Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Which Late Writers/Artists Should've Had a Crack at Batman?

Anthologies not counting.

Which dead writers and artists who have never written an issue worth of a Batman comic would you have liked to see their take on the character? I'll start

Will Eisner.
    Salvador Dali.
    Moebius

BANNED

Romita Jr should definitely have a chance to draw Batman.
    He is excellent with dark and edgy characters.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I can't recall if Steve Dillon ever drew Batman in his career prior to his untimely passing.

And ofc I wonder what Jack Kirby might've turned out with the Batman Universe if DC let him have full creative reign for a few books.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Romita Jr should definitely have a chance to draw Batman.
    He is excellent with dark and edgy characters.
    Uh, did John Romita Jr. pass away recently?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Romita Sr. obviously.

Both Romita are alive
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Excuse me?

Excuse me?
    The OP asked which late creators should have had a crack, late meaning having passed away.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 05-26-2019 at 03:06 AM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

A Steve Ditko Batman when Ditko was in his prime would have been interesting.

I think an Alex Toth Batman run would have been amazing. I remember a pin up in the Batman black and white minis, but Toth was such an incredible visual storyteller, an extended run by him would have been breathtaking.

Along the same lines, the few Joe Kubert Batman covers I have seen are cool , but his storytelling techniques unleashed on an extended Batman run would have been something to cherish.

Dave Stevens would have been an interesting choice as well. Especially if it was a period piece as he was phenomenal at capturing the feel of the 40s in his Rocketeer stuff.

Milton Caniff would be an interesting choice as well. He was the master of the syndicated adventure strip, and a huge influence on a lot of the other early comic artists, so it would be interesting to see what he could have done on Batman.

Along those lines, Chester Gould would have been fun to see as well, especially how he handled Batman's rogues and how close they would have resembled some of Dick Tracy's foes.

And I would pay money to see anything Frazetta did, and a Frazetta Batman would be something to behold. His one and only Superman piece, a watercolor he did as a commission, is fascinating, but I would love to have seen him unleashed on a Batman story.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 05-26-2019 at 03:06 AM.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    The OP asked which late creators should have had a crack, late meaning having passed away.

-M
    Oh, darn. I didn't notice the title very carefully.
    Consider my reply then as non existent.

Oh, darn. I didn't notice the title very carefully.
    Consider my reply then as non existent.
    It's fine with me, at least. But, your suggestion of JRJR certainly has me excited. Many won't agree, but I still love his 90's artwork for Marvel. Cable: Blood & Metal and Punisher: War Zone are among my favorites.

As for creators who are no longer with us, my choice would be Michael Turner. Can you imagine how his art would look like on a Batman series, not to mention all the glorious ladies of Gotham.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 05-26-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Made a correction.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    It's fine with me, at least. But, your suggestion of JRJR certainly has me excited. Many won't agree, but I still love his 90's artwork for Marvel. Cable: Blood & Metal and Punisher: War Zone are among my favorites.

As for creators who are no longer with us, my choice would be Michael Turner. Can you imagine how his art would look like on a Batman series, not to mention all the glorious ladies of Gotham.
    Didn't Turner do the art on the arc in Batman/Superman that introduced the new Supergirl in the early 2000s? Or was it just covers?

-M

Looked it up and it was Turner on interiors and covers...

he did issues #8-13 it looks like.

-M

Didn't Turner do the art on the arc in Batman/Superman that introduced the new Supergirl in the early 2000s? Or was it just covers?

-M
    Looked it up and it was Turner on interiors and covers...

he did issues #8-13 it looks like.

-M
    I remember now, thanks.

I also remember he did covers for Meltzer's Identity Crisis.

Great catch, MRP.

Aside from inking an annual in the late 80s, I don't believe Gray Morrow ever got a chance to illustrate a Batman story, and that's another late creator I would have liked ot have seen unleashed on Gotham story.

As for writers, Mickey Spillane did some comic work as well as the Mike Hammer novels, and he would have written an interesting Batman I think. Dashiel Hammett would be another interesting crime writer that could have done something interesting with the Batman milieu as well.

-M