Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Ugh. I hope not. King can't be trusted on books of characters you want to stick around in any real fashion.

Fantastic Member

No no no no no no

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    . . . I could see the JSA being a possibility though . . .
    Only if DC plans to bring back the JSA then kill them off / make them emotional cripples immediately after that!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

That would be a bad fit.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Yeah I remember Tom King teased a lot about Hal teaming up with Batman before the WW&Batman arc came out. And then we never heard that again. I was wondering what happened.
    I hope he already has the script and we will see that story in another book one day.
    King talked about it on a podcast. Originally, his "Superfriends" was supposed to feature Superman and then Hal (not WW). Briefly... when King discussed about the arc with BM and Hal with the artist Joelle Jones, she told him that she would like to draw WW and King scrapped his original story with BM/Hal and made a new one to suit the artist request.

Ultimate Member

Exhibit one-Wally West in HIC

Exhibit 2-Duke Thomas in Batman

The defense rest.

Verdict-NO way do I want him near Justice League and I an NOT even reading that book.

Let him have someone like Question or Manhunter or Peacemaker or even Creeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    King talked about it on a podcast. Originally, his "Superfriends" was supposed to feature Superman and then Hal (not WW). Briefly... when King discussed about the arc with BM and Hal with the artist Joelle Jones, she told him that she would like to draw WW and King scrapped his original story with BM/Hal and made a new one to suit the artist request.
    Shame. King writes Hal really well. But it does make sense for an arc called "Superfriends" to choose WW over GL.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

The defense rest.

Verdict-NO way do I want him near Justice League and I an NOT even reading that book.

I think the best course of action is to keep Tom King away from DC's major heroes, as well. At least for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    The Wonder Woman thing being last-minute kind of explains a lot about that arc, in hindsight.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

The defense rest.

He didn't really screw Duke up, he just didn't do anything with him past the first couple of arcs.

But that was always more Snyder's story to tell.

I have only been following King's work in patches, but I started to think a bit on how he handled the women in his run, especially when it comes to Catwoman and Diana.

Because the issues that I've read of his focusing on Catwoman have been poetic, beautifully told, and deeply rooted in the past. It seems like Catwoman as written by King is either an extension of Batman—a source of personal tension and anxiety, a challenge, a hope—or a shadow of their interaction over their past 80 years. It's a fantastically rich history to draw on, and King does it well, but he doesn't manage to give Catwoman any personality or goals of her own.

When it comes to Diana, I appreciate that King tried to move away from the Xenafication that has been going on with her for quite some time. But the only thing that he really did with her was to use her as a temptation for Batman. She does get some really nice personal moments grounded in her history afterwards, but he didn't really say anything about Diana's and Batman's relation as friends and confidantes, and he didn't do anything at all with exploring how Diana and Catwoman would relate or react to each other.

Now, King does work with exactly that with Lois Lane, and the Double Date issue was a really fun and cute one, and the Catwoman–Lois interactions were one of the highlights of that story. But note how it is used. It's there to contrast and highlight Superman's and Batman's relation. While Batman's anxieties and hangups are the butt of the jokes, it is still about his anxieties and hangups. The same is even more true for the "bachelorette party" issue: Batman's worst fear seems to be Catwoman having a good time without him.

To me, King seems to be a writer who grapples with masculinity and what it means today, but for some reason he is incapable of including women as independent subjects in his models.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I didn't think worse than King on Batman was possible, but it IS possible.
    No, please no. Not even a mini-series.
    Elseworlds? Sure, why not.

Spectacular Member

imagine all the trauma that the league member must be suffering from and what fucked up stuff they will accidently do because of it.