Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: WATCHMEN on HBO

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Yeah, the black humour is really this show's unexpected secret weapon. And this episode was genuinely hilarious at times.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yes, the sarcastic faint sigh was brilliant.
    Yeah pretty good I wasn't expecting that.

Also "Laurie BLAKE"!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Only one issue with that a gay man would be just as much a PR disaster in 1930's/40's America.
    Let alone a gay BLACK man. Knowing what he went through as a kid, I doubt Will would endanger himself.

Extraordinary Member

I wonder how Moore would react to it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I wonder how Moore would react to it
    Did anyone ever ask Steve Ditko how he felt about Watchmen when it was being published?

I do believe it is heavily hinted that Veidt is at least not on Earth or indeed on Mars. It also feels hinted that Topher is the adopted grandchild of Laurie and has levitation abilities. The floating castle is branded as a Dr Manhattan toy but the prevailing technology is not advanced enough to have casually floating metal.

Also Topher and indeed Christopher is a name with messianic connotations. Christ Bearer. His position in the wider narrative as a child born of a woman (removed by a generation) at least touched by the game changing superhero, could be pivotal.

There is even a hint in the other ‘Dr Manhattan Toy’ that any child of Laurie would kind of have an extra parent. Which brings to mind Slaughterhouse Five and that book’s multiple sexes and by extension The Sirens of Titan and its fake alien invasion and its status as a forerunner of Watchmen.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-09-2019 at 07:16 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Did anyone ever ask Steve Ditko how he felt about Watchmen when it was being published?
    Probably. He wouldn’t have answered such a question but many people asked him lots of questions via letters.

Something that is little known is that Moore actually did have input for the Snyder movie. Unfortunately the always inspiring ‘Creative Screenwriting Podcast’ is now unavailable but the ‘Watchmen Q&A’ episode included one of the screenwriters (I wish I could remember which one) revealing that he phoned Moore up and developed an ongoing working relationship with him to discuss themes and how the adaptation might work.

We should perhaps set aside the idea that Moore hates the adaptations (or at least the whole concept of them and anyone related to them) and instead consider that he actually hates the fact that they are entirely outside of his control and that he feels cheated of ownership.

P.S. If anyone still has a copy of this podcast PM me. I would love to listen to it again.

P.P.S. Strike that I have finally found a way to retrieve it after years of searching intermittently. So PM me if you want to listen to this, and I am now going to re-listen and see if I can find and quote the relevant part.

P.P.P.S

David Hayter:
    I got Alan’s phone number… said… ‘I know you have a certain antipathy towards Hollywood, which I sympathise with but to any extent you want to be involved, to whatever extent you want to dictate what is or is not in the film I want to give you that opportunity. And, he said “Oh no David, the book was my Watchmen and the movie is your Watchmen and if there is anything I can do to help you call me anytime”. I called him a few times…

The punchline to this anecdote, which is relevant to this TV sequel is that when Hayter phoned him to discuss his idea for a sequel he hung up and ‘he has not spoken to me since’.

Who knows if that is still true.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-09-2019 at 08:35 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Incredible Member

Reminds me of this book also

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_(novel)

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I do believe it is heavily hinted that Veidt is at least not on Earth or indeed on Mars. It also feels hinted that Topher is the adopted grandchild of Laurie and has levitation abilities. The floating castle is branded as a Dr Manhattan toy but the prevailing technology is not advanced enough to have casually floating metal.

Also Topher and indeed Christopher is a name with messianic connotations. Christ Bearer. His position in the wider narrative as a child born of a woman (removed by a generation) at least touched by the game changing superhero, could be pivotal.

There is even a hint in the other ‘Dr Manhattan Toy’ that any child of Laurie would kind of have an extra parent. Which brings to mind Slaughterhouse Five and that book’s multiple sexes and by extension The Sirens of Titan and its fake alien invasion and its status as a forerunner of Watchmen.

I enjoyed last night's episode and excited for next week. I'm fond of Looking Glass and glad he's getting a spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I enjoyed last night's episode and excited for next week. I'm fond of Looking Glass and glad he's getting a spotlight.
    I agree looking glass is my fav so far...

However my first thought last nighy was "are you two that sure Laurie doesn't speak vietnamese?"
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Mighty Member

The cloning scene. Awesome!

Four episodes into watching and reviewing #WatchmenHBO, and it's clear this sequel series has gotten way more bizarre than the graphic novel. And when David Lindelof surpasses Alan Moore in being bizarre, that's saying something.

Watchmen season 1, episode 4 review: If You Don’t Like My Story, Write Your Own
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Yeah this show is solid. I wasn’t sure what to expect of it given that it wasn’t going to be an adaptation. Each episode is intriguing and adds more to the tale. Episode 3 seemed like the “okay, I’m in” episode for many. This week’s did not disappoint. Trieu seems like a compelling character. That opening scene was excellent.

I agree that I’m looking forward to next week and the focus on Looking Glass.

Did the opening with Lady Trieu and the Clarks happen years before the show or at the same time as the shootout in the first episode?