Fantastic Member

Default Questions about Rumble

Hey all! I am reading through B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth and my favorite issues are the ones by Arcudi and Harren, so naturally I am considering Rumble, but I have a couple of questions.
    1) Are there any plan for Harren to return as the main artist?
    3) Are the first 3 volumes self-contained, or are there loose ends taken care of in following volumes?
    4) Is the book as good without Harren?
    5) Are there any plans for oversized hardcovers?
    Many thanks in advance!

Okay, so I should preface this by saying I'm not a regular reader of Rumble - so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in too.
    That said, here's what I've gathered through sampling several issues along the way.

Rumble #1-15 were done by John Arcudi & James Harren. Those are collected in Rumble volume 1: What Color of Darknes, Rumble Volume 2: A Woe That Is Madness, and Rumble Volume 3: Immortal Coil. Following these 3 storylines, the initial overarching plot of Rumble was more or less 'done' and ends on a note I won't spoil for you.

The series was then relaunched in early 2018, with David Rubin stepping in to do the art instead. The single issues (chapters) were renumbered, but the collected volumes were not (confusing, I know). So if you read the collections, it just picks up from Rumble Volume 4: Soul Without Pity, and Rumble Volume 5: Things Remote.
    Those are a pretty straight continuation from the preceding story though; I tried to jump on the series at this relaunch and was pretty confused since I knew only bits and pieces of the three preceding volumes.

I'm not aware of any plans to bring Harren back at the moment, but could be wrong there. While the art has changed it's still a good looking book with a style you don't see often outside the BPRD stable. I'd wager if you read from Volume 1 onwards, you can kinda naturally decide if you like it enough to continue after Volume 3. I think to an extent the first three tell one over-arching plot, but the continuation seemed pretty seamless given events in Volume 3 (it helps the writer is the same throughout).
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Okay, so I should preface this by saying I'm not a regular reader of Rumble - so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in too.
    That said, here's what I've gathered through sampling several issues along the way.

Rumble #1-15 were done by John Arcudi & James Harren. Those are collected in Rumble volume 1: What Color of Darknes, Rumble Volume 2: A Woe That Is Madness, and Rumble Volume 3: Immortal Coil. Following these 3 storylines, the initial overarching plot of Rumble was more or less 'done' and ends on a note I won't spoil for you.

The series was then relaunched in early 2018, with David Rubin stepping in to do the art instead. The single issues (chapters) were renumbered, but the collected volumes were not (confusing, I know). So if you read the collections, it just picks up from Rumble Volume 4: Soul Without Pity, and Rumble Volume 5: Things Remote.
    Those are a pretty straight continuation from the preceding story though; I tried to jump on the series at this relaunch and was pretty confused since I knew only bits and pieces of the three preceding volumes.

I'm not aware of any plans to bring Harren back at the moment, but could be wrong there. While the art has changed it's still a good looking book with a style you don't see often outside the BPRD stable. I'd wager if you read from Volume 1 onwards, you can kinda naturally decide if you like it enough to continue after Volume 3. I think to an extent the first three tell one over-arching plot, but the continuation seemed pretty seamless given events in Volume 3 (it helps the writer is the same throughout).
    Thanks. Would you say that someone can pick the first 3 and stop there, or does 3 end on a cliffhanger?

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    Thanks. Would you say that someone can pick the first 3 and stop there, or does 3 end on a cliffhanger?
    Cliffhanger ending for sure, setting up the next big arc. Although I suppose you could just accept it as a sort of twist/mood whiplash type ending and quit right there. I used to be very susceptible to thinking since I read the cliffhanger, I had to read on to get the full picture. Nowadays I'm much more likely to just enjoy my time with a series and jump off at some point, knowing there are more stories that precede or continue the parts I read.

It's maybe 5 pages or so of setup for the next big thing, I'm assuming this was done to clearly signal to readers there would be more to come, despite issue #15 basically concluding most of what came before. If you can accept that, I'd say it's perfectly doable to quit after volume 3, maybe if you dig the story though or are more of a completionist in how you read stuff though, you might feel compelled to continue.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Cliffhanger ending for sure, setting up the next big arc. Although I suppose you could just accept it as a sort of twist/mood whiplash type ending and quit right there. I used to be very susceptible to thinking since I read the cliffhanger, I had to read on to get the full picture. Nowadays I'm much more likely to just enjoy my time with a series and jump off at some point, knowing there are more stories that precede or continue the parts I read.

It's maybe 5 pages or so of setup for the next big thing, I'm assuming this was done to clearly signal to readers there would be more to come, despite issue #15 basically concluding most of what came before. If you can accept that, I'd say it's perfectly doable to quit after volume 3, maybe if you dig the story though or are more of a completionist in how you read stuff though, you might feel compelled to continue.
    Thanks! Exactly the answer I was looking for!