Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

I'm a Batman fan and i don't have a favorite run... :/ Only some favorite minis and parts of runs.

Snyder: Black Mirror, The Court of Owls were excellent.
    Morrison: Batman and Robin was excellent
    King: I haven't started to read his run yet. (only the rebirth issue with Snyder out of some a strange earge of curiosity and it was ok)

I'm still at Snyder's run... I read one trade each year and get disappointed... xD I'm so bored... I'm at Bunny Armor Gordon... xD Sorry but i won't call that Batman. xD
    Last edited by Gurz; 05-27-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Morrison is by far the best of the three and in my opinion it's not even close. The fact that both Snyder and King have said that Morrison's work is an inspiration for them shows you how good it is. His run is a love letter to the character embracing all aspects of it's history while also challenging the status quo with new ideas and concepts. This panel still gives me goosebumps: ecg67bxnm9031.jpg

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Love Morrison and Snyder. Don't really care for King. I was only interested in King because he brought back Bronze Tiger.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Not a fan of any of these three runs on batman.

Morrison is probably the better but not my cup of tea.
    Snyder is one of the writers I love the least in general.
    King’s batman has some high and too many lows.

Morrison's run was incredible. Issue after issue, I was left slackjawed in amazement. One of the best runs in Batman comics history, if not the best.

Snyder's was a disappointing mess, and unfortunately King's stuff wasn't compelling enough to abate the malaise.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You may want to amend "his death" to "Batman's death", since Morrison (the only person/character mentioned in that sentence) was still alive last I was aware.
    Ha! Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    There are things about all three writers' runs that I really enjoy, and things that I dont. And some stuff that I disliked once, I have since come around on; Damian being a prime example. I couldn't stand the little bastard at first but he's grown on me over the years and now I really enjoy him.
    Ironically enough, I only really started to enjoy Damien appearances after Morrison left the Bat books.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Today I read King's run from issue 60 until the last issue and it looks to me the most neurotic possible take on Batman. If you read too many issues one after another things start to get too numb haha but I like his inventions and how he tries to build things.

Morrison the first time I read was a bit confusing but with rereading the story makes a lot more sense and has lots of great moments. Batman Inc is my favourite and the ending with Damian is epic - he could be dead after that without a problem, a good ending.

Snyder run make me tired of the big events and apocalypses at Gotham. The arc with Mr Bloom don't make any sense after Endgame and Zero Year... but the guy knows how to write a fun tale and I read today Last Knight on Earth and I'm waiting for more! Black Mirror is one of my favourite Batman stories ever, all that noir stuff with Francavilla and Jock.

BANNED

My kind of thread.

I thoroughly enjoyed Morrison's run, and Snyder & Capullo's run reinvigorated my love of Batman; I will cherish and adore that run forever. King's run has been nothing short of entertaining for me. I think if I were to reread it I would definitely skip a lot of parts because it does drag a bit, and the dialogue does get irritating, however I'm still engrossed. I sometimes wonder if King thinks his comics are art house films or something because that's what his dialogue reminds me of; it works in a lot of his stuff for me because I like those surreal/absurdist character interactions you might find in such a film, but a lot of it falls flat in Batman. Still liking it though

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Ironically enough, I only really started to enjoy Damien appearances after Morrison left the Bat books.
    Ha! Same. When Morrison introduced him, I was like "Dude, really? C'mon you're better than that!" But somewhere along the way he went from an obnoxious little sh*t to an endearing little sh*t. Not sure when, but it was long after Morrison had left the books. And Damian's interactions with Jon Kent have just really cemented him as a character I enjoy.

Never thought I'd enjoy a ten year old manifestation of all the worst aspects of the Batgod......but I do.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

I like some of Snyders Stuff (for example court of the owls), and have at least no problems with the Rest.

Morrison and King are not for me.

Morrison is way to convoluted for my taste, and I don't like the "everything is continuity"-thing.

King is someone who could probably write good one shots or Backup issues, but is way to artsy for the main Batman book. And his "humour" just doesn't work for me (and is really bad when it comes to Balancing humour with darker stuff).

I think the first book were I found Damian likeable was Streets of Gotham by Paul Dini (whos writing I usually enoy way more than Morrisons, Snyders and Kings).
    Last edited by Aahz; 06-01-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    My kind of thread.

I thoroughly enjoyed Morrison's run, and Snyder & Capullo's run reinvigorated my love of Batman; I will cherish and adore that run forever. King's run has been nothing short of entertaining for me. I think if I were to reread it I would definitely skip a lot of parts because it does drag a bit, and the dialogue does get irritating, however I'm still engrossed. I sometimes wonder if King thinks his comics are art house films or something because that's what his dialogue reminds me of; it works in a lot of his stuff for me because I like those surreal/absurdist character interactions you might find in such a film, but a lot of it falls flat in Batman. Still liking it though
    Funny enough I actually re-read both King's and Snyder's run recently, part of the reason of why I made the tread is because Im kind of remembering people complaining much more an much harsher about it than King's.
    And the thing that I got from re-reading boht is that Snder is better but I felt tha Kings was having more fun with it. With things like I am Gotham/Suicide/Bane I felt that King was having a blast just putting all of these characters together and some that just really never appeared on Batman, but then when it shift to the wedding the run stop doing arcs and focus more on doing "episodic" adventures, there are some chapters that happen before Knightmares that I had completely forgot had happen and some were hits, like the double date of Batman/Superman and some were not like the Master Bruce chp.
    I think this is what makes te story so uneven for some people, unlike King, Snyder had a more straightfoward way of writing, each arc let to the nextwith almost no one shots in between.

the other major difference between the 2 is the approach of old characters/stories. on one hand Snyder always tries to remake stuff as how he feels should be modernize, some times that works, some times it doesnt, while King is just basically a big nerd who wants to continue writing the stories of the comics he read years back, a much more traditional approach.
    The best example of these is how they both wrote KGBeast, on one hand Snyder just made him a though almost unstopable killer for hire named "The Beast" that even though it was original i felt it was pretty generic, while King just basically pull KGBeast from 1994 to the present and wrote pretty much a sequel to Night of the Beast.

I think another major difference between Snyder and King is both what exactly the stories they're telling are, and how they're doing it. Across the 52 issues, Snyder only really told 4 mostly standalone stories, The Court Of Owls (11 issues), Death Of The Family (5 issues), Zero Year (12 issues), and the Endgame saga (16 issues), with a few one-shots sprinkled in. King meanwhile, on his own admission, has been telling one really long story across the 85-ish issues, with each arc as basically a new chapter exploring the characters or themes, rather than telling its own story specifically. A good example is that someone could pick up the Zero Year or Endgame trade and be perfectly fine reading the story without knowing much else, whereas if you read The War Of Jokes And Riddles or any other trade in any order, it won't feel as much as a complete experience.

And that's not to mention all of Snyder's other supplements to his run, The Black Mirror, Batman Eternal, All-Star Batman, Metal, The Batman Who Laughs, Last Knight On Earth, plus secret weapon Tynion IV there to help, versus King who has been a mostly solo act and will probably be done with Batman for a while once Batman/Catwoman wraps up.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    Funny enough I actually re-read both King's and Snyder's run recently, part of the reason of why I made the tread is because Im kind of remembering people complaining much more an much harsher about it than King's.
    And the thing that I got from re-reading boht is that Snder is better but I felt tha Kings was having more fun with it. With things like I am Gotham/Suicide/Bane I felt that King was having a blast just putting all of these characters together and some that just really never appeared on Batman, but then when it shift to the wedding the run stop doing arcs and focus more on doing "episodic" adventures, there are some chapters that happen before Knightmares that I had completely forgot had happen and some were hits, like the double date of Batman/Superman and some were not like the Master Bruce chp.
    I think this is what makes te story so uneven for some people, unlike King, Snyder had a more straightfoward way of writing, each arc let to the nextwith almost no one shots in between.

the other major difference between the 2 is the approach of old characters/stories. on one hand Snyder always tries to remake stuff as how he feels should be modernize, some times that works, some times it doesnt, while King is just basically a big nerd who wants to continue writing the stories of the comics he read years back, a much more traditional approach.
    The best example of these is how they both wrote KGBeast, on one hand Snyder just made him a though almost unstopable killer for hire named "The Beast" that even though it was original i felt it was pretty generic, while King just basically pull KGBeast from 1994 to the present and wrote pretty much a sequel to Night of the Beast.
    Part of King’s proble, is that he just puts stuff out there with no follow up or follow through. You mentioned the double date with Superman, people really seemed to love that, however it was only a couple of issues before that Superman was waiting for Batman to come out of Kadeem or whatever it was called so he could take him in for breaking international law. He was pretty upset about it but then it just magically went away. King does this a lot in his run. Things are big and important until they aren’t.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Back on topic...

Not a fan of Morrison's Batman run, his ethos, or it's legacy. That said, B&R was pretty good and I surprised myslef by really liked Batman Inc vol 2.

Snyder's run on Batman is fast food, quick, fun and easy. I loved it at the time, but actually have a hard job re-reading it these days. There were parts of Endgame I really disliked, and post Endgame I feel he really dropped the ball. That said, The Black Mirror from 'Tec, Death of the Family and Batman: Eternal (he is credited as lead writer) are all superb.

King's run is pretty much everything I want from a Batman book. I adore it. I'm not saying every single issue is the greatest thing I've ever read, but as a Batman run, I couldn't really ask for more. I hope I still feel this way after it ends (we still have a ways to go).

Moving forward, can we please stop with the "X is a bad writer"? None of these three are bad writers, all are among the greatest currently working in the field. You not enjoying a work, does not make them a bad writer. And I appreciate, I can be as guilty of this as anyone.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

maxx85

Wasn’t a huge fan of Morrison’s run. He started off pretty good but the whole RIP and Dr Hurt stuff were terrible. I enjoyed the majority of Snyder’s run but think he depended too much on the Joker. I absolutely loathe King’s run. I’ve hated it since the very first issue of Rebirth and have kept up with it hoping that it got better but he’s incapable of writing a coherent story. I was much more of a fan of Dixon, Brubaker, and others.
    And I think that King’s run is not so bad honestly. It has some weaknesses of course, but all of them have them.