Hey all. Just wanted to ask your opinion on how much of an outsider do you consider Superman? Indeed, this idea of being the outsider, the alien is prevalent in Geoff Johns' "Superman and the Legion of Superheroes" storyline:

A prevalent theme throughout the story is that Superman considers himself to be an outsider. The notion intrigued and slightly shocked me. A lot of people still have the notion that Superman embodies the establishment and the status quo. They label him as the truth, justice, and American way boy scout who looks too perfect. "Outsider" or "different" aren't associated with Superman in the way that they are with the X-Men.

After hard consideration, I think Superman is an outsider, but he can blend easier into mainstream society than others. Indeed, I'm reminded of the (in)famous story where Lois Lane became African-American and countered Superman's argument that he was an alien with him being the right color. In a way, yeah, he is (and I really don't like using this term because it's so loaded) privileged. However, I disagree with the notion that this somehow disqualifies him understanding other people's pain, being compassionate towards others, or helping others. We all know that Superman fights for and cares for everyone. That's good enough for me. Additionally, it doesn't disqualify that he's felt a sense of not belonging. Or how he's used that to make sure everyone feels like they belong.

So, how much of an outsider is Superman? A lot? A little? Completely? Not at all?
Does him being an outsider (or not) disqualifies him from understanding other people or championing their cause?

Any input would be great.