Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Skimmed through the issue, given that I stopped reading XMen around the AvX debacle so I‘m not an expert, but are there really people who enjoy a poor man‘s Wolverine clone rescuing turkeys?
    This just proved again that I stay away from any X book and enjoy my old Claremont issues.

BANNED

You go do that, because the rote infatuation with and nostalgia for Claremont among both writers AND the fans is what's been dragging the franchise down. And it's not like Claremont never came up with something abjectly silly and ridiculous, either.

Quote Originally Posted by dimo1 View Post
    Skimmed through the issue, given that I stopped reading XMen around the AvX debacle so I‘m not an expert, but are there really people who enjoy a poor man‘s Wolverine clone rescuing turkeys?
    Why do that indeed? Far better to enjoy the real Wolverine roasting some turkeys instead with his new hot claws.

Claremont did base major arcs around bird people from space.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Claremont revealed Wolvie’s real name via a bunch of kidnapped leprechauns.

Claremont had Rachel turn herself into a dinosaur person..

I get that there's an appetite for nostalgia, and Claremont wrote some incredible stories, but the comics have moved on since then. The turkeys were a side note to an issue that was based around a sisterly relationship that's been built up over a few years, and Laura is anything but a poor-man's Wolverine - I love Logan but Laura has had more development in her relatively short time in the comics, than Logan has had.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    For that matter, Claremont wanted Logan to be an ACTUAL wolverine that was mutated into human form.

Amazing Member

And let us not forget, as much as I find Tamaki's arc boring as all hell it's still miles ahead of that time that Claremont actually wrote Laura. MAN that sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    For that matter, Claremont wanted Logan to be an ACTUAL wolverine that was mutated into human form.
    Between that and DinoRachel and sentient cocaine and X-babies, the implication that the X-Books being silly and weird are some new age thing is both silly and weird.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lukevmarlowe View Post
    Claremont had Rachel turn herself into a dinosaur person..

I get that there's an appetite for nostalgia, and Claremont wrote some incredible stories, but the comics have moved on since then. The turkeys were a side note to an issue that was based around a sisterly relationship that's been built up over a few years, and Laura is anything but a poor-man's Wolverine - I love Logan but Laura has had more development in her relatively short time in the comics, than Logan has had.
    That's because Logan cannot develop. Marvel screwed up and now hes lock. They cant experiment with him or have any lasting change outside of easy to work around gimmick like hot claws. Laura on the other hand is at the safe spot where you can really do anything you want along with possibly design to change over time(ex handling her depression and ptsd) . It sad to say but logans popularity really worked against developing him. It's the same argument of canceling batman's marriage. You cant have Bruce be happly married and still be batman so no marriage. Logan is the same he is literally to popular to develop. That's the problem with the classics, they are basically locked in to a few options while the lesser known characters are free for expermantion m

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    That's because Logan cannot develop. Marvel screwed up and now hes lock. They cant experiment with him or have any lasting change outside of easy to work around gimmick like hot claws. Laura on the other hand is at the safe spot where you can really do anything you want along with possibly design to change over time(ex handling her depression and ptsd) . It sad to say but logans popularity really worked against developing him. It's the same argument of canceling batman's marriage. You cant have Bruce be happly married and still be batman so no marriage. Logan is the same he is literally to popular to develop. That's the problem with the classics, they are basically locked in to a few options while the lesser known characters are free for expermantion m
    Kill him off again and have General Howlett replace him.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Somewhat disagree, you can evolve popular characters. They gave Bats and Supes a pair of sons and the series got better for them. Cyke became a much better and very different character over time as well. The problem is that sometimes experimentation just doesn't work. Sometimes we get Ric Grayson or Wally West, murderer. Same for Laura. I think most of Laura's "development" post Avengers Academy has been forced as hell and am hoping beyond hope for at least a bit of regression so the character is at least recognizable to the one I fell in love with years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Why do that indeed? Far better to enjoy the real Wolverine roasting some turkeys instead with his new hot claws.
    The mental image of this is hilarious
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Huh? Claremont didn't write House of M. That's where he learned his real name was James Howlett. I assume you're referring to when the name Logan was revealed? That's not his real name.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Huh? Claremont didn't write House of M. That's where he learned his real name was James Howlett. I assume you're referring to when the name Logan was revealed? That's not his real name.
    It was his real name in the '70s up until the retcon that he had lost his memories in the early '90s.