Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

he was certainly evasive, but not just on female led movies. he doesn't want to give away anything that hasn't been announced. I think we have to wait until those movies are announced and we get further along the schedule to judge vague answers. He said he's in favor of it and I personally assume (and hope) that there will be one somewhere on the determined schedule. Jumping to conclusions doesn't help. I understand the want and even need to know, but I also understand the position he's personally in. It really is about timing - both because there's only so many movies they can make per year and because they have a story they're telling that spans all of these movies. I believe they will make a female-led movie. It will be when it fits their schedule and story. I think he has a much different mindset on it than certain other execs do.

Yes, they are ten movies in, but let's look at what that means. Primarily, it means the Avengers. The big ones. Cap, Iron Man, Thor and Hulk. They have always been the big names of Avengers. While I love each character and want them to have never-ending movie series, I also love other characters and would be okay with each only having three and then making room. I think it's understandable that, at this point, the focus was on those four and then BW had a pretty large role in a few of them. I wouldn't even call Captain America: The Winter Soldier a solo movie because the ensemble played such a large role, though the primary focus was on Cap. So, up to now, it's basically been those four with heavy doses of Fury and Widow. Ant Man was in play way before most of that ever happened because of Wright. He's the reason we're getting that. Guardians I give a pass because it's another team, it does prominently feature two women, and it's just awesome (though, yes, is led by a white male).

Going forward, they only have two-three movies to work with per yer. His plan of one sequel, one new sounds reasonable. I think it's established that Dr. Strange will be the next new one. Here's where I think we can start judging the choices and they have to balance what people want and what their long-term story is. I personally would prefer to have a Captain Marvel (Carol) movie before Dr. Strange. I think her story would nicely tie right in-between the Avengers and Guardians sides of things. I hope she is the next thing announced, but we'll see. If not, then I do hope it's something that adds diversity. Woman, non-white, both, whatever. But, I think the plan so far has been reasonable and I'm not willing to yet judge on what hasn't been announced. At least we already know we are getting a Luke Cage Netflix series, as well as a Jessica Jones one. That's pretty cool. They aren't movies, but it's a start and they will get more screen time than anyone in the movies. But, no, it's not the same thing. Funny how that is, but true.

One thing I will say is that he says people mention female-led movies and only mention the bad ones but don't bring up the good ones and then lists a few. I'll agree on the others he named, but Divergent was TERRIBLE.

Spectacular Member

Maybe they just haven't had the right story/direction for a female led story. Folks keep claiming that you could do a Black Widow spy film-- okay, but how what elements would be present to make it a Marvel movie?

It seems to me that Marvel has very, very, very long term plans. Kudos to them for not rushing. Why rush a female movie cause "fans" are demanding it. Why rush any movie. You read the article, it took lots of time for GoTG to finally happen. Black Panther doesn't have a film in the horizon but there have been rumors about it. Just be patient.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poneley View Post
    Maybe they just haven't had the right story/direction for a female led story. Folks keep claiming that you could do a Black Widow spy film-- okay, but how what elements would be present to make it a Marvel movie?

It seems to me that Marvel has very, very, very long term plans. Kudos to them for not rushing. Why rush a female movie cause "fans" are demanding it. Why rush any movie. You read the article, it took lots of time for GoTG to finally happen. Black Panther doesn't have a film in the horizon but there have been rumors about it. Just be patient.
    Actually, that's not that true. It's pretty well-known that there was going to be a Black Widow movie as far back as 2005, before Marvel Studios was a thing, and then it was axed because Black Widow is a woman and a few (bad) action films with women did poorly at the box office. It's real, the script is out there.

And, in fact, that's not where it ended. Nicole Perlman (the woman whose original drafts of Guardian of the Galaxy are pretty much the only reason there is a Guardians movie at all) had first written a treatment on a Black Widow movie that had been so well-received by Marvel that it led to her later gigs on Thor and Guardians. So, Marvel has had the potential to do a Black Widow movie for a while, and they've liked Black Widow movies.

And, of course it could be a spy film. Do you remember that movie, Captain America: The Winter Soldier? That made $95,000,000 in its opening weekend? That was film had a lot of espionage elements. In fact, Black Widow was even in that movie! I don't see anybody claiming that it wasn't a Marvel movie.

Feige paves his driveway with statements along the lines of "Every movie Marvel makes is soooo different. Thor, Cap 2, Guardians, those movies are completely tonally different from each other. It's a lot of variety!"

Also, it's really gross that you're calling the females who want a movie starring someone like them "fans" in quotation marks. I mean, maybe they aren't fans because Feige gives out statements like this over and over and over about how "maaaaaaaaaaaybe we might do one single movie without a white dude lead in it for once but like, there are so many we already did with dudes! white dudes are almost like 35% of the American population, that's a lot of dudes to get through!" That probably tests their patience, because who would stay a fan of an industry that repeatedly denies their worth to lead a narrative and marginalizes them in discussion?

All-New Member

The issue is that it really doesn't sound like someone who's being coy or evasive for future plans. It's a "we have no plans for this, despite me once saying a Black Widow film was in the cards and a script was in existence."

The question posed to him is "How close are we to a female-led film" and the only real answer in his response is "I'd like to see it sooner rather than later." And then utter bs about finding the right time. At this point, with the Marvel films being a virtual cash factory, you can't tell me they can't eke out a third movie in one year to feature a female character. (And it has the added benefit of bringing those Disney Princess fans into the Marvel fold.)
    Last edited by ProjectTintagel; 08-01-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Ultimate Member

Plus the "right time" thing isn't really much of a defense since that means that they DELIBERATELY set their universe up so that a female-led movie wouldn't be "right" a long time from the BEGINNING. Actually, that makes it WORSE because it was INTENTIONAL, as opposed to merely a foolish oversight on their part.

BANNED

I see a lot of tea leaves reading passing for analysis. I think that's more of the BS than anything Feige has said.

If Marvel is not going to start producing female or minority lead movies now when they are on top, does anyone think they are going to do it later?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah it's pretty much just Feige giving lip-service to the idea at this point. A movie featuring a anthropomorphic tree who only says one line, and a talking, gun-toting, space Raccoon is somehow easier to do than a female-led movie, bullcrap. It's like when Marvel argued that Wakanda was harder to do than Thor or GOTG, it comes across as an excuse. BW is perfectly positioned to get her own movie. People have been clamoring for a BP movie for years, and Marvel wants Carol Danvers to be their version of WW (a movie could really help in that regard). In other words Mr. Feige, either put your money where your mouth is, or stop talking about it the constant meaningless "teasing" is getting really old.
    Quote: DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun"

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectTintagel View Post
    (And it has the added benefit of bringing those Disney Princess fans into the Marvel fold.)
    I don't think Disney cares about doing that. They had the two biggest movies last year- one Disney Princess, one superhero. I think they're going to stick with that formula for a while.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pow! View Post
    I'd like to see a female-led movie, but I can understand why they're not doing it. Disney bought Marvel to get the boy market. They're about as interested in selling superheroes to girls as they are in selling Disney Princesses to boys.
    Working with the general public, I can honestly tell you that boys loved Frozen. They may not have loved it as much as the girls did, but they did love it. That's why the handheld video game they released featured Olaf.

BANNED

Like someone else said, it would be hard to make a Black Widow movie that didn't feel like Winter Soldier II. She has been an awesome character in the movies but I'm not sure she's more than a supporting character.

I think the best shot for a female led movie is Ms Marvel / Captain Marvel. There have been rumors of an Avengers II cameo of some sort. Wouldn't surprise me to see her appear in a civilian role and at some point get exposed / mutated / whatever and then get her "origin" moment in the post credits where she discovers her powers leading to a 2017 movie featuring her. Obviously if true its something that Marvel wants to keep under wraps to be non spoilerish.

I think Marvel's real problem with female characters is that all their truly popular female characters are X-women and they don't have the rights to them.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Like someone else said, it would be hard to make a Black Widow movie that didn't feel like Winter Soldier II.
    Every Iron Man movie has felt the same, Thor is the same over and over, Avengers is fighting a big group of beings again. So?

Quote Originally Posted by poneley View Post
    Well, they have tons of counter-spies to choose from. Red Guardian, being her ex, could be an interesting antagonist especially if she's paired with Hawkeye as they have a past too. Winter Soldier stayed in the US, Black Widow could take people around the Marvel Cinematic Earth with her tale. And if it has to tie into something larger just have whatever macguffin they're after be found to contain an Infinity Gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    Working with the general public, I can honestly tell you that boys loved Frozen. They may not have loved it as much as the girls did, but they did love it. That's why the handheld video game they released featured Olaf.
    Yep, one of the reasons they called it "Frozen" instead of "The Snow Queen" or "Snow Princess". Same with "Tangled". When Marvel does a sequel and an original and then a third, it's going to get obvious when all of them are starring guys.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Marvel Studios' head keeps a keen eye on exactly when and how to introduce new headliners to the Cinematic Universe while caretaking existing franchises.

Full article here.
    I always like hearing from Kevin Feige. I thought GotG was good. Feige seems to have a very long and strong plan. He's done pretty well thus far, over-seeing this whole movie venture for Marvel. I hope that he continues to have a strong and long-term position as the head of Marvel Studios.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    There's definitely crossover both ways, I'm sure some girls like Cars too. But overall, Disney knows how to market their brands and tend to focus on certain genders and ages.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
    Quote: DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun"
    And yet neither can make a female/minority led movie. So this is one area where Marvel DOESN'T have the advantage.