Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: WATCHMEN on HBO

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO THINK THIS SHOW IS JUST AN SJW POLEMIC - IT IS NOT.

It's friggin bonkers! I am really into this show so far because:
    -- It really has fun with all the Watchmen references:
    -- paparazzi using mothman wings to get good pics (reminded me of Bojack Horseman as well) I literally LOL at that scene.
    -- the kid knocking down his magnetic playset a la Manhattan's palace on the moon collapsing
    -- the newstand guy and New Pioneer
    -- cops using all that Nite-Owl tech, from the ships to the goggles
    -- that insane play Veidt wrote (which reminds me of the marionette play from "Doom Patrol" of Mr Nobody's origin, esp with the chamber)
    -- Night's car disappearing into the sky only to drop from the sky at Silk Spectre's feet
    -- etc.. there are a lot of references to the graphic novel.

-- This has set up a great mystery so far. Who knows if they can pay it off, but so far it's really intriguing to me.
    -- I love Looking Glass - he's obviously a new Rorschach, from his unique mask, to his understated demeanor, his skill at interrogation in the pod, to how they show him eating with his mask half-lifted.
    -- Hooded Justice!
    -- Veidt's insane existence ... it reminds me of "Legion" with how seemingly odd and insane some of this **** is and how characters react to the weirdness.
    -- Speaking of "Legion", Jean Smart has dialed in another awesome performance in geek genre here as "Agent Blake."

Rather than a retread of the graphic novel, this seems to me as a real story on its own that has a lot of fun with everything we know of Watchmen yet tells its own unique story while following up on what the graphic novel set up. (but not the movie, which the squids seem to imply)

I don't even know how many episodes I'm getting in this. Anybody know if this Is it a limited or will this be another familiar, several season HBO series?
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Oh, also - since I only just caught up on the show, did anyone else get a "Kal-El escaping exploding Krypton" vibe at the very beginning with the kid escaping the Tulsa massacre?

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I don't even know how many episodes I'm getting in this. Anybody know if this Is it a limited or will this be another familiar, several season HBO series?
    It's 9 episodes long. As for more seasons, I saw a Lindelöf interview in which he said he was only concentrating on making this one complete story, and after that who knows. He even suggested someone else could take over for future seasons.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Extraordinary Member

I'm starting to find Cal annoying and really starting to dislike this Ozy dude.

Last night's episode was awesome.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The ending of the last episode. I'm hoping the worst didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The ending of the last episode. I'm hoping the worst didn't happen.
    Im 50/50 on it myself.

I just hope we don't wait to long for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    It's 9 episodes long. As for more seasons, I saw a Lindelöf interview in which he said he was only concentrating on making this one complete story, and after that who knows. He even suggested someone else could take over for future seasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntnon View Post
    Reading through the 'Peteypedia' resources, and they are a great addition to the world. For anyone decrying them as being an annoying additional necessity - they aren't. They are 1:1 the materials in the comics.
    Right on.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Looking Glass may be a ersatz Rorschach, but he definitely seemed like the most interesting character in the series. After watching and reviewing this episode, however, he's definitely become my favorite, thanks in large part to the stellar acting performance by Tim Blake Nelson.
    Watchmen season 1, episode 5 review: Little Fear of Lightning
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

So if Looking Glass is Rorschach does that make Angela Nite Owl?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Another fantastic episode. And to think, I had my doubts about it after episode 1...

Only 9 episodes, though? That's quite a bit to get done in the next four episodes.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Mighty Member

Loved that shot of the giant squid.

I feel like for a second season they could adapt the original comic but that would feel like a weak choice.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    On a personal level, however much I agree with these sentiments, I am pretty bored of hearing about them unless they're presented in more interesting and innovative ways. The larger issue, though, is that a straightforward message of "racism is bad and there's still lots of it about" is basically either preaching to the choir or falling on deaf ears. Even those who roundly agree with the basic idea might write it off as more "SJW browbeating" or get increasingly fed up with the same old narrative of whites being the eternal oppressor and blacks as eternal victims.
    It's a thorny nuanced issue, but however much I empathise and broaly agree, my conclusion may differ: just because people dismiss things or don't listen should never deter folk from TRYING. Now, the message and facets should hopefully be complex and not just "good/bad," because nuance is a sign of good storytelling.

But.

It must also be acknowledged that sometimes certain stories or events are NOT complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    ... I do think we've reached a point where it's now no longer good enough just to make the same old statements without bringing anything fresh or original to the table. At best, it becomes tiresome and numbing; at worst, it does exactly the opposite of what it intends.
    Telling the same old stories is always bad. And can be problematic or counter-productive. But, again, some things are important enough to keep at until opinions change.

And none of this is about the complex, nuanced and surprisingly-great HBO show.