Default C. Priest to write new Vampirella ongoing

https://www.superherohype.com/comics...aunch#/slide/1

hopefully this new take on Vampirella (and I'm sure there will be more after this) will be accepted and successful enough for him to continue as the writer for at least a couple of years, and spin off into some more projects for some of the "top tier" comics characters.

https://www.newsarama.com/45281-chri...ampirella.html

**from the article**

Illustrated by Ergun Gunduz, Dynamite's new Vampirella relaunch begins with the alien vampire as the last survivor of a plane crash which took away any friend or acquaintance she had. Now she's here on Earth and all alone. And this isn't a fictional world known to have vampires, witches, warlocks, or werewolves - this is the real world, and you know how real people would take to someone like Vampirella?

... but do you, really?

As Priest tells Newsarama in an email interview, Vampirella's supernatural abilities are "a metaphor for a univeral human condition, for being either rejected or idealized (or, in the case of our series, both) because you are different. Anyone who’s ever moved to a new town or a new school or taken a new job should be able to identify with Vampi’s challenges."

Priest, an ordained Baptist minister (as a reminder to readers, prefers to be addressed as 'Priest'), shared his thoughts with Newsarama on how the prospect of writing Vampirella was first received by him, how it fits within his religious life, and how he's using it to examine humanity.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 05-25-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I saw this in a newsletter at the LCS I frequent. Where I was buying the fourth trade of Deathstroke, funnily enough. It was completely unexpected, but I totally need this in my life. I have a great liking for Vampirella, I have a few of the big hardcover archives of the old Warren comics and I liked the Nancy A. Collins run. She's a fun, campy character and I love her costume. I wouldn't want to see female characters wearing stuff like that across the board by any means, but she's just not Vampirella without it.

I'm glad that he wants to go old-school and re-establish the Drakulon origin. All of her other origins, from what I know of them, are bad, convoluted and unnecessary. As is seemingly the norm, the old origins and takes are often the best. It is a bit odd that Lilith still seems to be her mother though, as mentioned in the solicit for #2. Is that going to be revealed to be a lie, or did Lilith travel to Drakulon or something? It also mentions her adversaries, and Priest said "they're all there." I wonder which face we will see, and when. I'm hoping/expecting to see Chaos, Dracula, the Queen of Hearts, Von Kriest, Cobra Queen, and any other obscure choices Priest comes up with.

I am on board for sure.

Only reason i have an ounce of interest in this book is because of that interview lol, gonna add it to my pull list. Plus on the other note i'm really enjoying Deathstroke

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

What a weird fit. Priest rocks though, so I'll read it.

I've read Vampirella sporadically over the years, but am interested to see Priest take.

Anybody read the FCBD issue?

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I've read Vampirella sporadically over the years, but am interested to see Priest take.

Anybody read the FCBD issue?
    I did, it was interesting. Since it was just sample I really can't get a good feel for how he will write it. But I am looking forward to giving it a shot.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I wonder if he's allowed to cross over with other Dynamite characters. We'll see. Though I suspect he wants to fully explore more of Vampirella's immediate world mostly.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'm probably one of the VERY few comic book fans on the planet who's shown precious little interest in Vampirella as she's never really interested me. Still, I've enjoyed Priest's work over the years, so maybe I'll give this book a looksee.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!