Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Understandable. Personally, I trust Cameron's involvement means good things for whatever concept they use. A lot hinges on the execution.
    Agreed. Even if the plot does turn out to be as stupid as I think it sounds, I'm at least somewhat comforted it'll be a fun ride kind of stupid unlike some of the recent entries.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Terminator and T2 revolved around fears of nuclear Armageddon more than AI. The Terminators were the symbolic face of mankind's self-destructive impulses.

But now AI is becoming more of a concern in and of itself, and poses different questions (like what it would mean to be human in the age of AI). We're entering entirely uncharted territory here.

This makes the narrative relevant to contemporary concerns and leaves us with the sense that Sarah's accomplishments in T2 mean something (as opposed to T3's argument that no matter what they had done, Judgment Day was inevitable).
    Pretty much. The original was about humans destroying themselves by building better and better weapons. Skynet was just the MacGuffin to make that happen, rather than an actual representation of AI and the fear of AI. That's why it is faceless and voiceless in the original two stories, and why the Terminator was an image of death wielding machine guns rather than an AI using all the complex tools an AI would use in that type of story. (Think Sandra Bullock's "The Net" and the latest "Chucky" movie)

Mighty Member

honestly, the only part I absolutely hated was that mumble-core cover of Bjork's "the Hunter". the rest of it... just looks like yet another Terminator sequel.

Mighty Member

I got the impression that they are replacing John Conner with the young woman. IOW wiping out the only 2 good movies in this franchise.

I was thinking about the trailer...the Gabriel Luna Terminator seems to be a much more sophisticated version of the T-X from Terminator 3. I guess since T3 is out of continuity why not borrow from it.

The T-X was basically a Terminator chassis with the liquid metal polymer over it in place of human tissue, sort of a combination of the T-800 and the T-1000. Based on the commercial, though, both chassis and polymer can separate and act independent of one another (though I'm sure one "takes orders" from the other). Kinda wish they called it "Terminators" now.

Ah well, the Dark Fate subtitle will grow on me in a decade or so.

So I'm guessing that perhaps Sarah and co's actions to prevent Judgement Day in 2 might've somehow made things worse.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    This franchise ran its course
    My thoughts exactly.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    I got the impression that they are replacing John Conner with the young woman. IOW wiping out the only 2 good movies in this franchise.
    Definitely getting dead John vibes from this project. Especially in light of the SDCC reveal that Furlong is back as Connor. I'm betting they kill him off after a tiny cameo. Hell, they could even start the movie with John's death just to go for the shock value before introducing Nu-Sarah and her Nu-Reese.

Honestly, I just can't get hyped for this. The trailers look generic as all hell, and other than getting Hamilton back there just isn't any draw for me. I can get behind "We killed Skynet, and somebody created something worse" or "The machines are inevitable, if it isn't Skynet it's some other program created by some other programmer." But how are they going to make that feel any different than Skynet? I fail to see how we're doing anything but rehashing with this franchise.

Though on the plus side, it probably can't be as bad as Genisys. Woof.

Spectacular Member

Judging from the pics I've seen of Eddie i doubt we will be getting an in shape military guy.

Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    Judging from the pics I've seen of Eddie i doubt we will be getting an in shape military guy.
    Doesn't feel like you might be making an unsafe assumption?

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    This franchise ran its course
    It was never designed as a franchise to begin with. It was designed as a single, complete story designed for one movie only. Even two was straining the concept, but Cameron, Arnie, and Hamilton, and Robert Patrick were at their absolute peak and made a movie with a strained concept into one of the greatest action movies of all time.

Since then, they've kept trying to recapture that magic, but all they've done is demonstrated that trying to turn a concept designed for one-and-done into a franchise just doesn't work. If you've got an absolutely amazing crew you can stretch it into two, but then you're done. After that you're like Bilbo Baggins: too little butter spread over too much toast. Time to let go.

First off how reliable is this Midnight's Edge? Cause I'm hoping this is false:
    spoilers:
    He's saying in the context of the movie, Skynet is no more, but it didn't just send the T-1000. It sent multiple T-800s in case the T-1000 failed. They activate when the T-1000 goes offline, and shortly after the events of T2 one finds Sara and John in a bar and blows John away. So Furlong is only there to do mocap to be de-aged to the age he was in T2. Anyway, If I'm understanding this correctly, once a Terminator fulfills its mission its CPU, um, automatically switches to r/w? So that particular Terminator "feels remorse" and helps Sara kill the other T-800s. Ah and it take the name Carl. That's who we see in the trailer when Sara visits an older Arnie.

But someone, or rather something, like Skynet is like the lightbulb, destined to exist. So Legion comes to be and fills its void and everything repeats itself. There will be a future war, that girl is destined to be its savior the same way John Connor was fighting Skynet, enter Rev-2 (Luna) and Female Reese.
    end of spoilers

So, again IF true, they are following a lot of the beats of T3. spoilers:
    Cause that's exactly how we got the T-850. In exposition it was pointed out it killed John but once it did, hey, free Terminator for John's wife to use and send back in time. Luna as a more advanced T-X...other lieutenants being hunted = the "new John Connor" being hunted.
    end of spoilers