Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Exactly.

Take a minute a to seriously consider(and reconsider) what the odds are that DC perfectly slapped that plan together off of the cuff.

Who actually believes that is even likely? Never mind the most likely possible way it could have happened.
    It's the only thing that makes logical sense to me given that the Batman/Catwoman book won't even be starting until Jan. 2020. No way in heck were they planning on announcing it this soon not when there's a major Comic Con coming up next month.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    It's the only thing that makes logical sense to me given that the Batman/Catwoman book won't even be starting until Jan. 2020. No way in heck were they planning on announcing it this soon not when there's a major Comic Con coming up next month.
    I honestly believe if they had their way, they wouldn't have announced this until like October-ish when the January solicits would be revealed. Mainly because announcing a "Batman/Catwoman" book essentially spoils the end of City Of Bane, that in fact they do come back together, and more likely than not also spoils who the unnamed "helping hand" from the solicits is. But then the leaks forced them to have to reveal their hand, because they couldn't say nothing for THAT long.

Incredible Member

Tom King said on twitter this morning his big generational change is indeed still happening, so that convinces me that it probably is the marriage. It'll happen at the end of the Batman run and then the new book will be them married I bet.

I know a lot of people said that they didn't think him being married counts as a big enough thing to "change the character forever," but it is at least something that would probably have to be acknowledged by other writers, so I think it could count. I actually think them having a baby would be a bigger event that's much harder to get rid of/ignore- I wonder if that was part of the plan? Introduce Helena Wayne into the main continuity?

Either way, my theory that DC didn't necessarily have objections to the marriage itself, but thought a marriage/relationship driven story arc shouldn't take up 15 issues of the main Batman line looks sound. Especially when they were going back to monthly shipping.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Tom King said on twitter this morning his big generational change is indeed still happening, so that convinces me that it probably is the marriage. It'll happen at the end of the Batman run and then the new book will be them married I bet.

I know a lot of people said that they didn't think him being married counts as a big enough thing to "change the character forever," but it is at least something that would probably have to be acknowledged by other writers, so I think it could count. I actually think them having a baby would be a bigger event that's much harder to get rid of/ignore- I wonder if that was part of the plan? Introduce Helena Wayne into the main continuity?

Either way, my theory that DC didn't necessarily have objections to the marriage itself, but thought a marriage/relationship driven story arc shouldn't take up 15 issues of the main Batman line looks sound. Especially when they were going back to monthly shipping.
    I tend to agree with you. I don't think DC wanted to have their main Batman book bogged down with a relationship driven story arc for that long.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Ok. I guess we can just sit back and see what happens.
    https://ew.com/books/2019/06/13/batm...omic-tom-king/
    Relevant quote from King: “I’m working on a DCU movie now (New Gods with Ava DuVernay) and a secret TV show thing that hasn’t been announced,” King tells EW. “DC was kind enough to see that doing all that and a twice-monthly Batman would be tough. So they divided the Batman book into two monthly books, Batman and Batman/Catwoman. Bat/Cat will complete this epic story we’ve been telling and lead to this game-changing moment I’ve been hinting at. Batman will…well, I can’t tell you, but it’s very cool. But, because of the beats that will be handled in Batman, I have more room for my storylines in Bat/Cat, which means that the twelve issues can cover all of the story that was part of the original plan.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    Relevant quote from King: “I’m working on a DCU movie now (New Gods with Ava DuVernay) and a secret TV show thing that hasn’t been announced,” King tells EW. “DC was kind enough to see that doing all that and a twice-monthly Batman would be tough. So they divided the Batman book into two monthly books, Batman and Batman/Catwoman. Bat/Cat will complete this epic story we’ve been telling and lead to this game-changing moment I’ve been hinting at. Batman will…well, I can’t tell you, but it’s very cool. But, because of the beats that will be handled in Batman, I have more room for my storylines in Bat/Cat, which means that the twelve issues can cover all of the story that was part of the original plan.”
    Ok, the thing about this is, if it's leading to a "game-changing moment" that's only happening at the END (which is what he says now, that it happens in the last issue of the miniseries), how on earth is that something that will stick or change the character forever? If he's not there to cement any changes, I don't see how one shocking moment right at the end could have any real lasting power.

I kinda thought it would be marriage, but now I don't know. If they only get married at the end that could easily be undone quickly if no future writer wants to write that.

Ok, the thing about this is, if it's leading to a "game-changing moment" that's only happening at the END (which is what he says now, that it happens in the last issue of the miniseries), how on earth is that something that will stick or change the character forever? If he's not there to cement any changes, I don't see how one shocking moment right at the end could have any real lasting power.

I kinda thought it would be marriage, but now I don't know. If they only get married at the end that could easily be undone quickly if no future writer wants to write that.
    Even if it had been at the end of his run on Batman at issue 105, nothing King can do now will be able to stick if the next team doesn't want to, because even 12 issues (assuming the change actually happens in issue 85 of Batman and his explored in BAT/CAT) may not be enough, especially for something which will probably either be controversial (perhaps Batman revealing his identity to the world) or relatively unimportant (even a Bat/cat wedding can easily be ignored/retconned away/made into a "it was a plan to lure out Talia/Rogue number 1!" in the future, if the next teams don't want to be bothered by it).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Even if it had been at the end of his run on Batman at issue 105, nothing King can do now will be able to stick if the next team doesn't want to, because even 12 issues (assuming the change actually happens in issue 85 of Batman and his explored in BAT/CAT) may not be enough, especially for something which will probably either be controversial (perhaps Batman revealing his identity to the world) or relatively unimportant (even a Bat/cat wedding can easily be ignored/retconned away/made into a "it was a plan to lure out Talia/Rogue number 1!" in the future, if the next teams don't want to be bothered by it).
    Yeah. And I think this interview kinda confirms this change isn't happening in 85, it doesn't happen until the end of the Bat/Cat series. He says that that series will be the story that leads UP to the change and that now instead of Batman #100 being the biggest issue he'll write, it's Bat/Cat #12.

So whatever it is happens at the end, it doesn't spin off the book. I assumed a wedding might spin it off, so the book would be them married, but that's clearly not happening.

Fantastic Member

I posted the linked article to add information to the whole “We’re all talking about rumors!” nonsense from last week. In this interview, Tom King explicitly states that the reason he’s moving off the main book is the workload of taking on the New Gods screenplay and that DC thought creating a second monthly book by King allows them to keep publishing two Batman books a month. Lots of people in this thread surmised from available information that this is what went down and they were told their supposition was equal in standing to those who were claiming that DC did all this because they hate what King is doing on the book. This puts lie to that.

IÂ’m fairly agnostic to whether whatever King does in Bat/Cat ends up lasting beyond his run. I just want good stories and I donÂ’t want writers not writing good stories because theyÂ’re worried that the next writer might undo their good story.

- https://www.cbr.com/tom-king-explain...ampaign=CBR-TW

Tom King Explains His Batman Exit, Teases Secret Television Project
    So...

Multiple pieces that point to one thing with no "Sources" inside DC Comics supposedly pointing to that this is not the case and that the actual reality is that DC Comics "Hated King's Batman Run..."

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    *desperately holds back gloating*

Yeah. And I think this interview kinda confirms this change isn't happening in 85, it doesn't happen until the end of the Bat/Cat series. He says that that series will be the story that leads UP to the change and that now instead of Batman #100 being the biggest issue he'll write, it's Bat/Cat #12.

So whatever it is happens at the end, it doesn't spin off the book. I assumed a wedding might spin it off, so the book would be them married, but that's clearly not happening.
    I said this in another thread, but King has said even before the Bat/Cat change that 85 was supposed to be the big change, while also saying 100 as his biggest issue he's written. So now all that seems to have changed is 100 is now just Bat/Cat #12, whatever big change he had planned for 85 is still gonna happen, this just also confirms something ELSE will also be happening at the very end of the story.

Ultimate Member

Just curious how long in comics time is the whole series supposed to last...as if it's only in say days or weeks then maybe at the end of his Batman run King will have Selina find out that she's pregnant with Bruce's kid or end with them eloping and end this series with a baby...

Tbh, Tom King's reasoning makes no sense, so to help accommodate him DC cut his Batman run short b/c it's twice monthly and gave him the Bat/Cat book which is also twice monthly?

I thought all the DC books were going to be monthly now.

Unless he's saying by the time the Bat/Cat book comes out he will still be on the Batman book which would then have become just a monthly book.

But if that's the case and he's still on Batman and both Batman and the BatCat book come out once a month, isn't that equal to doing a twice monthly book which defeats the purpose of DC accommodating him.

And if he is off the Batman book by the time the BatCat book comes out couldn't he have stayed on Batman since all of DC books are going monthly anyway.

Someone make it make sense b/c right now the explanation sounds like window dressings for being essentially fired off a book with a pretence of not being fired cause of contracts.

Isn't batman/catwoman once a month only?

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Tbh, Tom King's reasoning makes no sense, so to help accommodate him DC cut his Batman run short b/c it's twice monthly and gave him the Bat/Cat book which is also twice monthly?

I thought all the DC books were going to be monthly now.

Unless he's saying by the time the Bat/Cat book comes out he will still be on the Batman book which would then have become just a monthly book.

But if that's the case and he's still on Batman and both Batman and the BatCat book come out once a month, isn't that equal to doing a twice monthly book which defeats the purpose of DC accommodating him.

And if he is off the Batman book by the time the BatCat book comes out couldn't he have stayed on Batman since all of DC books are going monthly anyway.

Someone make it make sense b/c right now the explanation sounds like window dressings for being essentially fired off a book with a pretence of not being fired cause of contracts.
    Think about if there might be more than one way of looking at the math you just laid out.