Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

That depends if he can. The way he been written and the fact many writers just wanted to get rid of him is kind of shows the lack of interested. Why could Jason have been a future tale of Diana having a son instead of Hunter? We don’t need another sibling but a better use of him. Donna and Cassie another took their own moments due to being built up and what they did in Teen Titans. Jason is written like we are suppose to accept him right away. No only that but his mom abandoning him is still in called for

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    That depends if he can. The way he been written and the fact many writers just wanted to get rid of him is kind of shows the lack of interested. Why could Jason have been a future tale of Diana having a son instead of Hunter? We don’t need another sibling but a better use of him. Donna and Cassie another took their own moments due to being built up and what they did in Teen Titans. Jason is written like we are suppose to accept him right away. No only that but his mom abandoning him is still in called for
    Yes! I liked Hunter and almost forgot all about him. He's by far the best candidate for male member of the Wonder Woman Family. Let him show up for an arc or two as Diana's alternate future child, like a male Rachel Summers.

I always wondered why not have Hunter and Fury be siblings. It would be nice to see them again

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    That depends if he can. The way he been written and the fact many writers just wanted to get rid of him is kind of shows the lack of interested. Why could Jason have been a future tale of Diana having a son instead of Hunter? We don’t need another sibling but a better use of him...
    Sargon the Sorcerer is an obscure Sensation Comics superhero, who is already defined in every way, while having no modern story. Let him, as Guardian did in the Superman comics and Andros in the 70s TV show, drop by the WW comic for the occasional team-up (1-2x, a year), becoming a familiar, trusted ally, while maintaining his own situation on the fringes of the Wonderverse. Like Wildcat and Atom, he comes out of the box, with an established look and schtick - he's a super-magician type - ready for action! All any writer need do is install him, whole cloth (turban and all), in the right WW stories, ..and let him grow into his own unique Wonder-family role, ..like narrative ramen noodles.

With two or three outings, he's Diana's carnal (like-brother) ..and an avatar for male Wonder-fans, with no one in the comic to identify with. For Wonder-purists...he's sufficiently unlike Diana, in power and background, that he is not likely to undermine her position, in her own comic.

I'm tired of waiting for some writer to do, with Prince Jason, what should be/have been ..simple, traditional and already proven successful, with the development of Supergirl, Batgirl, Huntress, Power Girl, Spider-Woman, She-Hulk, Hawkgirl, Mary Marvel, Jamie bloody'Summers...tired of it! This should have been easy. Could be easy...but can't be, somehow.

Enough.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-04-2019 at 10:01 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

But why should he be her brother? Out of everything in Dc history they haven’t respected Dc supporting cast. Why have Jason be through in the mix? Much like Donna why not have him be another baby adopted. Zeus is just a boring excuse. Having him easily be abandoning by Hippolyta shows how she simply facts the gods. I would accept him more if Zeus wasn’t his father and he wasn’t written poorly

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I'm tired of waiting for some writer to do, with Prince Jason, what should be/have been ..simple, traditional and already proven successful, with the development of Supergirl, Batgirl, Huntress, Power Girl, Spider-Woman, She-Hulk, Hawkgirl, Mary Marvel, Jamie bloody'Summers...tired of it! This should have been easy. Could be easy...but can't be, somehow.
    Comics don't exist in a vacuum. They work in society and together with other stories. And that society and those stories make us carry different expectations or assumptions or biases. One is that men are supposed to be more powerful, more active, more assertive. And often are assumed to be more interesting and marketable.

So any female spinoff character, supposed to be a junior partner to a male character easily fits into that narrative. But Jason is a male spinoff character. I don't know how the preparatory discussions went between Robinson and the editors, but their expectations that about male contra female characters certainly set the tone for Jason.

You can see a similar dynamic with the Joss Whedon script for Wonder Woman, where Steve Trevor is much more of an agent in the story than Diana is.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Comics don't exist in a vacuum. They work in society and together with other stories. And that society and those stories make us carry different expectations or assumptions or biases. One is that men are supposed to be more powerful, more active, more assertive. And often are assumed to be more interesting and marketable.

So any female spinoff character, supposed to be a junior partner to a male character easily fits into that narrative. But Jason is a male spinoff character. I don't know how the preparatory discussions went between Robinson and the editors, but their expectations that about male contra female characters certainly set the tone for Jason.

You can see a similar dynamic with the Joss Whedon script for Wonder Woman, where Steve Trevor is much more of an agent in the story than Diana is.
    Jason was a shabbily executed idea, with too much left to create from whole cloth and to develop, at the time.

Love the idea of Steve being one of a small circle of Diana's most trusted agents/allies, for whom she is developing feelings. I think that is the ultimate, feminist progress for this comic.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-05-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Not to get too far off-topic, but tired of seeing the WW comic getting robbed of its characters - the Adjudicator, in JL, being the most recent and outrageos loss. Poison Ivy, the modern, metahuman Ivy, would be a GREAT Wonder Woman villain...is anybody shoehorning her into this comic to attract Bat-fans? Ras Al Ghul would be an even better fit for WW - Diana's arch-nemesis should totally be a female, metahuman Ras Al Ghul - but, I don't see him being yanked out of Batman, ..for WW.

Taking another page out of the Bat-comics, I think the WW comic, while needing a female character core, like the Di-Maggie-Phro thing, needs some interesting male regulars, ..other than [Snore...yawn.] Steve.
    I did a fan-fic a while ago where I used Ras, WW, and Thanagarians.

The basic plot idea was that some archaeologists dug up a living mummy. The archaeologists didn't make it public because the JL encouraged them to keep it quiet. Also Nitiri just didn't want public attention. Thing is Nitiri actually did start making public appearances, just incognito. Most of these were as a member of the staff of a museum. The most high profile one was when she was invited to give a public lecture outside the museum about Egyptian history. As someone born in 1000(ish) BC she had an... interesting perspective.

Anyways, Ras became interested because he heard that one of the tombs excavated by the museum staff had the sarcophagus still sealed. So he decided to steal it and black mailed WW into doing the hard part. Thing is, in her previous life, Nitiri was considered one of the most powerful warriors who'd ever lived and revered as a demi-goddess. Yeah... Nitiri was unwilling to let WW take Atum-zat's sarcophagus and decided to fight for it... and loses. Anyways, Ras wanted to try using a Lazarus pit on a mummy that hadn't been touched.

The Thanagarian connection is in Nitiri's past. The idea I had was that a Thanagarian scientist was studying how N-th metal interacts with living things. One of the devices he made as part of experimenting ended up on Earth around 1000 BC, and Nitiri found it as a small child. It changed her body so that her body made N-th metal on it's own. Thus making Nitiri almost impossible to kill and also much stronger and tougher than a normal person. Which is the only reason she has the ability to fight WW at all.

Anyways, it's weird, but it felt like it made sense to me. These are not things tied together in comics, but they're all things that could work together if the editorial staff at DC didn't treat the books as if they're separate IPs. :P

Sargon the Sorcerer, unlike Prince Jason, comes fully loaded, with his own situation to get back to, ..but, ready for ACTION! An adventure with Diana, Hawkman and Sargon would be a winner, but, I don't want to see them become regulars (every or every other issue) in the comic! I don't think anyone does. Seeing a guy wear the W-insignia would be far less satisfying, than seeing characters, like John and Carter, helping Diana out with something...

And going away!

Furthermore, I'm not pressed to see some b-list superhero hang around the comic, being subordinate to Diana. That wasn't my playground game fantasy, when we were playing, back in the 70s. No, no, no! We always understood that being a subordinate eunuch was Steve's job.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-10-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Prince Jason is useful for similar reasons, I think.

For one thing, he's ethnically Greek and raised in Greece...there's cultural diversity for readers! Secondly, ..it's high time that Diana led a recurring (twice, a year, maybe) male superhuman, who was created for the WW comic, ..into battle! Wonder Woman having a brother, who is a superhero in modern Greece, seems entirely appropriate, I think. Like Donna, Jason carries the Wonder-brand into comics, where Wonder Woman isn't physically present, and to audiences that might not be reading the WW comic. Besides, in an age of multicultural and gender diversity, the WW comic having a male warrior, carrying the Amazon standard, ..is pretty progressive.

For our friends, who fear he undermines Wonder Woman, as an independent superheroine, well...Jason lives in Greece, and Diana ..doesn't. Don't see how he hurts anything.
    Isn't Jason also bisexual? I thought that was either stated or strongly suggested before the character disappeared along with the rest of Themyscira and Grail...

Forget Jason and bring in Prince Hippolytos, Diana's cousin, as a recurring (not regular) character. He brings another exotic locale, Aricia, with him.

Occupation: Adventurer, Virbius (immortal king title) of Aricia
    Marital Status: Married
    Known Relatives: Egeria (wife), Wonder Woman/Princess Diana (cousin), Queen Hippolyta (aunt), Donna Troy (cousin), Queen Antiope (mother), Theseus (father), Poseidon (grandfather)
    Base of Operations: Global, enchanted forests of Latium
    Group Affiliation: Amazons of Themyscira
    Height: 6'3
    Eyes: Blue
    Hair: Auburn
    Notable Appearances: The Bull From The Sea, by Mary Renault; Hippolytus, a play by Euripides

Classical Origin: Prince Hippolytos is the son of a remorseful King Theseus of Athens and the Amazon Queen Antiope, who, seeking peace between their warring nations, sealed an alliance in marriage. Charged by Theseus, with a crime he did not commit, he was driven from his kingdom and killed, when sea monsters, conjured by Theseus’s pact with Poseidon, attacked his chariot. [For a more detailed version of the myth, click here.]

In life, Prince Hippolytos had honored Antiope's Amazon ways and was devoted to Artemis, who resurrected him in an enchanted forest in Italy, far from Athens and Theseus. In this forest, Aricia, he is called 'Virbius' (a religious title, meaning 'twice a man') and rules as its immortal king. There, he erects a temple to Artemis and weds the wild, beautiful elemental, Egeria. In that sense, his story perfectly parallels the Amazons' rebirth on Themyscira. As the Amazons were the reincarnate souls of women, destroyed by man's violence, so is Antiope's son reborn, after being murdered by his own father.

Hippolytos was created an immortal by Artemis, and mythology offers no second death event for him, occurring after his resurrection by the goddess.

Powers and Abilities: As grandson of an Olympian god and son of an immortal Amazon, Hippolytos will possess superhuman strength nearly equal to Donna Troy's, and communion with Artemis gives him mental command of wild beasts. That, with his Amazon training, will make him a superior hand-to-hand combatant. His flying, fiery horses and chariot also make him a formidable opponent, as he proved in the Trojan War.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    Isn't Jason also bisexual? I thought that was either stated or strongly suggested before the character disappeared along with the rest of Themyscira and Grail...
    Jason is as straight, as an arrow...a ladies' man. He partied with some bi pals, but, there has been no hint about him being the least bit bi.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-20-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Forget Jason and bring in Prince Hippolytos, Diana's cousin, as a recurring (not regular) character. He brings another exotic locale, Aricia, with him.

Occupation: Adventurer, Virbius (immortal king title) of Aricia
    Marital Status: Married
    Known Relatives: Egeria (wife), Wonder Woman/Princess Diana (cousin), Queen Hippolyta (aunt), Donna Troy (cousin), Queen Antiope (mother), Theseus (father), Poseidon (grandfather)
    Base of Operations: Global, enchanted forests of Aricia
    Group Affiliation: Amazons of Themyscira
    Height: 6'3
    Eyes: Blue
    Hair: Auburn
    Notable Appearances: The Bull From The Sea, by Mary Renault; Hippolytus, a play by Euripides

Classical Origin: Prince Hippolytos is the son of a remorseful King Theseus of Athens and the Amazon Queen Antiope, who, seeking peace between their warring nations, sealed an alliance in marriage. Charged by Theseus, with a crime he did not commit, he was driven from his kingdom and killed, when sea monsters, conjured by Theseus’s pact with Poseidon, attacked his chariot. [For a more detailed version of the myth, click here.]

In life, Prince Hippolytos had honored Antiope's Amazon ways and was devoted to Artemis, who resurrected him in an enchanted forest in Italy, far from Athens and Theseus. In this forest, Aricia, he is called 'Virbius' (a religious title, meaning 'twice a man') and rules as its immortal king. There, he erects a temple to Artemis and weds the wild, beautiful elemental, Egeria. In that sense, his story perfectly parallels the Amazons' rebirth on Themyscira. As the Amazons were the reincarnate souls of women, destroyed by man's violence, so is Antiope's son reborn, after being murdered by his own father.

Hippolytos was created an immortal by Artemis, and mythology offers no second death event for him, occurring after his resurrection by the goddess.

Powers and Abilities: As grandson of an Olympian god and son of an immortal Amazon, Hippolytos will possess superhuman strength nearly equal to Donna Troy's, and communion with Artemis gives him mental command of wild beasts. That, with his Amazon training, will make him a superior hand-to-hand combatant. His flying, fiery horses and chariot also make him a formidable opponent, as he proved in the Trojan War.

Jason is as straight, as an arrow...a ladies' man. He partied with some bi pals, but, there has been no hint about him being the least bit bi.
    I like this idea of Prince Hippolytos, but I never heard of him! Where did he appear? Do you have an image?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I like this idea of Prince Hippolytos, but I never heard of him! Where did he appear? Do you have an image?
    He is mentioned in the Wikipedia for DC Comics' Antiope. There's an image of him, as a red-haired baby, being held by his Amazon mama, Antiope, somewhere. I'll try to find it. The height and eye color in his profile are just wild guesses.

Where is he? Next to Hippolyta and Antiope, Prince Hippolytos (or King VIRBIUS) is actually Diana's CLOSEST BLOOD RELATIVE, as Donna is Diana's adoptive sister. He's got Amazon training...dedicated his life to Artemis and Athena! He should totally be in the comic! He should be Captain Wonder! I think the only reason he's been ignored, so long, is because he's a man.

Seriously...there really was no need to invent a twin brother for Wonder Woman. Her closest cousin is an immortal, superhuman KING of an enchanted forest. He's way too busy to hang out in her comic, but sure as Styx should have teamed up with his cousin, by now, and should probably have his own uniform. Where is he?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-20-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks, Mel Dyer! I really like learning of this "Wonder Man"!

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I did a fan-fic a while ago where I used Ras, WW, and Thanagarians.

The basic plot idea was that some archaeologists dug up a living mummy. The archaeologists didn't make it public because the JL encouraged them to keep it quiet. Also Nitiri just didn't want public attention. Thing is Nitiri actually did start making public appearances, just incognito. Most of these were as a member of the staff of a museum. The most high profile one was when she was invited to give a public lecture outside the museum about Egyptian history. As someone born in 1000(ish) BC she had an... interesting perspective.

Anyways, Ras became interested because he heard that one of the tombs excavated by the museum staff had the sarcophagus still sealed. So he decided to steal it and black mailed WW into doing the hard part. Thing is, in her previous life, Nitiri was considered one of the most powerful warriors who'd ever lived and revered as a demi-goddess. Yeah... Nitiri was unwilling to let WW take Atum-zat's sarcophagus and decided to fight for it... and loses. Anyways, Ras wanted to try using a Lazarus pit on a mummy that hadn't been touched.

The Thanagarian connection is in Nitiri's past. The idea I had was that a Thanagarian scientist was studying how N-th metal interacts with living things. One of the devices he made as part of experimenting ended up on Earth around 1000 BC, and Nitiri found it as a small child. It changed her body so that her body made N-th metal on it's own. Thus making Nitiri almost impossible to kill and also much stronger and tougher than a normal person. Which is the only reason she has the ability to fight WW at all.

Anyways, it's weird, but it felt like it made sense to me. These are not things tied together in comics, but they're all things that could work together if the editorial staff at DC didn't treat the books as if they're separate IPs. :P
    Wow! I'd love to read that! Sounds like it would make a great 3-issue arc in the HAWKMAN comics. I think Hawkman and Ras seem natural enemies.