Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: WATCHMEN on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    They seem to be pointing to it being Will.
    https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...ory-explained/
    Not a bad idea Rolf was only rumored as Hooded Justice and it worked well IMO for Spider-Man TAS revealing Black Marvel wasn't Dan Lyons but a character Omar Mosley.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Nah not Topher the boy who escaped Black Wall Street. I know now he turned out to be Knight's grandfather But I was thinking he turned out to be a superhero. Maybe we'll find out which one exactly next episode.
    Hooded Justice seems likely.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    So who took Will?
    Honestly i thought it could be Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    That opening in the past is super-hard to watch, mainly because it depicts horrifically accurate real-life events (the 1921 Tulsa Massacre). That was less than 100 years ago, will into the 20th century.
    That was a real historical incident? Holy **** I thought that was something gritty the show made up! Really?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That was a real historical incident? Holy **** I thought that was something gritty the show made up! Really?
    Yes. It's an honest to god real life event. The state of Oklahoma has done a good job keeping the incident buried.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I'm genuinely curious to hear what people who haven't read Watchmen or watched the film make of all this. Especially after episode 2.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

The problem with the Will as Hooded Justice thing is that there are massive contradictions if the comic is canon. There's no way he was passing as a White guy in a shoddy costume while pretending to be in a relationship with Sally Jupiter and secretly dating Captain Metropolis. None of that adds up. But it's possible the HJ we saw in the Minutemen simply wasn't the original (Will) but an imitator or stand in. Like maybe they realized HJ was Black so they gave a White guy into bdsm his identity for PR reasons.

The problem with the Will as Hooded Justice thing is that there are massive contradictions if the comic is canon. There's no way he was passing as a White guy in a shoddy costume while pretending to be in a relationship with Sally Jupiter and secretly dating Captain Metropolis. None of that adds up. But it's possible the HJ we saw in the Minutemen simply wasn't the original (Will) but an imitator or stand in. Like maybe they realized HJ was Black so they gave a White guy into bdsm his identity for PR reasons.
    The show is a direct sequel to the comic. Some things in this show just won't work if it wasn't like squid rain, ozymandias in general and why the white supremacist were trying to make a dirty bomb with watch batteries. It's what I don't subscribe to the idea of Will being Hooded Justice. It doesn't line up with what we know about in in the comic.

HBO provided some supplementary material about what went down in the time gap between the comic and show.

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

I’m curious to see if they attempt to explain how what we know about Hooded Justice from the comic can work with Will Reeves. It’s possible that Will was the original Hooded Justice but was replaced when the Minutemen formed and the other heroes and PR people found out that he was black. In episode 2 we’re shown a scene of Hooded Justice stopping a robbery. In that scene he appears to be a white guy. But again that’s how society remembers him. Historical events can be covered up. As we’ve witnessed in real life with so many people having never heard of the Tulsa Riots. I had heard of it but I admit that I had no idea of the extent of the horrible incident until I did some research after watching the first episode.
    Last edited by Robotman; 10-30-2019 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m curious to see if they attempt to explain how what we know about Hooded Justice from the comic can work with Will Reeves. It’s possible that Will was the original Hooded Justice but was replaced when the Minutemen formed and the other heroes and PR people found out that he was black. In episode 2 we’re shown the old black and white scene of Hooded Justice stopping a robbery. In that scene he appears to be a white guy. But again that’s how society remembers him. Historical events can be covered up. As we’ve witnessed in real life with so many people having never heard of the Tulsa Riots. I had heard of it but I admit that I had no idea of the extent of the horrible incident until I did some research after watching the first episode.
    Only one issue with that a gay man would be just as much a PR disaster in 1930's/40's America.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Only one issue with that a gay man would be just as much a PR disaster in 1930's/40's America.
    In the book Silhouette got kicked out from the Minutemen when it was discovered she was a lesbian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    They didn’t know that at the time. All they saw was a strong white guy. Having Hooded Justice be multiple guys who were both shunned by a closed minded society makes it even more interesting.

Regina King knocks this ish out the park man. This show has the potential to be something electric man, and i'll be honest I was skeptical. Just wow. It's crazy seeing how alot of internet commentators reacted to the first episode. Black Wall street's destruction really is something that should be explained in depth to all americans. I'm all in hopefully HBO doesnt waste my time like the did with GoT though goodness gracious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I'm genuinely curious to hear what people who haven't read Watchmen or watched the film make of all this. Especially after episode 2.
    My wife doesn't know anything about Watchmen. She's quite enjoying the show.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    There is so much history that is ignored or buried that it would make you head spin.

Yes. It's an honest to god real life event. The state of Oklahoma has done a good job keeping the incident buried.
    Along with others.

Folks have to remember everything in your text books has to be voted on and APPROVED at the state and local level (at least in Texas).

In Texas we have had folks trying to get history books that do NOT mention claimed from 2008-2016-there was no President of the United States, Bill Clinton was NEVER married and Helen Keller never existed.

Lets just say those books never made it to a vote at the state level.