Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Has the character of Sabretooth become redundant?

do you feel that Sabretooth has lost his place in the mu and become a useless character with his inversion reverted and his terrible portrayal in paks run? is it time for the 40 year old character to go on a long hiatus similar to wolverine or can writers redeem the defanged loser he has become?

The character of "Wolverine, but better" should not be that hard to figure out, but here we are.

The answer is no, you just need a writer who knows the character's history, is interested, and can apply some retconning.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Sabrethooth can be entertaining under the right writer, so no

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I always thought that Sabes was redundant. But that's just me.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Since the 90s, yes.

Just give Brisson a book with Sabretooth leading some formerish villains and people will go wild, child.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Sabrethooth can be entertaining under the right writer, so no
    Seconded. Creed's been saddled with subpar writing for years.

Bunn did well with inverted Creed, but I think Carey was the last person to get OG Creed right. Too bad he only had him for a couple arcs before Loeb killed him off. A lot (read: nearly all) writers since then have written Creed like a idiotic, furry punching bag. Really a waste of a great character.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

BANNED

Nah. Also, we should leave this "let's retire this character for a while until we figure what to do with them" is a hallmark of the end of Alonso's tenure we must leave behind, along with the man himself.

BANNED

Seems like when he takes one step forward another writer comes and he takes two steps backwards.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Given the bulk of his track record post 2003, YES TO GOD. He's become uninteresting, depthless and over all a very fail villain that we see too much of. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Retcon View Post
    Seems like when he takes one step forward another writer comes and he takes two steps backwards.
    This. Creed has had a handful of good writers since 2003, and every time someone does something good with him, the subsequent writer will pull the rug from under him.

If they have no plans besides him being loser Wolverine punching bag, they need to just kill him off or put him on a bus. 80's - 2002 Creed I loved. But I can't call myself a fan of the thing he is post 2003.

Rosenberg is writing him joining Malekith to rule some land. Creed ruled Madripoor and was the Invisible King of East Asia. What happened to that? They forget his few villain accomplishments but I don't think they can be bribed to forget that forced romance with Mystique where he functions as her sidekick & convenient boy toy.

Bunn had great plans for Creed. But true to form, Creed was taken from him, and given to Pak who ignored everything Bunn wrote & used Creed for Meg Griffin comedy relief.

And his appearance in WoR was as bland & uninteresting as I suspected. In general, the X-Office doesn't treat Creed like character that's cared about. They could kill him off & replace him with Mojo and nothing of value is lost.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-23-2019 at 01:27 PM.

BANNED

You would think he’s been around long enough to stop being a Henchman.

I think he is redundant and superfluous/inconsequential. How is his existence justified? What's his MO and why does he still hate Wolverine (if he still does after so many decades of practically wanton and unintelligible enmity exchanged between the two)? He should be killed off permanently because he can't be re-purposed at least as a feasible adversary in a way that is compelling or innovative.

Looking at the X-Men's terrible rogues gallery, Victor is not villain team filler, a one-dimensional mutie hating human, or a robot. So he's actually one of the least-redunant X-Villains before you take the jobbing into account.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Retcon View Post
    You would think he’s been around long enough to stop being a Henchman.
    The second he's not a henchmen, books will be relaunched and a new writer will make him one again. lol

BANNED

He’s Logan’s perennial Jobber.