Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Understandable. Personally, I trust Cameron's involvement means good things for whatever concept they use. A lot hinges on the execution.
    Agreed. Even if the plot does turn out to be as stupid as I think it sounds, I'm at least somewhat comforted it'll be a fun ride kind of stupid unlike some of the recent entries.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Terminator and T2 revolved around fears of nuclear Armageddon more than AI. The Terminators were the symbolic face of mankind's self-destructive impulses.

But now AI is becoming more of a concern in and of itself, and poses different questions (like what it would mean to be human in the age of AI). We're entering entirely uncharted territory here.

This makes the narrative relevant to contemporary concerns and leaves us with the sense that Sarah's accomplishments in T2 mean something (as opposed to T3's argument that no matter what they had done, Judgment Day was inevitable).
    Pretty much. The original was about humans destroying themselves by building better and better weapons. Skynet was just the MacGuffin to make that happen, rather than an actual representation of AI and the fear of AI. That's why it is faceless and voiceless in the original two stories, and why the Terminator was an image of death wielding machine guns rather than an AI using all the complex tools an AI would use in that type of story. (Think Sandra Bullock's "The Net" and the latest "Chucky" movie)

Mighty Member

honestly, the only part I absolutely hated was that mumble-core cover of Bjork's "the Hunter". the rest of it... just looks like yet another Terminator sequel.

Incredible Member

I got the impression that they are replacing John Conner with the young woman. IOW wiping out the only 2 good movies in this franchise.