Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Also, uh, he's gonna write a lot more Doom stuff. You have to read the Doom stuff.

Extraordinary Member

So where are they going to level Franklin's power out at? I know they are not going to completely de-power him. Maybe energy manipulation on par with Johnny's power level??

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    He said he would do this for the first year.

Also, uh, he's gonna write a lot more Doom stuff. You have to read the Doom stuff.
    I'm not too sure about that. I thought there was an interview where he said he probably would avoid using him too much.

This issue was "OK" . I didn't hate it but I thought it was "meh". The best part about it was the art but more on that.

Val and Franklin being bored and grumpy about their current circumstances. Both of them miss the good old days of rebuilding the multiverse and haven't really fit in with the neighborhood. But once again Dan Slott pulls out the ol' dependable bromide of learning the lesson of family togetherness and teamwork winning the day, yada yada in this War of the Realms tie in. The guest appearance of Lunella aka Moon Girl was bit mishandled...she came off as snotty and annoying with her prattle about her IQ level. At least Ben had a good team up with Devil Dinosaur. So the FF and the Yancy Streeters go up against some assorted Frost Giants, etc. even though the cover shows a more interesting array of opponents like the Enchantress and Skurge (?). Meanwhile, it looks like Doom will be taking on Malekith when the scene briefly shifts to Latveria in another War of the Realms tie in.

So now with the 10th issue it seems like we've had just about as many artists working on this series. I have almost forgotten Sara Pichelli started out on this. Then we briefly had Stephano Caselli until Aaron Kuder was brought in, hopefully for more issues. But then the last two issues of the Doom/Galactus arc had 3 artists on each. What's going on here?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-30-2019 at 10:30 AM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    So where are they going to level Franklin's power out at? I know they are not going to completely de-power him. Maybe energy manipulation on par with Johnny's power level??
    He'll probably end up more powerful than both Susan and Johnny, realistically. Maybe on the level with other omega level mutants like Jean, Rachel, Bobby, etc.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

it sounded like good times were on their way when they first announced the return of Fantastic Four. but this isn't even as entertaining as the claremont era imo.

BANNED

So the first 10 issues have been mixed but I think 1- 5 were great and 6-9 sucked

10 I really enjoyed and I look forward to what's next now that everything is settling down.

I want to see Psi-Lord, HUntara, and old man Nathaniel warp in and visit the kids while the parents are away. They could give Franks some cool gear to cope with his powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I'm not too sure about that. I thought there was an interview where he said he probably would avoid using him too much.

This issue was "OK" . I didn't hate it but I thought it was "meh". The best part about it was the art but more on that.

Val and Franklin being bored and grumpy about their current circumstances. Both of them miss the good old days of rebuilding the multiverse and haven't really fit in with the neighborhood. But once again Dan Slott pulls out the ol' dependable bromide of learning the lesson of family togetherness and teamwork winning the day, yada yada in this War of the Realms tie in. The guest appearance of Lunella aka Moon Girl was bit mishandled...she came off as snotty and annoying with her prattle about her IQ level. At least Ben had a good team up with Devil Dinosaur. So the FF and the Yancy Streeters go up against some assorted Frost Giants, etc. even though the cover shows a more interesting array of opponents like the Enchantress and Skurge (?). Meanwhile, it looks like Doom will be taking on Malekith when the scene briefly shifts to Latveria in another War of the Realms tie in.

So now with the 10th issue it seems like we've had just about as many artists working on this series. I have almost forgotten Sara Pichelli started out on this. Then we briefly had Stephano Caselli until Aaron Kuder was brought in, hopefully for more issues. But then the last two issues of the Doom/Galactus arc had 3 artists on each. What's going on here?
    I've finally had a chance to read this usse and peruse it in more detail. I liked it. It was far from awesome, but it was good tie-in and was extraordinary in that it mixed an event tie-in with personal book subplots. There were strengths and weaknesses.

Weaknesses include the quick afterschool special tone of emotional distress. While getting it all into 20 pages, we'd like to see some resolution, of course, but the issues of Franklin's getting along with the neighborhood and his family isn't and shouldn't be going away. He's a growing teenage boy experiencing situations very few people have experienced and for a young teenager without the adult emotional maturity often needed for this, he's a PITA. I want to see more growth in Franklin and signs he's not there yet.

I'm not sure about the Val/Lunella meeting. They acted and argued like a couple of kids and then it hit me. Of course they did. This is the meeting I've been awaiting for years and I'd love to see Moon Girl take a bigger role in the book. With all the comments made about Sue (I'm looking at you, Crimz) not having a life outside family and team, it's good to see Val connecting with someone, even if it's not a BFF relationship.

The art situation mentioned is a problem for me. I give Joe Sinnott a LOT of credit in keeping the book looking consistent after the leaving of Jack Kirby. A consistent look in the art despite multiple artists made the book look like the book. I also realize that modern art ain't like comic art used to be, but there's something wrong with a painted look for this book. An artist sticking around and putting their brand on this franchise is a hope of mine.

The family meeting went well (from my point of view, if not Franklin's). Adults acted like adults, kids acted like kids, and each character had their own personality and opinions.

All in all, a good issue. I love the family and neighborhood stuff even if Slott needs to be less blatant about it. Subtlety, even in small amounts would help this book a lot.

Looking forward to the return of the Future Foundation and Dragon Man meeting Devil Dinosaur.

Mighty Member

Not my usual review style, but this isn't a usual week for me.

Good
    - Slott has finally given a good justification for Yancy Street being the new FF headquarters.
    - Lunella and Valeria finally met.
    - The block party. All of it. I found it perfect.
    - Kids charging at Frost Giants was fun.
    - The Fantastic Four walking out in their new uniforms was a great shot.

Shrugs
    - Don't really care much for the WotR stuff that much. I understand why. I just don't care.
    - Cover is okay.

Bad
    - The art. I understand this book burns through artists like a fire burns through logs, but the lack of consistency is annoying me. Special mention goes to the coloring of Franklin's hair. It is meant to be blue and black, but issues have rarely painted, pun intended, it as such. Sometimes it's pure black. Sometimes it's pure blue. Consistency helps.
    - I'm a bit upset we only got nameless mooks for the tie-ins rather than some obscure member of Thor's Asgardian Rogues.
    - Franklin's angst about his powers fading. It makes him seem more selfish than he is. Now, if his angst was about how he simply can't recreate the creations he lost since his powers are fading, then that's a story I can get behind. Nope. We get "I'm the God who makes sacrifices" and "I used to be super-mega powerful" and "I've created xyz." It's all "I" and "me." **** you. I've coached angsty teens with bigger hearts than you.
    - Devil Dinosaur and Ben Grimm's scenes together were too short and too few. Give me more. Don't know if this is a valid critique or not.
    - Not really a slight, but a part of me wishes Val was younger so we can have Lunella and Val be the same age. It's always fun seeing children fight each other over who is smarter.
    Last edited by U.N. Owen; 05-31-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Nit picky, I know, but when and why did franklin change his hair color? Didn’t he used to be a blonde?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Nit picky, I know, but when and why did franklin change his hair color? Didn’t he used to be a blonde?
    He's dying it in this run because he's going through his sad teenager phase and to solve the problem of the book having more blondes than a 2000's comedy.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I liked it. I wish Marvel could have snapped up Marquez for this book, but he’s unfortunately going to Batman/Superman. I like the direction he’s going to take Doom in, because I hated the Bendis Doom Man run. No matter how altruistic Doom appears, his lust for power and his ego will make him revert to form every time.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    It was absolutely revealed in one of the early issues that franklin was doing this change. #4 maybe?
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I liked it. I wish Marvel could have snapped up Marquez for this book, but he’s unfortunately going to Batman/Superman. I like the direction he’s going to take Doom in, because I hated the Bendis Doom Man run. No matter how altruistic Doom appears, his lust for power and his ego will make him revert to form every time.
    So Marvel lost another artist to DC? This gets curiouser and curiouser. Love his stuff and I wish they had got him on this or maybe the Fantastic Four itself. There seems to be a revolving door of artists there anyway.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    So Marvel lost another artist to DC? This gets curiouser and curiouser. Love his stuff and I wish they had got him on this or maybe the Fantastic Four itself. There seems to be a revolving door of artists there anyway.
    maybe marvel doesn't want to pay top talent top pay, thus the young guns