Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: King Rumour

Fantastic Member

Default King Rumour

Can't believe this Isn't already posted? What's with this rumour that King is being removed from Batman after issue #85!? Is there any truth in it. If so, what are you my fellow devotees feelings on the matter?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    Can't believe this Isn't already posted? What's with this rumour that King is being removed from Batman after issue #85!? Is there any truth in it. If so, what are you my fellow devotees feelings on the matter?
    This is true. King will have more projects for DC coming up

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/05/...t-series-early

It's been posted in the Batman forums.

My opinion is that there's likely more to the situation than we know.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I love Tom King but I haven’t enjoyed his Batman run. I think he would be better suited to different characters. Give him characters where he won’t be constrained by continuity.

Always Rakzo

Batman was always an ill-suit for him. Hell, any mainstream superhero book is an ill-suit for him so I hope they don't make him write stuff like Superman, Justice League or whatever else. Tom King is not like Grant Morrison who is flexible enough to implement his esoteric ideas in more conventional titles, not to mention that Morrison's ideas are usually more fitting for the titles he works on (despite that Morrison is also well-known for changing characterization for the sake of his themes but not to the extend of King) and if we're completely honest, Morrison is simply a much better writer despite that both use a similar "out there" direction.

Really, the best thing that DC can do is give King obscure characters where portrayals are not that cemented so he can do whatever the hell he has in mind and pray that actually turns out good.

BANNED

I think he was turning too much into a one pony trick kind of writer and for a ex CIA agent his extended arcs do come off as not particularly well informed about technique or planning. I enjoyed his mister miracle and vision and some issues of Batman but ultimately his run was never more than a extended knightfall arc. the smaller jokes and riddles and khightmares arcs were particularly a chore to get through.

Can't believe this Isn't already posted? What's with this rumour that King is being removed from Batman after issue #85!?
    My lord, do you know how many threads / how many posts there are about this somewhere else on these boards?

I actually liked this run because I thought he was doing something different, but the sales spoke for themselves. Seems like both the fandom and the company want Batman to keep doing the same thing over and over and over again. Cool. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I actually liked this run because I thought he was doing something different, but the sales spoke for themselves. Seems like both the fandom and the company want to keep seeing Batman do the same thing over and over again. Cool. Enjoy.
    Well at least, once King will depart, Batman will be doing something. It'll already be an improvement.

BANNED

With the latest information coming out regarding how editorial felt about the run and what he was doing, everything DC didn't do to make a bigger deal out of Bruce and Selina's engagement makes all the more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Really, the best thing that DC can do is give King obscure characters where portrayals are not that cemented so he can do whatever the hell he has in mind and pray that actually turns out good.
    Give him obscure or minor characters in their own little secluded corner and I think King is probably in his best environment.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I actually liked this run because I thought he was doing something different, but the sales spoke for themselves. Seems like both the fandom and the company want Batman to keep doing the same thing over and over and over again. Cool. Enjoy.
    Eh. I like Tom King, and I was a fan of his batman series, but since the Knightmares arc I'm totally lost. The problem is not that he is doing something different (my favorite arc of Batman is the Morrison one), the problem is that in the last issues, there is a real problem of pacing. It's not that I don't like this run because it's different, it's just that it's becoming boring...
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    My lord, do you know how many threads / how many posts there are about this somewhere else on these boards?
    eeeer no obviously or I wouldn't had posted. Are they very active? If so' thought they would appear on this page? If not' no harm in this one then.

eeeer no obviously or I wouldn't had posted. Are they very active? If so' thought they would appear on this page? If not' no harm in this one then.
    Go visit the separate Batman area. Then we'll talk.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Go visit the separate Batman area. Then we'll talk.
    Thank you for pointing it out.