Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Getting into comics requires knowing years of continuity and a comic book reader can't be expected to read every book that has come out with that is relevant to characters they want to get into or every book that comes out every week. In addition to this, actually finding a point to start reading monthly books is difficult. Comicstorian and Comicsexplained make all this easier by going over important characters, items, locations and storylines and they also do this with recent stories which make entering into the weekly reading cycle easier.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Getting into comics requires knowing years of continuity and a comic book reader can't be expected to read every book that has come out with that is relevant to characters they want to get into or every book that comes out every week. In addition to this, actually finding a point to start reading monthly books is difficult. Comicstorian and Comicsexplained make all this easier by going over important characters, items, locations and storylines and they also do this with recent stories which make entering into the weekly reading cycle easier.
    I disagree with the bold. I feel that when Marvel and DC were at their best the characters were new friend you just met. Now when you meet a new friend you don't really know their past or even what they want fo their future. You just know you are interested in how they are today and what they bring to you for today.

But the best part about comic characters is that if you really want to get to know that friend better you can go back and read about them for yourself. You get to look, interpret, and to know that friend better through story. Continuity is really one of the best parts of being a Superhero comic fan. Most people who actually read the books are more often grateful for it when they get into the hobby.

Comicsexplained and Comicstorian in a sense circumvent you learning more about that friends past and who that character really is because it's given only in their perspective and not one you learn on your own. Now if thats a good or a bad thing is debatable.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    I enjoy Rob, but haven't watched anything in his channel on a long time.

Comicstorian is fun when they cover stuff I have no intention of reading.

Bonus points: Comic Pop (back issues mainly) was the one I watched the most when I was watching comic book YouTube stuff.
    Comic Pop is easily my favorite as well, at least those guys give a pretty good thought out review and doesn't show you the entire comic page by page, which just completely negates buying the actual comic itself.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I disagree with the bold. I feel that when Marvel and DC were at their best the characters were new friend you just met. Now when you meet a new friend you don't really know their past or even what they want fo their future. You just know you are interested in how they are today and what they bring to you for today.

But the best part about comic characters is that if you really want to get to know that friend better you can go back and read about them for yourself. You get to look, interpret, and to know that friend better through story. Continuity is really one of the best parts of being a Superhero comic fan. Most people who actually read the books are more often grateful for it when they get into the hobby.

Comicsexplained and Comicstorian in a sense circumvent you learning more about that friends past and who that character really is because it's given only in their perspective and not one you learn on your own. Now if thats a good or a bad thing is debatable.
    Marvel and DC are full of characters and past events that are introduced and referenced without much explanation. If you don't know what is being referenced or introduced, it is easy to get lost and lose interest in the stories and universe and that can make people not want to continue.

Comicstorian and Comicsexplained make this easier by explaining all the characters and continuity easily and in a digestible way and this, in turn, makes it easier for someone to get into the hobby. And honestly, I think they do it without leaning on their perspectives.
    Last edited by KC; 05-25-2019 at 08:09 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Marvel and DC are full of characters and past events that are introduced and referenced without much explanation. If you don't know what is being referenced or introduced, it is easy to get lost and lose interest in the stories and universe and that can make people not want to continue.

Comicstorian and Comicsexplained make this easier by explaining all the characters and continuity easily and in a digestible way and this, in turn, makes it easier for someone to get into the hobby. And honestly, I think they do it without leaning on their perspectives.
    I disagree. Comicstorian tells you everything that happens in the book, making it so you don't have to buy it at all. They make it so you never really have to invest in the hobby. Short time purchase. Low level of connectivity. No real reason to reinvest in the hobby. Their market suit those who aren't really interested in reading the books, people who will buy a book once or twice year if that, and people who want the content but don't want to pay for it.

Again, there nice guys and they do an ok job at what they do. But I wouldn't say they are doing the comic industry any favors.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 05-26-2019 at 05:23 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I disagree. Comicstorian tells you everything that happens in the book, making it so you don't have to buy it at all. They make it so you never really have to invest in the hobby. Short time purchase. Low level of connectivity. No real reason to reinvest in the hobby. Their market suit those who aren't really interested in reading the books, people who will buy a book once or twice year if that, and people who want the content but don't want to pay for it.

Again, there nice guys and they do an ok job at what they do. But I wouldn't say they are doing the comic industry any favors.
    That's kind of the point. Fans don't have time to read every story, both current and old. Comicstorian gives fans a way of knowing what has happened and what is happening so if they want to get into the hobby they would not be completely lost.

Most fans who want to get into the hobby fully will buy books to read themselves.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

I have to admit that I got back into reading comics because of them. If you don't write on forums and know how comics work, they can be very intimidating. They catch you up on the basics. However, they shouldn't be seen as replacing the books completely. I've read books and watched their videos on the same book and it wasn't the same. Even though they go into detail, they don't replace the mood of te characters of the books. It's something to listen to while getting ready to go out, preparing dinner, or while at work. That's what's good about them.

Eh maybe I'm wrong. Only time I ever go to watch Comicstorian is when there is a line I know I wont read. (Really rare that I do watch)

I wouldn't consider my buying habits "special" compared to anyone else. So with that in mind if you multiply me by a few 100 thousand people who only go to watch when they don't want to read you meet a pretty devastating census. I know I was never motivated to go out and buy a title after I watch one of their videos.

But again, I could very well be wrong. Still think Comicstorian is just open form pirating but if he is actually bring in readers then it may be ok depending on how many readers he is actually bringing in. I still don't believe it is that many. But I'm willing to admit that I don't have all the data to make a full judgement.

Astonishing Member

Comic pop and caped Joel are where I go to for reviews and suchlike

Dremaskus

So, I used to be one of those ignorant people when it comes to comic books and their nerds. Man, I just didn't get it. The same goes for anime, I know it's a different subject for another thread or forum somewhere. One day I just happened upon Comicstorian, Benny. I couldn't believe my eyes when this storyline was engaging, interesting dare I say moving! With all of the BS going on in RL. I can't wait to come home do my tasks around the house while listening to Benny, I really enjoy how much he puts into it for us, for me. The art in these Books, the stories, the one, the outs, the exhilaration, the heartfelt moments. Unbelievable. If it weren't for Comicstorian I still would be an ignorant...."Greyson." So if he or the others do get somethings wrong, I feel they are human enough, good enough to correct their mistakes. Thank You for enlightening my life expererience. Seriously, I never would have given Comic Books a chance if it weren't for Comicstorian-Benny. I still have yet to give the others a watch or listen, sorry. I will though. IMO I think Benny puts his heart into what he loves and that's Comics. The people who don't like his enthusiasm, voice acting or content should probably, oh, I don't know, simply don't watch. Better yet, why don't they do something that they love, let's see how they would or could do it better. I know I cant, that's why I am thankful for everyone that takes the time to raise my intelligence. Sorry this is long. I know people are not fond of lengthy posts. I had to tell everyone. They're not bad. Their not destroying people's knowledge of comics. I am new. He'll, my wife now wonders what happens in these stories. So with that. Thank you Comicstorian and comics explained, I will listen to more, thank you everyone for your time. "Humans are good, they just don't know it yet."