Boisterously Confused

Default The Case For Monica Rambeau in the MCU

Know what doesn't work all that well in comics? Zap powers.

They just don't have the athletic, visceral power that hand to hand combat images offer. IMO, it's why characters like Quasar have never really prospered. There are exceptions, like Dr. Strange, but they mainly work because they serve a very specific interest. I've always thought this is one of the reasons that Monica never really succeeded in Marvel Comics.

Know what works remarkably well in movies? Zap powers.

Think about it:
    How much punching does the MCU have Iron Man doing?
    How amazing has The Scarlet Witch looked on screen?
    How incredible has Shiri, or Quake looked?

Now let's think about Monica. Poor, multiple name, Monica.

She's a strong woman of color. She's got Zap Powers that could be visually unbelievable.

Feige. This is your Wonder Woman, not "Captain Marvel." Wake up and smell the opportunity.

I kinda think the Captain Marvel movie itself is the mike drop argument for the character coming back, IMHO -- although I don't think it should be at Carol Danvers' expense; why can't we have both?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

**Insert Why not both? gif here**

I'd be surprised if she doesn't show up somehow in CM 2.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    **Insert Why not both? gif here**
    Seriously. It isn't an 'either or' situation, unless there's some undiscovered law of physics no one told me about?

BANNED

Zap powers don't work well in comics because the static nature of the images in inherently not visually compelling for range fighting. Moving images are much better suited to that.

I will say, though, that there've been plenty of hand to hand fights in Iron Man. One large fight involved his zap powers not being able to be used.

Another significant problem with zap powers is that it's so darn hard to figure out what they are. At one point in time Thanos mysteriously acquired zap powers. No one to my knowledge ever addressed why, how, or what they do exactly. And there have been a lot of times when it seems like it would have been a good idea (from his view) to use them, but he simply forgot about them or something. How powerful are zap powers? Who can they hurt? What are there limits?

This is a problem even for the movies. What is the distance of a zap power? Does it get weak as it goes? What the power level at 3 feet? 30 feet? 3 million feet? Will it disintegrate a normal human, or knock him out? Will it stagger Ronan? Destroy a star?

Hard to get a good understanding of zap powers

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Zap powers don't work well in comics because the static nature of the images in inherently not visually compelling for range fighting. Moving images are much better suited to that.

I will say, though, that there've been plenty of hand to hand fights in Iron Man. One large fight involved his zap powers not being able to be used.

Another significant problem with zap powers is that it's so darn hard to figure out what they are. At one point in time Thanos mysteriously acquired zap powers. No one to my knowledge ever addressed why, how, or what they do exactly. And there have been a lot of times when it seems like it would have been a good idea (from his view) to use them, but he simply forgot about them or something. How powerful are zap powers? Who can they hurt? What are there limits?

This is a problem even for the movies. What is the distance of a zap power? Does it get weak as it goes? What the power level at 3 feet? 30 feet? 3 million feet? Will it disintegrate a normal human, or knock him out? Will it stagger Ronan? Destroy a star?

Hard to get a good understanding of zap powers
    What are you referring to about Thanos? In the comics he had them in his first appearance in flashback told by Drax. In the MCU I think he had an Infinity Stone every time he zapped someone.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    She's got Zap Powers that could be visually unbelievable.
    Honestly, the MCU doesn't really do zap powers all that well, imo. I didn't like the power effects on Captain Marvel. TBH, I only every really liked lighting Thor when he was set to Led Zeppelin. The MCU is much better with physical abilities imo.

Also consider Scarlett Witch who has energy powers (or at least it's visualized as such), but it basically functions as telekinesis and she hand gestures as if it's an extension of her physical movement. To me, this work much better than Captain Marvel, because it grounds the visual with a sense of weight.
    Last edited by Gorthon616; 05-25-2019 at 08:56 AM.