Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: WATCHMEN on HBO

Jean Smart is sooo good.

It was a good episode but it felt more of a stopgap. A way to not have to deal with the fallout of episode 2.

It did make me curious about Nite Owl.

It was dope to see the squid, or at least whatever image of it Looking Glass uses in that trailer. I'm liking the show, I don't yet love it, I feel they are being a bit too obtuse in where we are in this specific structure outside of the Calvary. Especially since the groundwork of the comic is the foundation...

We're a little low on powersets so far amiright? I feel Angela is pretty damn strong though.

We've seen some machinery on some broadly accepted level, advanced communication.

Ozmandius is way ahead of the technological curve, so much that's he's using a mix of analog machinery to continue to work but that is the angle I'm not wanting as much fleshed out. It was cool as hell to see him in the costume though.

I'm no Snyder fan but what he did with the open of his WATCHMEN right through the death of Comedian was very cool. This show needs a little of that.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It was a good episode but it felt more of a stopgap. A way to not have to deal with the fallout of episode 2.

It did make me curious about Nite Owl.
    According to supplementary materials Nite Owl and Silk Spectre were arrested for their vigilantism in 95. The feds offered them to let them go if they joined an anti-vigilante task force. Lauire took the deal and Dan didn't. He's been locked up in Federal prison since.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    In episode 2 we’re shown a scene of Hooded Justice stopping a robbery. In that scene he appears to be a white guy. But again that’s how society remembers him.
    Also, that was a scene from a tv show, not the actual Hooded Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    We're a little low on powersets so far amiright? I feel Angela is pretty damn strong though.
    Been a long time since I read Watchmen, so I don't quite remember: did anyone besides Manhattan have powers? I can't think of anyone.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Also, that was a scene from a tv show, not the actual Hooded Justice.
    Was it? I thought it was a flashback.

Been a long time since I read Watchmen, so I don't quite remember: did anyone besides Manhattan have powers? I can't think of anyone.
    No, that was the thing, they were all normal people who fought crime in masks. Dr. Manhattan was the game changer.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post

No, that was the thing, they were all normal people who fought crime in masks. Dr. Manhattan was the game changer.
    Yea it's been a while for me too, I've been wanting to re-read it and oddly enough I didn't have the inclination after SNYDERMEN.

Right on, I knew Nightowl, Comedian and Rorschach didn't but I wasn't sure about Silk.
    You bet yer ass.

Fantastic Member

Yea it's been a while for me too, I've been wanting to re-read it and oddly enough I didn't have the inclination after SNYDERMEN.

Right on, I knew Nightowl, Comedian and Rorschach didn't but I wasn't sure about Silk.
    It seems that something superhuman is going on with angela's grandfather...he can put his hand in scolding water and drink down scolding water. Perhaps he is special?

Mighty Member

That bank robbery ambush scene was awesome.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

That was a really brilliant episode. I wasn't sold on the first episode but the second hooked me and this third installment really cemented this show as the real deal. Jean Smart alone takes the series to a whole higher level - and ups the already pretty high black-comedy quotient - but I'm also super glad to see the show really start to establish itself as a sequel to Watchmen that tells its own story but also builds on what Gibbons and that other guy created over thirty years ago. And the Ozymandius stuff continues to be a totally demented delight.

Never mind my initial misgivings, I am completely sold.

Though, really, with each episode, I become more and more sure that people who have never read Watchmen are only getting like 10% of what the rest of us are getting from it. Making a TV show a full-blown sequel to a comic book that no doubt a sizeable portion of your audience hasn't read takes a particular kind of chutzpah. I mean, it's Watchmen but still...
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Article in CBR News about whether the car was from Dr. Manhattan. or is the government faking his presence. But what caught my eye was this screen grab I did not catch on the show.

If that manor house is what I think it is, then Veidt is on Mars and the Game Warden is Manhattan. And Ozzy is trying to find a way to travel back to Earth.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    According to supplementary materials Nite Owl and Silk Spectre were arrested for their vigilantism in 95. The feds offered them to let them go if they joined an anti-vigilante task force. Lauire took the deal and Dan didn't. He's been locked up in Federal prison since.
    Supplementary materials...BEH!

They're even hawking the podcast at the end of the episode. You wanna explain the technical making of or stories from the set, rock on but if I've got to go to another outlet to flesh out what I'm already paying for, BEH, I don't like it. Good info though.

Also I was on the verge of stopping watching this until I get a copy of the GN in my hand, found one on the cheap. As an aside, The Comedian also was 'extra-normal' or whatever term Dr. M used for enhancement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    then Veidt is on Mars
    Huh, insert Wow gif, right on. I remember that shot, I think it was Ep. 1. I'm still looking for what HBO spent the money on, I'm not a GOT fan but I'm aware they spend on these spectacle shows when they do have them and Dr. Manhattan just being on the screen I feel would be a major budgetary allotment.

Veidt is still human though, Dr. M is sustaining him on Mars?
    You bet yer ass.

Veidt is still human though, Dr. M is sustaining him on Mars?
    Dr. Manhattan is a god. He could easily keep Veidt on a small area on Mars. Remember what he built there in Watchmen.

Extraordinary Member

Loved Knight's response to Spectre's "I eat good guys for breakfast speech".

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Loved Knight's response to Spectre's "I eat good guys for breakfast speech".
    Yes, the sarcastic faint sigh was brilliant.