Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bumblebee AKA Karen Beecher appreciation thread

Someone joked about it in the Titans/TT thread so I decided to create one.

Bumblebee_Teen_Titans_002.jpg

Here you go.

Astonishing Member

It is an absolute crime the way DC underused this character for decades.

Extraordinary Member

isnt she married to mal and has a baby that why she been benched indefinitely

I wasn't too familiar with her and Mal, but really enjoyed their time featured in the most recent Titans series

Is this the same version of Bumblebee that used to wear the stripped bee costume? This Bumblebee looks much younger. The other one had built-in stingers and also some kind of antennae blast.

Hell yeah, Karen and Mal need more love.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Is this the same version of Bumblebee that used to wear the stripped bee costume? This Bumblebee looks much younger. The other one had built-in stingers and also some kind of antennae blast.
    The image in the first post is from the Teen Titans cartoon, so that's a teenage version and not the modern 20-something mother.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post

That was largely due to Marv Wolfman's dislike of the 70s Titans. I remember reading a while back that George Perez said that Wolfman wanted to do away with all of the 70s Titans when he was writing New Teen Titans. After several years, Perez convinced Marv that they should revamp some of them which resulted in the Post-Crisis versions of Bumblebee, Golden Eagle, and Flame-bird(formerly Bat-Girl). Wolfman refused to greenlight a revamped version of the Harlequin aka Joker's Daughter saying something along the lines that she was just too ridiculous to be used again. Wolfman's dislike of Bumblebee would thaw as he ended up using her in a few stories Post-Crisis. Golden Eagle, however, wasn't so lucky and was killed off in Titans Hunt.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 05-25-2019 at 06:50 PM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    That was largely due to Marv Wolfman's dislike of the 70s Titans. I remember reading a while back that George Perez said that Wolfman wanted to do away with all of the 70s Titans when he was writing New Teen Titans. After several years, Perez convinced Marv that they should revamp some of them which resulted in the Post-Crisis versions of Bumblebee, Golden Eagle, and Flame-bird(formerly Bat-Girl). Wolfman refused to greenlight a revamped version of the Harlequin aka Joker's Daughter saying something along the lines that she was just too ridiculous to be used again. Wolfman's dislike of Bumblebee would thaw as he ended up using her in a few stories Post-Crisis. Golden Eagle, however, wasn't so lucky and was killed off in Titans Hunt.
    This does not surprise me, although at least he treated the other Fab Five who showed up in the book (at least from what I've read of NTT) fairly respectfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This does not surprise me, although at least he treated the other Fab Five who showed up in the book (at least from what I've read of NTT) fairly respectfully.

The proof was in New Teen Titans #50 which featured Donna Troy's wedding to Terry Long. Mal & Karen were living the happily married life, Charlie & Bette seemed like the guests that no-one was interested in catching up with, and Duela was turned into literally a "fat liar".

I know I'm in the minority here but I didn't like most of Wolfman's additions to the team. Starfire, Raven, Cyborg, and Jericho have never done much for me. Especially because I feel that Wolfman repeated their same stories over and over(Starfire longing to find a place to call home only to see her home devastated, Raven longing to be free of her father's influence only to become more like him, Cyborg longing to become more human again only to become more inhuman, etc.). When Wolfman brought back Bumblebee Post-Crisis to help with the Wildebeast situation, I was significantly surprised and excited but she only showed up for a few issues and then disappeared again until the Wildebeast Society captured most of the Titans.

I hope when the Titans return, Bumblebee with be featured on the team as a credible hero and developed accordingly.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I hope when the Titans return, Bumblebee with be featured on the team as a credible hero and developed accordingly.
    Agreed. I hope the same for other classic Titans as well (assuming DC doesn't kill them all off first) .

Some classic Bumblebee Appreciation

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Some classic Bumblebee Appreciation

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I loved Bumblebee's classic weapons. The honey-guns, the stinger-darts, the buzzing.......that being said, Perez's costume for her is my favorite.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I agree. I love the pic in the opening comment. I loved the way she looked in the 70s -- and the way Perez update her look in the 80s. I didn't care for the character or her outfit in the most recent Titans series. Too far off the mark. But let's face it -- Titans is one of DC's most poorly handled properties.