Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I would actually like a mini series where Sabretooth and Psylocke have to team up. Keep him villainous, just some event or adversary that forces them to have to work together.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Retcon View Post
    He’s Logan’s perennial Jobber.
    Pretty much. A Logan accessory. The Joker is how a real arch foe is done.

I am sure he's had slumps too, as old as he is. But I never read many fans calling him a joke villain the way Sabretooth is. The Joker has his own movie come out, and Batman is not involved. Meanwhile Sabretooth had two shitty film adaptations, and 1 Origins comic that was about Wolverine. lol Unlike even the Joker, Creed is not respected for his own character's sake. He just comes with Wolverine. He was better 80's - 2002 where he had guest appearances to boost sales, his own minis and even more depth & charisma. but he lost all of that since Chuck Austen.

And speaking of Arch Foe, he's pretty bad at it when Wolverine has stated he's not a thread, and that he's boring. When your supposed arch foe thinks nothing of you, you're not an arch foe. lol Just a continual nuisance.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-23-2019 at 08:52 PM.

The terrible Wolverine Evolution and even worse Sabretooth Reborn were a "recent" hiatus Sabretooth had and it did no good. As said before, you just need a good writer that is actually invested in telling a solid story with Victor Creed. I think Jason Aaron put him on a good course, making him rule the underworld in Japan (or was it Madripoor? or both?), but it was wasted by other writers. What I think the character desperately needs, especially if he's going to figure as a villain, is a great victory after an amazing fight, like he used to have in the 80's and 90's. Of course the bad guy ends up losing at the end, but in the meanwhile, he can be threatening and effective. If he's going to just play second rate villain, it would suck, but I think putting him to rest again for years won't do any good either, and at least with poor performances I can entertain myself by complaining
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Bunn was a refreshing take on the character and sadly that development has been thrown out the window. He's horrid in the material Ive seen of him lately

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    The terrible Wolverine Evolution and even worse Sabretooth Reborn were a "recent" hiatus Sabretooth had and it did no good. As said before, you just need a good writer that is actually invested in telling a solid story with Victor Creed. I think Jason Aaron put him on a good course, making him rule the underworld in Japan (or was it Madripoor? or both?), but it was wasted by other writers. What I think the character desperately needs, especially if he's going to figure as a villain, is a great victory after an amazing fight, like he used to have in the 80's and 90's. Of course the bad guy ends up losing at the end, but in the meanwhile, he can be threatening and effective. If he's going to just play second rate villain, it would suck, but I think putting him to rest again for years won't do any good either, and at least with poor performances I can entertain myself by complaining
    That is a good way to look at it. That's what I have been regulated to for years being a fan of Creed. His Appreciation thread is mainly a Complaint thread.

Another thing is bonds.

* Mystique loved Destiny and has moments of love with Kurt & Rogue.
    * Emma loves some of her students and Scott
    * Magneto cares for mutant kind & may love his children.
    * Daken has Laura & Gabby.
    * Mojo has a girlfriend! lol

The only person Creed has a relationship with is Mystique. And talk about one-sided. She's poisoned him, raped him, sold him out to save herself, hid the fact they had a son until it bit him in the ass, and was willing to get him killed trying to revive Destiny. Yet she's the only person he's got connection & loyalty to. Seeing that Power of X panel on Hix-Monday was annoying as Hell. That relationship another thing that's bland & redundant. lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-24-2019 at 12:12 AM.

To be a Sabretooth fan is to suffer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

BANNED

no, he's still great, Pak's run was really fun

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    That is a good way to look at it. That's what I have been regulated to for years being a fan of Creed. His Appreciation thread is mainly a Complaint thread.

Another thing is bonds.

* Mystique loved Destiny and has moments of love with Kurt & Rogue.
    * Emma loves some of her students and Scott
    * Magneto cares for mutant kind & may love his children.
    * Daken has Laura & Gabby.
    * Mojo has a girlfriend! lol

The only person Creed has a relationship with is Mystique. And talk about one-sided. She's poisoned him, raped him, hid the fact they had a son until it bit him in the ass, and was willing to get him killed trying to revive Destiny. Yet she's the only person he's got connection & loyalty to. Seeing that Power of X panel on Hix-Monday was annoying as Hell. That relationship another thing that's bland & redundant. lol
    In what title and issue did Mystique rape Sabertooth?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Nah. Also, we should leave this "let's retire this character for a while until we figure what to do with them" is a hallmark of the end of Alonso's tenure we must leave behind, along with the man himself.
    I prefer for writers to retire characters for a bit rather than killing them off (which is often the case in modern comics.) Just write them out until someone comes along with a plan for them.

As for Sabretooth being redundant? Well, I guess you could say that about most characters. But especially more so for those associated with the X-Men (Magneto is a prime example.) But, no. He isn't redundant. Not in my opinion.

If he's now redundant, which character(s) took his place?

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    If he's now redundant, which character(s) took his place?
    All the Wolverine derivatives. Laura, X-23, Gabby, Daken, and probably even Jimmy. All of them get better treatment & development. Hell, Laura & Daken have both started kicking his ass.

Daken's a piece of crap, he's got issues with Logan, and he's actually his son which gives him more personal connection than Creed and thus would / could / may have bigger impact than anything from Creed in the last 11 and a half years.

It's getting old seeing him be around just to get his ass kicked. Again, the ONE / ONLY exclusive preview of him we get from Hickman's era, and it's this.
    Untitledee.jpg
    Not flattering. He's not a popular character with a vocal fanbase, so nobody at the X-Office really takes him seriously. Emma fans complaining got them an X-Monday panel all about her character, depth, and development, numerous exclusive upcoming panel art, and she's gushed / talked about frequently. That's what happens with popular antagonists.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-24-2019 at 02:42 PM.

It's not Sabes' fault. He should always be a villian, though.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

As someone who isn't a fan of Sabes, any comments made here could literally apply to any one of the X-men. The only somewhat advantage he has over them is that he's a "villain" so it can be less noticeable, plus depending on the writer villain armor could lead to better writing for him opposed to most the X-men.

In short give him a good writer and he could indeed shine.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Sabretooth was supposed be Wolverine, but stronger and without any morals whatsoever, so he should always be a shadow looming over him and a major threat because not only he's stronger, but there's lines Logan will never cross, but Creed will do with a smile on his face. The problem is the fanboyism about Logan by some writers grew so much that it was inconceivable he would lose any fight and look like anything other than a complete invincible badass whose healing factor can recover from literally anything, so Sabretooth became pointless. If Logan is written rationally, no problem for Creed's existence, but if he's written like in parts of the 00's and 10's before his death, then it's going to be difficult.

BANNED

Maybe he'd make a good coat or rug?