Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

I haven't seen the movie yet, but going by the Carl logic:

So if the original T-800 from 1984 or the T-1000 completed their missions of killing Sarah and John, would they then also try to settle down? Might be a little tough for the first one if he killed Sarah after the damage he suffered at the club....(The actual reason he wears sunglasses and has close cropped hair, but the sequels just kind of ran with that look)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The Terminators are sent here with their memory set to read only. This was mentioned in T2, and why in the extended cut of T2 they had to fish out his CPU from his head and physically switch it to read/write. It was assumed before if they complete their mission they would simply go to a safe site and shut down and wait for Judgement Day. But this movie apparently confirms if they complete their mission their CPU is automatically switched to read/write and they're left to their own devices.

The idea behind sending Terminators on outbound missions, with their CPU set to read only, is that if they learn too much they might become self-aware and able to make their own choices. Choices that might include choosing not to complete the very mission they were sent to do in the first place. So we're seeing this firsthand in Dark Fate. Carl completed his mission, his CPU auto-switched to read/write, he started learning about the humans around him, realized what he did was wrong and tried to "fix" it as best he can.

I've always found it a bit funny that the look some Arnold Terminators have had in the sequels was based on what happened after the club shootout damaged him-the sunglasses covering the exposed eye, and the crew cut from the burned hair. (Plus the flesh seems to have some level of decay too, as the apartment guy noticed he smelled like a dead cat).

After seeing the movie, I'm also kind of curious for what purpose the other Terminators that Sarah eliminated after John's death were sent. Sent to kill Dani at an earlier age, perhaps, but the REV-9 was the only one to pose more of a challenge? Or other messianiac resistance leaders?

The other Terminators from the deleted Skynet timeline had zero to do with Dani. They were still carrying out the program "Kill John Connor." There is no, I guess, "automatic system update" that they'd get once they come to our timeline that says "John Connor is dead, blend in with humanity, maybe start a family." lol

Left alone, I suppose they would have eventually figured out John was dead, got the auto-switch to read/write, and...became valuable members of society who just happen to all look alike. But, Carl knew Sarah needed some sort of come-uppance, so...he made it possible for her to blow them away the instant they landed.

Legion is not Skynet reborn, even if they have a bunch of similarities. They're the equivalent of someone going back in time and killing Hitler. History would adjust and simply put a Hitler-like person in his place. Or at least that's the idea Cameron/Miller are subscribing to hence the subtitle.

Yeah, I suppose they could've come at the same basic point in the future. Terminator 2's deleted opening scenes would apparently have Kyle, the T1 Terminator, "Uncle Bob" and the T-1000 all leaving at roughly the same time in the future, but with the latter two arriving at a later date in case the first one failed/were succesful etc. So I guess Skynet threw a a few extra T-800s or maybe even other models after "John" at different points, with Carl succeeding in '98.

T: DF made it seem like it was just more T-800s. More T-1000s would have made more sense but didn't T2 say it was just a prototype and as such there were no other copies? The sequels/TV show played with this idea of sending multiple models besides the T-800, but...they're now not canon. *shrug*

Why did it try to retcon T3-5, but actually rip off so many T3 ideas?

You cannot avoid judgment day
    T-800/850 killed Connor and became good.
    Rev-9 is a rip off from T-X in many ways, including the death.

At least T3 has a pretty terminator, also the ending was quite good. John Connor could change his fate after learning it from T-850.

Killing off the young John Connor is bad enough, but then use the old formula pissed more ppl off.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    After seeing the movie, I'm also kind of curious for what purpose the other Terminators that Sarah eliminated after John's death were sent. Sent to kill Dani at an earlier age, perhaps, but the REV-9 was the only one to pose more of a challenge? Or other messianiac resistance leaders?
    Sarah Connor Chronicles had them on their own missions to help build or get resources for Skynet, like getting metal for exoskeletons or hacking into government camera networks.

The movie itself isn't too bad.

But other than killing John Connor and rebrand Skynet's name, it offered nothing new other than a very unconvincing young leader.

T3 tried to set up Judgement Day and we got Salvation, which we actually saw the future war rather than trap with the same plot over and over again.
    Genysis also tried to make a new timeline by save Kyle Reese and do something with more than one timeline. Other than turning John Connor into a villain, it was ok.

I kind of feel like the question of whether your actions matter is always at the heart of any story containing time travel, in the first place. You can say Dark Fate means the efforts of the previous movies don't matter, but from a certain perspective, you can say the same about Reese's desperate struggles in the first movie -- he felt like his and Sarah's lives, and the fate of humanity with them, were on the edge of being lost the whole time, but the picture being taken at the end, being the one he'd been carrying, suggests everything that had happed was predetermined, and was going to happen.

T2 made that worse; everything that happened in the first movie never mattered, because Skynet already sent back another Teminator to a later time to kill an older John Connor ... and in fact says Skynet somehow created itself by sending the first Terminator back, and again their efforts don't matter because the enemy is in the future and its existence and threat is apparently predetermined...

So sure, Dark Fate is coming along yet again and saying everything that's happened was gonna happen and you can't fight time, yadda yadda -- it's a philosophical argument about free will versus destiny, like can there be any of the former if the latter exists at all. But that question is central to the story of the Terminator. Arguably more so than John or Sarah ... I wouldn't say so normally, but I have to admit that I liked Dark Fate, when I'd otherwise pretty much given up and abandoned the series. Never saw whatever the one right before, where John was a Terminator.

I mean, every Terminator movie is going to have to act like the previous ones didn't matter, if you want any story tension in the movie you're currently in.

Hm. Now I feel like I'm experiencing a time loop!
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Because outside of Salvation, there's only 1 plot in this franchise.
    And there lies the problem, they just keep repeating T2's plot points over and over again. Even The Sarah Connor Chronicles did it. Salvation was they only thing that was different and they still fell into their old ways.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Ah, years down the road some hard looks in the mirror at how a franchise went south into the outhouse post-Salvation.
    How an ungrateful and winey fanbase let a Christian Bale/John Connor Future War trilogy slip away due to their expectations vs what was still irks me to this day.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Ah, years down the road some hard looks in the mirror at how a franchise went south into the outhouse post-Salvation.
    How an ungrateful and winey fanbase let a Christian Bale/John Connor Future War trilogy slip away due to their expectations vs what was still irks me to this day.
    That thought crossed my mind as well. Salvation was good, not perfect, not T2, but it had potential and it tried something new. It took us to the future.
    I had some issues with the acting though.