Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: WATCHMEN on HBO

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Only 3 left this thing is really gonna move. Gives me time to start it over from the jump one good time. Excellent episode.
    Watching via Amazon's HBO add-on, and... Episode 4 is "unavailable". Is it there for anyone else?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Veidt and this 'trial' by the Game Warden looks nuts.
    Looks like it may be taking some cues from Patrick McGoohan's PRISONER. In great company..!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    Remember she didn't want him to join the minute men and also remember when she was in bed with him and was asking him what was wrong and asked him to remember the first time he saw her. He was drifting father and farther away from her...
    ..and having sex with Nelson Gardner.. that may not have helped.

Watchmen waded knee-deep into the problematic relationship superheroics have with violence, sex and actually-having-a-life-outside-of-it. No surprise HBO's iteration is making similar points.

So I'm sure nobody saw that coming lol

So what exactly can a bunch of mask-wearing racists do to what is essentially a god?

Astonishing Member

Damn. What a twist.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

This show! Just...wow.

My only issue is that they gave us hints of the twist and the actual twist in the same episode. Up until now, there was nothing to indicate Manhattan was walking the earth as a human. If they would have dropped clues throughout the season as a build up it would have been better.

Playing an instrumental version of Bowie’s Life on Mars was too perfect. Gave me goosebumps.

Trying to capture a god the way the Seventh Calvary is reminded me of The Sandman.
    Last edited by Robotman; 12-01-2019 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    My only issue is that they gave us hints of the twist and the actual twist in the same episode. Up until now, there was nothing to indicate Manhattan was walking the earth as a human. If they would have dropped clues throughout the season as a build up it would have been better.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

There were several hints that Dr Manhattan was on Earth and even more that he was Cal.

Laurie thought Cal was hot and Angela didn't like working with her, or that Laurie visited Cal on her own.

Then you have the way Cal describing to his kids what happens when someone dies in a very philosophical and almost nihilistic manner.

There's even Laurie's Manhattan dildo, which is big for reasons I don't need to elaborate on, but also it's from a company called Excalibur (or the dildo is called that--can't remember), which breaks down to Ex Cal Abar.

There's the name Cal Abar itself. Cal is like Kal as in Kal El, which adds to the "Superman is real and he's American" thing. Abar comes from Abar: The First Black Superman, a blaxploitation film from the 1970s.

This next episode is called "A God Walks into a Bar" as in "A God Walks into Abar".

There were people who theorised it on Reddit. It didn't cross my mind at all, but all the clues were there.

I thought the twist was stupid my 1st issue with the show. I just can't see Dr. Manhattan from where were left him in Watchmen wanting to play house.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    There were several hints that Dr Manhattan was on Earth and even more that he was Cal.

Laurie thought Cal was hot and Angela didn't like working with her, or that Laurie visited Cal on her own.

Then you have the way Cal describing to his kids what happens when someone dies in a very philosophical and almost nihilistic manner.

There's even Laurie's Manhattan dildo, which is big for reasons I don't need to elaborate on, but also it's from a company called Excalibur (or the dildo is called that--can't remember), which breaks down to Ex Cal Abar.

There's the name Cal Abar itself. Cal is like Kal as in Kal El, which adds to the "Superman is real and he's American" thing. Abar comes from Abar: The First Black Superman, a blaxploitation film from the 1970s.

This next episode is called "A God Walks into a Bar" as in "A God Walks into Abar".

There were people who theorised it on Reddit. It didn't cross my mind at all, but all the clues were there.
    Damn, I guess I missed every clue. There’s been so many other crazy things going on that I wasn’t even focused on Dr. Manhattan’s role in all of this.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post

Never before in the history of the internet, has so much attention and care been focused onto cues related to a dildo.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I thought the twist was stupid my 1st issue with the show. I just can't see Dr. Manhattan from where were left him in Watchmen wanting to play house.
    I don’t think the twist is stupid but I do think it raises issues with how Dr. Manhattan’s arc ended in Watchmen. Last time we saw him he left Earth so he could “create some life.” What’s he doing back here again living amongst us as a human being? This is a question that the next episode has to explain, and explain well.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Had they talked about Cal’s amnesia much in previous episodes? I don’t remember hearing about it.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Had they talked about Cal’s amnesia much in previous episodes? I don’t remember hearing about it.
    It would be glossed over when going over Angela's background.

I know very little about the Vietnam war but natives celebrating Manhattan, is that a good thing?