.

    Plus, Clay Mann! This is great news for fans of King's Batman.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •