Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinions on Comicstorian and Comicsexplained?

What do people think of these comic youtube channels that just spoil every issue or every story? Of course they add special voice effects to make it somewhat entertaining but I just find it kind of cringeworthy, plus there's quite nothing like actual reading the book itself and experiencing an awesome story for yourself.

Spectacular Member

They are doing God’s work by actually adding new fans to the comics industry, especially for those who can’t buy comics

I like what they do, you can't expect everyone to read every story.
    Also, as Sectal said it's great that they introduce more people to comics. I see what they do as a positive.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Like listening to Comicsexplained. Rob adds a ton of unknown background info on a comic character or event that I didn't know about. His commentary is rather enlightening and personal. Feel like I'm taking part in a great conversation.

As for spoiling storylines, I tend to avoid those videos. Usually I cave after I buy the storyline or know that I'll never buy the storyline. Helps me keep up to date with my comics facts.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

I have watched a lot more Comicsexplained than Comicstorian and I like what they do. Their enthusiasm for books have lead me to pick up some books I wouldn't normally go for. I agree reading the comics is a better way to experience them. However, it is nice to have an audio summary of stories as I focus on something else when I don't have time for rereading a run.

I find comicstorian videos annoying and Comicsexplained how can I put it too explained to the point of almost being insulting I don't need things explained that much I have a brain.

Personally I prefer looking characters and stories up on Wiki's and Databases and than getting the books and reading them for myself.

Spectacular Member

I enjoy Rob, but haven't watched anything in his channel on a long time.

Comicstorian is fun when they cover stuff I have no intention of reading.

Bonus points: Comic Pop (back issues mainly) was the one I watched the most when I was watching comic book YouTube stuff.

Spectacular Member

The only problem I have with them is they make their video titles as spoilery as possible. I get they want something that's catching, but for me it's kinda obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    What do people think of these comic youtube channels that just spoil every issue or every story? Of course they add special voice effects to make it somewhat entertaining but I just find it kind of cringeworthy, plus there's quite nothing like actual reading the book itself and experiencing an awesome story for yourself.
    Postive:
    They allow people who won't are uninterested in reading the books to still get the information in a form they will consume.

They both do a solid job of editing and constructing the videos in general.

Negative:
    They both often get large details incorrect.

They make it so buying the book is almost unnecessary, thereby making it an almost open form of pirating.

Overall, I think they are nice guys but I feel at the current juncture Marvel/DC should send them a Cease and Desist notification. Because there is a strong argument that their content is "taking" would be sales due to the nature of it being almost pirated content. Comicstorian moreso then Comicsexplained .Rob typically just goes over the history of the content. Comicstorian flat out feeds you the story, with almost all of the pages in a given book.

To add both average video watch count vastly exceeds ordered copies if that isn't a signal that the big two aren't doing something wrong I'm not sure what is.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 05-25-2019 at 06:56 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member

Rob sometimes sums up and explains lore pretty well.
    But there is also the times he didn't, the problem here is that the none-reader audience who trusted his words may end up getting led the wrong way sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Rob sometimes sums up and explains lore pretty well.
    But there is also the times he didn't, the problem here is that the none-reader audience who trusted his words may end up getting led the wrong way sometimes.
    Yep. Happens more often then people realize. Stuff like Superman and the X-Men he tends to get mostly correct but other stuff you can tell he got from a wiki page and some light reading.

But again, I think he is a nice guy. Just calling a duck a duck.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I really only watch Rob's videos but I honestly enjoy the heck out of them. These channels are cool with me.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

If people find value in them, that's cool. Personally I would rather read articles or non-fiction books on the subject rather than watch videos with roughly the same information.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

I dig ComicsExplained, but he skimps out on a lot of important details and such sometimes. Like Immortal Hulk Vol. 3(?) for example, he rushed through the Hulk in Hell arc and barely talked about TOBA.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

I like that they consolidate years of reading. Comicstorian has an annoying voice, kinda like a used car salesman, but he makes good videos. Comics Explained has been doing too many videos about what he thinks would be a good idea for comic book movies, etc. and they are pretty boring, but people will watch anything on Youtube nowadays. His best videos are when he focuses on comic lore. He's very biased too, so it can get awkward sometimes.