Extraordinary Member

Default Favorite TV Game Show

I grew up in the 1970s where there were many tv game shows. But there have always been game shows on tv. What are some of your favorites?

Mine:
    1. Match Game
    2. Pyramid
    3. Concentration
    4. The Price Is Right
    5. Tattletales

In no order:
    -- Jeopardy! (Trebek)
    -- Match Game
    -- The Chase (British version)
    -- Family Feud (Dawson)
    -- Win Ben Stein's Money

Retired

My favourite all-around game show was THE HOLLYWOOD SQUARES. Ideally the 1970s version, but the later iterations were also good. This was a show that my whole family would watch together. My parents got just as much out of it as myself and my siblings. When I think of it, I think of those days and the great feeling of us all being together.

Canada had its share of weird game shows. REACH FOR THE TOP was a classic--hosted by Trebek. SCTV parodied that show. Canada also had DEFINITION. Its theme was Quincy Jones' "Soul Bossa Nova." The Dream Warriors then did a hip hop sample of that called "My Definition of a Bombastic Jazz Style." All that then inspired Mike Meyer's to use the theme for the opening dance number in AUSTIN POWERS, INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY (a Canadian in-joke).

A show I loved to watch was LA FUREUR on Radio-Canada. In French and hosted by Véronique Cloutier, the idea behind the show was a sing-a-long, where they had the lyrics on screen and panelists had to guess the missing lyrics. And they would always have a guest performer. Since a lot of the songs were in English, I could follow it quite easily. A great way to learn and improve my French. But it hasn't been on for many years.

For learning German, I used to watch WETTEN DASS . . . ?, but I only discovered it late in its run before it went off the air. They would have really big name stars on the show and it was a three hour extravaganza, with performances and interviews mixed in with contestants who had some specific skill that the guests would bet on. Because many of the guests were English-speaking, there was always some English language being spoken during the show.

My favourite thing to watch these days is the British panel show, WOULD I LIE TO YOU. There are many British panel shows but this is the one that gives me the most laughs. There are enough episodes that I've been able to rewatch it from the beginning, having forgotten which are the truths and which are the lies.

For me my favorites are Supermarket Sweep, Press Your Luck and The Match Game.

All of them the older versions not the newer ones.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Price is Right during the Bob Barker years.

Press Your Luck from the 80's No Whammy!

10,000 Dollar Pyramid from the 80's

Hollywood Squares both the old and new versions.

Family Feud particularly the Dawson era.

Scrabble I remember that being on before Days when I was a kid.

When Ben Stein's Money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Price is Right during the Bob Barker years.
    When Bob Barker was older, I used to fear for his safety that one of those overly excited contestants would jump on him or hug him too aggressively and break that fragile old man.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Trebek's Jeopardy is the only one I ever really had any interest in.

I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Retired

In our house, we were very much into the Art Fleming hosted JEOPARDY (Don Pardo was the announcer). We had the home game version which was a favourite to play: "It is the 60th most popular family name in the United States." "What is Kelly?"

We also had the home game version of CONCENTRATION. The T.V. show was hosted by Jack Barry. Such a great home game. By removing pieces from the board, a rebus is revealed and you have to figure out the answer. Sort of like WHEEL OF FORTUNE, but with pictures.

And we had the home game of VIDEO VILLAGE. The game show on T.V. didn't last long in the early 1960s. Canada's own Monty Hall was the host for most of its run (Kenny Williams the announcer). I can barely remember it--I just remember what the play area looked like and that the women had those dresses that flounced out. Actually, what I could be remembering is the children's version which was on Saturday mornings, called VIDEO VILLAGE JUNIOR. Our home game outlasted either of those shows, until we had played it so often it was falling apart.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

My partner and I are on a kick watching To Tell the Truth.

Match Game is the king for us and I also like older trivia games, like Trivia Trap and Sale of the Century.

1. Jeopardy (Trabek)
    2. Match Game
    3. Press Your Luck (80's)
    4. Price is Right (Barker)
    5. NewlyWed Game
    6. Supermarket Sweep
    7. Wheel of Fortune (80's when you won money to buy prizes)
    8. Family Feud (any of them)
    9. Jokers Wild
    10. Starcade

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Supermarket Sweep! Good call.

1. Old School Bob Barker Price is Right - Nothing against Drew, but contestants are way too over the top, and there is no creativity in the bids. Last person to bid just bids $1 over and then acts like they just cured a disease or created world peace. I find myself turning the channel quite frequently.

2. Old school Press Your Luck and the reboot Whammy - new version first half hour is ok; 2nd half is fixed. IE contestant is a fan of a certain sports team, very next spin they win season tickets. Car breaks down on the way to the show, very next spin they win a car.

3. Other favorites - Original Jokers Wild (Snoop's sucked), Tic Tac Dough, Supermarket Sweep (Leslie Jones version sucked), Match game (all versions), Hollywood Squares, Pyramid.