Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I didn't know until someone on another thread wrote that Bumblebee was DC's first black female super hero, created way back in the original Teen Titans in 1976. Having that distinction, it would be great if DC would showcase her more. The pre-Crisis version of the character was one of the smartest characters in the DC universe. She built the advanced, Bumblebee techo-suit which allowed her to control her size, enhance her strength, gave her the ability of flight and emit blasts. She was also very headstrong and confident. DC should incorporate those traits to the post-Rebirth version and I think they would have a really interesting character, which could arguably be a major player in the DCU.

I always liked BumbleBee. I was reading Teen Titans when she came out and was always bummed they didn't use her during the Wolfman/Perez era.
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    I didn't know until someone on another thread wrote that Bumblebee was DC's first black female super hero, created way back in the original Teen Titans in 1976. Having that distinction, it would be great if DC would showcase her more. The pre-Crisis version of the character was one of the smartest characters in the DC universe. She built the advanced, Bumblebee techo-suit which allowed her to control her size, enhance her strength, gave her the ability of flight and emit blasts. She was also very headstrong and confident. DC should incorporate those traits to the post-Rebirth version and I think they would have a really interesting character, which could arguably be a major player in the DCU.
    They had their chance, and they blew it. That's basically Unstoppable Wasp minus the Russian baby kidnap backstory. As I mentioned in the Teen Titans thread, before he was offered Wasp, Jeremy Whitley had actually pitched a Bumblebee book, which would've had the same STEM focus.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yes! Finally a Bumblebee thread! Love her
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

loved her in the show

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

A BUMBLEBEE AND THE ATOM book virtually writes itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    A BUMBLEBEE AND THE ATOM book virtually writes itself.
    She was studying under Palmer in YJ. I would love to see a book about her and Ryan being students under Dr. Palmer. Mal would get dragged along too of course.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    She was studying under Palmer in YJ. I would love to see a book about her and Ryan being students under Dr. Palmer. Mal would get dragged along too of course.
    Would not be surprised if Earth-16 Ryan and her are close.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They had their chance, and they blew it. That's basically Unstoppable Wasp minus the Russian baby kidnap backstory. As I mentioned in the Teen Titans thread, before he was offered Wasp, Jeremy Whitley had actually pitched a Bumblebee book, which would've had the same STEM focus.
    Yeah, Karen could have tapped into the same audience that's currently supporting characters like Nadia/Unstoppable Wasp and Lunella/Moon Girl. She really covers a neat niche (young scientist) not really touched on in many Titans lineups.

In some other universe, when relaunching the Teen Titans, Perez and Wolfman could have gone for established characters like Bumblebee and Lilith Clay, instead of Raven and Starfire (not that I have anything against those two ladies!), and that generation could have gone quite differently.

About the only 'issue' I have with the character is that she's too often part of a pair with Mal, and he doesn't interest me as much, in his Vox/Hornblower/whatever persona (although as Guardian, in the Young Justice cartoon, I liked him!), or as Karen's +1.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-25-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, Karen could have tapped into the same audience that's currently supporting characters like Nadia/Unstoppable Wasp and Lunella/Moon Girl. She really covers a neat niche (young scientist) not really touched on in many Titans lineups.

In some other universe, when relaunching the Teen Titans, Perez and Wolfman could have gone for established characters like Bumblebee and Lilith Clay, instead of Raven and Starfire (not that I have anything against those two ladies!), and that generation could have gone quite differently.

About the only 'issue' I have with the character is that she's too often part of a pair with Mal, and he doesn't interest me as much, in his Vox/Hornblower/whatever persona (although as Guardian, in the Young Justice cartoon, I liked him!), or as Karen's +1.
    Yeah I agree. I have no interest in Mal. I do want them together but would like for her to branch out more in her own storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Would not be surprised if Earth-16 Ryan and her are close.
    I really want to see that.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Yes we something new for Bumblebee and Mal aka the Guardian.if not the Titans maybe another team Power Co.Outsiders.JSA or even a JL Team.it was sad how DC threats these characters that people love and continue to shove Batman down our throats like he's the only hero running around the freakin universe.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    It is an absolute crime the way DC underused this character for decades.

That was largely due to Marv Wolfman's dislike of the 70s Titans. I remember reading a while back that George Perez said that Wolfman wanted to do away with all of the 70s Titans when he was writing New Teen Titans. After several years, Perez convinced Marv that they should revamp some of them which resulted in the Post-Crisis versions of Bumblebee, Golden Eagle, and Flame-bird(formerly Bat-Girl). Wolfman refused to greenlight a revamped version of the Harlequin aka Joker's Daughter saying something along the lines that she was just too ridiculous to be used again. Wolfman's dislike of Bumblebee would thaw as he ended up using her in a few stories Post-Crisis. Golden Eagle, however, wasn't so lucky and was killed off in Titans Hunt.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 05-25-2019 at 06:50 PM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post

I would definitely read that book!
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    That was largely due to Marv Wolfman's dislike of the 70s Titans. I remember reading a while back that George Perez said that Wolfman wanted to do away with all of the 70s Titans when he was writing New Teen Titans. After several years, Perez convinced Marv that they should revamp some of them which resulted in the Post-Crisis versions of Bumblebee, Golden Eagle, and Flame-bird(formerly Bat-Girl). Wolfman refused to greenlight a revamped version of the Harlequin aka Joker's Daughter saying something along the lines that she was just too ridiculous to be used again. Wolfman's dislike of Bumblebee would thaw as he ended up using her in a few stories Post-Crisis. Golden Eagle, however, wasn't so lucky and was killed off in Titans Hunt.
    This does not surprise me, although at least he treated the other Fab Five who showed up in the book (at least from what I've read of NTT) fairly respectfully.