Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Morrison: One of the greatest writers in the comics medium ever. His classics are endless. Batman. New X Men. JLA. All Star Superman. Doom Patrol. Animal Man. Invisibles. He has all of the components of a great artist. Snappy dialogue (the best in comics) mad genius ideas (as everyone knows) and heart (an underrated trait of his).

Snyder: Hit or miss, and mostly miss. I respect his commencing arc on All Star Batman, his Justice League, and his Detective Comics run, but everything ranges from disposable to contemptable.

King: Jesus Christ. Where do I start? We have never seen anyone like him in the mainstream before. It's like having Dave Sim after he went insane suddenly become one of the biggest writers in the industry and given complete creative control over the Batman title. I am in awe over him more than I truly like him.

I like Snyder but much prefer his Justice League to his Batman.

I love Morrison.

King's my favorite comic book writer this side of Alan Moore.

BANNED

All 3 are bad

I’ve liked all 3. All 3 still did their best work with Dick though

Truth be told I've got to dive into Morrison's Batman work, it's a little intimidating, but I'm sure I'll like it. I have read both pre and New 52 Batman, Incorporated.

Snyder is my favourite Batman writer, that may be because I got back into comics with the New 52 and his first issue of Batman. Harper and Duke are great additions to Gotham, though I really wish that Snyder and Tynion allowed other writers to use Harper before she got sidelined (DC, bring her back you cowards). That isn't to say that everything he did was perfect:
    -Death of the Family was overhyped due to promotional pushes and tie-ins (and kind of made immediately irrelevant after Damian's death a week or two later).
    -Superheavy had potential but missed it's mark due to so hard of a focus on changing Commissioner Gordon's character and pulled away from what I thought was Snyder's concept of the run: What is Gotham? (honestly I would have preferred never knowing who was BatCop, it didn't make Commissioner Gordon grow in any way or shape in Rebirth, it's just swept under the rug.
    -Eternal was far too wide-spread with too many attached writers, tried to be everything and as such a good portion of it collapsed under it's own weight.
    -Eternal 2 tried to be four things at once: tie into the anniversary of Robin (major), relaunch Cassandra Cain (major), relaunch Jean Paul Valley (minor), and push Harper Row into the spotlight (major). I think it coinciding with Bruce's amnesia during Superheavy hurt too, because a lot of it was dependant on Bruce not being able to explain what had happened, and how to take on Mother.

I also think what hurt Harper's integration into the Batfamily was that Snyder and Tynion, for the longest time, were the only writers allowed to write her. The only other two writers who wrote her were Layman (Detective Comics 21) and Stewart/Fletcher (Batgirl 50 and Batgirl 51).

King's first arc was a rough transition from Snyder's, but it established itself during I am Suicide. The push for the Wedding was a good solidifier for the quality, I didn't find it had many bad points after Selina accepted Bruce's proposal after The War of Jokes and Riddles. The big decrease in quality has definitely been Knightmares and post. I've got a theory on what's going on in-story and why characters are acting the way they are, but the fact that it won't probably be talked about until the end of City of Bane will probably hurt review scores and more importantly sales.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Empty is thy hand!

Morrison's run is a cornerstone and a celebration of Batman's rich history.

Snyder's more concerned with going big, being shocking and remixing pop culture ideas than he is with writing a decent narrative.

King uses the blandest prose to hammer characters he's unfamiliar with into scenarios that are painfully specific to himself. I haven't enjoyed mainline Batman in a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Westbats View Post
    Truth be told I've got to dive into Morrison's Batman work, it's a little intimidating, but I'm sure I'll like it. I have read both pre and New 52 Batman, Incorporated.
    If you haven't already read it, a collected edition worth looking into is Batman: The Black Casebook.

It reprints many of the older stories / characters that are touched upon during Morrison's run.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/batma...b/4000-255893/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If you haven't already read it, a collected edition worth looking into is Batman: The Black Casebook.

It reprints many of the older stories / characters that are touched upon during Morrison's run.

I wish DC would make more of these "here's what we're referencing" collections. I know you don't enjoy King's run, but a collection with various Catwoman/Batman first meetings or romance moments (Earth 1 and 2) would be a fun companion to this run. I also wouldn't have minded a "everyone else that's been Batman" collection during Superheavy (Tim, Dick, AzBats, etc).
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I wish DC would make more of these "here's what we're referencing" collections. I know you don't enjoy King's run, but a collection with various Catwoman/Batman first meetings or romance moments (Earth 1 and 2) would be a fun companion to this run. I also wouldn't have minded a "everyone else that's been Batman" collection during Superheavy (Tim, Dick, AzBats, etc).
    That should've been The Wedding Album but they use it to collect the variant covers

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I wish DC would make more of these "here's what we're referencing" collections. I know you don't enjoy King's run, but a collection with various Catwoman/Batman first meetings or romance moments (Earth 1 and 2) would be a fun companion to this run . . .
    Also would have been a fun alternative to King's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    That should've been The Wedding Album but they use it to collect the variant covers
    The Wedding Album does include the original script for the Bride Or Burgular issue, which has all the original panels being referenced throughout the issue, which I thought was excellent, especially since I never knew many of the obscure references they were doing so that really helped clarify things.

Mighty Member

I loved Morrison's run. Particularly Batman and Robin.

Snyder I really, really disliked. Not my cup of tea at all. Lost me early and only went further off the rails when I checked back in later.

I've really enjoyed King's run. He's had some weak arcs, but show me a 70 issue run that doesn't? Definitely enjoy his more experimental style, but not at all surprised he's been controversial.

Fantastic Member

Morrison's Batman run is my favorite Batman run, and one of the best runs in Superhero comics.

Snyder was entertaining, but flawed. Felt like he was often reheating classic tropes that were done better with other writers. Capullo is the best thing about this run, for sure.

I weave in and out of King's run because I'm not a fan of his ideas regarding the character. The Bruce/Selina romance feels like cheesy fan fiction.

Incredible Member

Wasn’t a huge fan of Morrison’s run. He started off pretty good but the whole RIP and Dr Hurt stuff were terrible. I enjoyed the majority of Snyder’s run but think he depended too much on the Joker. I absolutely loathe King’s run. I’ve hated it since the very first issue of Rebirth and have kept up with it hoping that it got better but he’s incapable of writing a coherent story. I was much more of a fan of Dixon, Brubaker, and others.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation .
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.