View Poll Results: What did you think of issue #71?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

4 28.57%
  • ★★★★

3 21.43%
  • ★★★

5 35.71%
  • ★★

0 0%
  • 2 14.29%

Default Wonder Woman #71—Love Is a Battlefield, part 3 (Spoilers)

Diana and Atlantiades continue to be confronted by the angry inhabitants of Summergrove. The discussion do not go well, and Atlantiades has to admit that they can't put things as they were before, as it is outside their powers. Instead Atlantiades unleashes all of their powers to overwhelm the minds of the inhabitants.

They are like the sun. Beauty and light as though beauty and light did not exist before they stopped into the world. And like the sun… that light is pitiless.
    Diana and Atlantiades continue to talk, but it's a child who helps bring home to Atlantiades that there is more to human life than simply following the immediate desires. Atlantiades decides to stay in Summergrove, to guide them to find a new balance. But they also come on rather heavily towards Diana, who now is so hot even the gods want her.

At the same time, Maggie's sword starts glowing, and she decides to investigate the black space in Atlantiades's shrine, despite the advice not to from Aphrodite. Maggie christens her sword Toto while citing The Wizard of Oz, and then encounters and is chased by a colossus in the shape of a minotaur. As she sets out to confront the colossus, she is saved by Diana, who had been fetched by Cadmus. Apparently the black space was the portal through which Atlantiades had arrived in our world. The issue ends on a cliffhanger with the colossus getting up again to confront the two of them.

Wilson has talked about her run turning into superhero Sandman, and there is something of that her. The issue is basically a long discussion on the limits of powers both real and self-imposed as well as on desires and responsibilities. But it ends with some nice action and what looks like real progress towards the Themyscira plotline.

In a way, the issue is more transitory than anything else: the Atlantiades plotline is not so much finished but closing out the first act, while Diana and her companions continue on with their quest. This is not a Diana who resolves to punch things to resolves them, but tries to improve the situation around herself, but also is challenged by the people involved.

Art-wise it's good. A couple of pages are done by another artist than Xermanico—Derenick and Hanna are credited on the cover but not the inner credit splash page—and while they do a good job adapting to Xermanico's style, they make Atlantiades appear much more female to me.
    Last edited by kjn; 05-24-2019 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

That so-called colossus certainly looked like one of the Dark Gods that Diana battled in Robinson's run. Are we about to be reunited with Prince Jason and the Amazons, together? Probably not, but, using Jason and the Dark Gods to bring back the Island would be an easy-peezy way to do it!

I cannot express how thrilled I am that Diana is FINALLY relating to TWO other interesting female regulars, on a regular basis. I have returned to the WW comic entirely to see the Di-Maggie-Phro dynamic happen, EVERY issue. G, Willow adding them was like watering a dying plant. We finally have something, besides Diana going punchy-stabbity, which is getting so stale, to look forward to...care about. I simply love them together and can't wait to see what they do next! Loving it!

I loved the issue, entirely. It had very little action, and the characterizations were so rich that I didn't miss it, at all. #71, for me, was a four-star winner.

Let's hope the Bat-office cares enough to give it a chance.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-24-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I'm anticipating how Diana will change once she eventually takes Giganta and Atlantiades' advice to fully embrace her power. Hopefully she won't abandon Steve, though the dissolution of their relationship unfortunately seems to be the direction this is going. Diana was too resolute in her denial of Atlantiades only to soften and be interrupted when she wished to speak of her hidden desire. Her talk of freedom and being concurred by love makes me think on some level she wants to be unbound. Interesting how Willow has worked in Marston's bondage theme in fresh new way. However this time it's self inflicted.

The big parts of the story were entertaining but paled for me next to the smaller moments. Like Diana's smirk when the towns-person issued his demands, her dismissal of Atantiades "perfection" with an exasperated eye roll, her subtle sarcasm, the casual flick of her lasso (complete with the tv show's sound effect yay!) used as a warning, were all unlike her usually unending patience and were very intriguing. It's almost as if Willow got my memo on making Wonder Woman slightly more normal with a real person's shortcomings.

Maggie's advancement in the face of danger was a joy to behold, so was Diana temporarily eliminating the threat before she could do so. The darkness in what I'm assuming are the shattered bowels of Themyscira is quickly turning Maggie into a true Amazon, but I hope that's all. Anyone who would name their mystical weapon 'Toto' is too sunny to belong in the dark.

I thought this was a great issue, as far as I'm concerned Willow is knocking the ball out the park!
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 05-24-2019 at 08:38 PM.

But I love steve's and Diana relationship. Here we go again. It happened once in new 52 but I hope this time it's different

A few more comments.

It feels like Maggie is starting to inhabit the niche that Etta used to have as a sidekick: fun-loving, boisterous, and generally positive and happy. It puts a finger on how poorly handled Etta has been for a very long time.

It's also interesting how Wilson has started to manage Diana's voice. Against Atlantiades and Aphrodite, she is consistently demanding or interrogative. Towards George she first tries to reason, and her demand is that he simply should articulate what he wants. Towards Maggie she is supporting and considerate. Towards Cadmus she is matter-of-fact and takes him seriously.

This not only places Diana as a liminal figure, negotiating between the powerful (the gods) and those with little power. It is also a reversal of the normal route of the social dynamics of power, where those with little power have demands placed on them and are forced to be considerate to those with more power.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Im just loving this story and im curious to see where it goes. The story has my full attention with this situation around Aphrodite and Atlantiades. This whole thing with Atlantiades cult has me quite curious. And Maggie really feels like she is Wilsons new project. A character who gives me a 'shes making a DC Kamala Khan' vibe with how shes portrayed and growing. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in a year Wilson manages to spin Maggie off into her own book as a superhero in the Wonder Woman wheelhouse.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Diana and Atlantiades continue to be confronted by the angry inhabitants of Summergrove. The discussion do not go well, and Atlantiades has to admit that they can't put things as they were before, as it is outside their powers. Instead Atlantiades unleashes all of their powers to overwhelm the minds of the inhabitants.

Diana and Atlantiades continue to talk, but it's a child who helps bring home to Atlantiades that there is more to human life than simply following the immediate desires. Atlantiades decides to stay in Summergrove, to guide them to find a new balance. But they also come on rather heavily towards Diana, who now is so hot even the gods want her.

At the same time, Maggie's sword starts glowing, and she decides to investigate the black space in Atlantiades's shrine, despite the advice not to from Aphrodite. Maggie christens her sword Toto while citing The Wizard of Oz, and then encounters and is chased by a colossus in the shape of a minotaur. As she sets out to confront the colossus, she is saved by Diana, who had been fetched by Cadmus. Apparently the black space was the portal through which Atlantiades had arrived in our world. The issue ends on a cliffhanger with the colossus getting up again to confront the two of them.

Wilson has talked about her run turning into superhero Sandman, and there is something of that her. The issue is basically a long discussion on the limits of powers both real and self-imposed as well as on desires and responsibilities. But it ends with some nice action and what looks like real progress towards the Themyscira plotline.

In a way, the issue is more transitory than anything else: the Atlantiades plotline is not so much finished but closing out the first act, while Diana and her companions continue on with their quest. This is not a Diana who resolves to punch things to resolves them, but tries to improve the situation around herself, but also is challenged by the people involved.

Art-wise it's good. A couple of pages are done by another artist than Xermanico—Derenick and Hanna are credited on the cover but not the inner credit splash page—and while they do a good job adapting to Xermanico's style, they make Atlantiades appear much more female to me.
    Seems to me at this point Anti-logically is just an evil corrupter. Their answer to people being upset with them is to initiate mass mind control, which for some reason Diana doesn’t see as crime enough to put an end to.

I give it three stars because the art is good, but if the Foul Beast of Slaanesh isn’t forced to remove it’s dark taint, next issue it gets a 1.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-02-2019 at 05:18 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I'm anticipating how Diana will change once she eventually takes Giganta and Atlantiades' advice to fully embrace her power. Hopefully she won't abandon Steve, though the dissolution of their relationship unfortunately seems to be the direction this is going. Diana was too resolute in her denial of Atlantiades only to soften and be interrupted when she wished to speak of her hidden desire. Her talk of freedom and being concurred by love makes me think on some level she wants to be unbound. Interesting how Willow has worked in Marston's bondage theme in fresh new way. However this time it's self inflicted.
    It’s called making a commitment to another person and being faithful to it.

Something that Aphrodite’s hedonistic corrupter of an offspring clearly cares nothing about.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-02-2019 at 05:19 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Least discussed issue of Wonder Woman that I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Least discussed issue of Wonder Woman that I can remember.
    It's like the fourth hour of a road trip, after stopping for a good meal, when everybody's full-bellied and happy and just digging the ride. Nothing eventful or even that memorable happening, right now...

Just loving the ride in my Invisible SUV.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!