Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Im ok with this, its pretty much what I expected

Im slightly disappointed of the change back to monthly from bi-monthly for Batman

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    People don't remember Tony Daniel's first Batman run. They remember Batman and Robin.
    This
    whatever people like it or not King is pretty much the primary Batman writer until his story ends and a new one takes over.

Unless they have some major writer lined up, it'll be filler arcs until the issue #100 blowout issue introducing the actual new team's run. Moving it to a mini isn't going to stop it from being viewed as the "main" Batman book unless they have their big guns lined up right after it moves over. If it's going to be filler, they should have just kept King on the book until his run ended.
    yeah this is what I feel is the biggest problem of this whole debacle

doing this makes sense, it has been done before.
    but where is the new writer?

If the idea is removing King to boast the sales of the book, or at least the profile of the new guy then they need to do something big to follow it up otherwise what is the point?
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 05-24-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Amazing Member

Has there been any clarification regarding whether this book is properly "in continuity" or only in the sense that it is a continuation of King's story and is canon to only his Batman?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ten_to_Three View Post
    Has there been any clarification regarding whether this book is properly "in continuity" or only in the sense that it is a continuation of King's story and is canon to only his Batman?
    Mitch Gerads said it was 100% in continuity

This is a very weird question.

Why would it NOT be in-continuity?

I really dont understand why so many people are taking this anouncement as somehow the run doesnt count
    It like saying Batman & Robin didnt count, or Batman Inc or really a number of different miniseries done by DC under Batman

Morrison's Batman
    Snyder's Batman
    King's Batman

they are all the same batman

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    This is a very weird question.

Why would it NOT be in-continuity?

I really dont understand why so many people are taking this anouncement as somehow the run doesnt count
    It like saying Batman & Robin didnt count, or Batman Inc or really a number of different miniseries done by DC under Batman

Morrison's Batman
    Snyder's Batman
    King's Batman

they are all the same batman
    Because the "conditionally canon" situation is nothing new in comics. For example, Miller's ASBAR Batman is not the main universe Batman despite that he and the guy in Year One, who is the main universe Batman, are one and the same. Even Snyder's new Batman story is only canon to his Bats.
    Last edited by Ten_to_Three; 05-24-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    This is a brilliant compromise on DC's part. King can continue to conclude his story and appeal to his niche fanbase, while he is basically put out of the public spotlight. Sure it might sell well, but once the news is announced of who will replace him on the main Batman title, I promise you Tom King will become as irrelevant as Paris Hilton.

Hopefully, this is an awakening call to King for him to write better stories. It might seem impossible now, but in five years, if he subsequently pumps out comics after his Batman fiasco that were of the same tier as The Vision or Mister Miracle he will redeem himself in the eyes of the comics fandom. Not everyone would forgive him, obviously, but look at Frank Miller: After books such as Dark Knight Strikes Again, All Star Batman and Robin, and Holy Terror, Miller was a near universially hated figure. However, after his return to comics with Dark Knight: The Master Race, showing that he could still pen a comic that's relatively okay, his reputation, while not completely recovering, did get better.
    What’s it like being this delusional? Lol.

Because the complicated canon-but-not-really-canon situation is nothing new to comics. Miller's ASBAR Batman is not the main universe Batman despite that he and the guy in Year One, who is the main universe Batman, are one and the same. Even Snyder's new Batman story is only canon to his Bats.
    ASBAR Batman isn't the one from Year One, he's The Dark Knight Returns Batman, which makes more sense. Your Snyder comparison makes more sense. Like yeah, everything that happened in All-Star Batman, Detective Comics, Metal, Batman And The Outsiders, etc. is all canon to to King's Batman, he just doesn't make reference to it. So for example, if Batman and Catwoman do end up getting married, then that would still be canon to whoever takes over the main Batman book, they just may choose to not mention it or not have her pop up that much, which honestly wouldn't be hard to do at all.

Because the complicated canon-but-not-really-canon situation is nothing new to comics. Miller's ASBAR Batman is not the main universe Batman despite that he and the guy in Year One, who is the main universe Batman, are one and the same. Even Snyder's new Batman story is only canon to his Bats.
    Last Knight is kind of different than this.
    But I get your point

Its just an absurd possibility because this is what will happen definitely:
    Batman 85 will come out and at the very end of the last page it will have a message at the bottom saying "Follow the adventures of Bat & Cat next month on the new series BATMAN/CATWOMAN"
    Its hard to imaging that leading to a book not canon

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    ASBAR Batman isn't the one from Year One, he's The Dark Knight Returns Batman, which makes more sense. Your Snyder comparison makes more sense. Like yeah, everything that happened in All-Star Batman, Detective Comics, Metal, Batman And The Outsiders, etc. is all canon to to King's Batman, he just doesn't make reference to it. So for example, if Batman and Catwoman do end up getting married, then that would still be canon to whoever takes over the main Batman book, they just may choose to not mention it or not have her pop up that much, which honestly wouldn't be hard to do at all.
    Yep. Kinda like how Damian's supposed to be Batman's son and current Robin who stays at the manor (during the time he stays at the manor) but neither King nor Snyder shows them interact at home except on special Bat family occasion.

I don't think they'll be married though. I think they will continue on an official dating and ally relationship instead of will they won't they, and Selina will stay on the manor, sometimes, but they won't tie the knot.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-24-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Yep. Kinda like how Damian's supposed to be Batman's son and current Robin who stays at the manor (during the time he stays at the manor) but neither King nor Snyder shows them interact at home except on special Bat family occasion.

I don't think they'll be married though. I think they will continue on an official dating and ally relationship instead of will they won't they, and Selina will stay on the manor, sometimes, but they won't tie the knot.
    They could, but I bet it depends on whether he has permission to marry them. If they said go ahead, then I bet he'll do it. But something could happen where their marriage has to stay a secret and they have to live apart, which lets each new writer deal with it or not, depending on whether they feel like it.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    They could, but I bet it depends on whether he has permission to marry them. If they said go ahead, then I bet he'll do it. But something could happen where their marriage has to stay a secret and they have to live apart, which lets each new writer deal with it or not, depending on whether they feel like it.
    It's gonna be tough. King has been selling the idea that Catwoman is the source of Batman's happiness, while DC higher-ups subscribe to the idea that a happy Batman is not Batman... or was it King himself who said that in the interview after the failed marriage? I forgot.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    The Batman in all Frank Miller's Bat-works is one single person. Some of his experiences (covered by Year One) constitute a part of the respective lores of both main universe and Millerverse.

The Snyder story I refered to is Last Knight. This is what he said:
    Scott Snyder: It’s weird because I was thinking of this book as not so much out of continuity as just the farthest extension of the saga that we started with Court of Owls.
    So, basically, he is saying this work is compatible with and an extension of his Batman stories, but is not in the main continuity (of which his run is decidedly a part).

What I'm trying to say is, given previous examples, even if a series is by a writer formerly at the helm of a canon-defining book and is described as a continuation of the book, we can't automatically assume it will be universally recognized as canon.
    Last edited by Ten_to_Three; 05-24-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    Last Knight is kind of different than this.
    But I get your point

Its just an absurd possibility because this is what will happen definitely:
    Batman 85 will come out and at the very end of the last page it will have a message at the bottom saying "Follow the adventures of Bat & Cat next month on the new series BATMAN/CATWOMAN"
    Its hard to imaging that leading to a book not canon
    I don't find it hard to imagine, for the "canonness" of comicbook stories is not a simple canon/non-canon dichotomy, but a spectrum. I wouldn't put it past DC to attempt to both have their cake (placating fans who are invested in the romance and hoping for a wedding) and eat it (maintaining main universe status quo) by declaring what happens in the new series is canon to King's Batman only. Indeed, going for a not completely canon wedding may backfire, but it's possible that some DC higher-ups consider it a good strategy.

Fantastic Member

To me this just means tom kings batman is an alternate universe version and different from the detective comics one and the JL one too to tell you the truth so I am glad that is confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense man View Post
    To me this just means tom kings batman is an alternate universe version and different from the detective comics one and the JL one too to tell you the truth so I am glad that is confirmed.
    It's gonna be weird when they start referencing the "alt-continuity" in ongoing books.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)