Spectacular Member

Default Serious plothole question: How can Talia Al Ghul not know who Clark Kent is?!?

Seriously, number 1, she's an Al Ghul. 2. She knows through and through who Batman is. 3. She's mother of Damian Wayne best friend of Jon Kent. 4. She's not an idiot.

I'm sorry, I need somebody to explain to me how this meshes.

She didn’t know in Superman Rebirth so maybe she just doesn’t care enough to find out. She’s obsessed with Bruce, Ra’s and her don’t really care about Bruce’s playmates.

Astonishing Member

Maybe she used to know, but she forgot (as did the whole world, post-Truth) when the whole Lois & Clark & Supes backstory was re-written by Rebirth. Since then, she's been too preoccupied to care about whether Superman might have another identity.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

In previous encounters we've seen that knowing his identity, or rather playing her hand with the secret, hadn't held worth for her. Her ilk can virtually operate in a world without him.

But the easiest thing is just to say it's a new continuity regardless.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I see her falling into the same trap as Lex- she probably doesn't believe Superman has a secret identity.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I see her falling into the same trap as Lex- she probably doesn't believe Superman has a secret identity.
    I can see her not connecting the dots, except I thought her knowledge (or at least Ra's) had been confirmed previously.

I'll buy that Damian never outright stated it to her and that despite obvious clues she never cared enough to piece it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    In previous encounters we've seen that knowing his identity, or rather playing her hand with the secret, hadn't held worth for her. Her ilk can virtually operate in a world without him.
    Unless it is that Talia deliberately used Clark's kidnapping to undermine Leviathan, I don't buy her knowing it and the story still playing out this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    But the easiest thing is just to say it's a new continuity regardless.
    And this is why I hate soft reboots like Rebirth.

Extraordinary Member

It really doesn't matter whether or not she knows. She has Superman trapped with kryptonite attached to him.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah. I mean the way I read it, Talia knows and played Clark as he wasn't expecting it. But I will read it again once in a while as this story plays out.

I don't really like soft reboots when characterization takes an about face, like Guardian being written as Bibbo, but Talia vs Clark is obscure enough of a plot to manipulate into a good story.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES