Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: WATCHMEN on HBO

Astonishing Member

Tonight’s the finale and as much I want to see this show go longer I like the fact that we will get a conclusive ending, and even if the ending doesn’t work me that will do nothing to taint how marvelous this show has been up until now.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Got behind.one but I wanted to catch up before the finale. Yeeaa, not quite rockin with Cal-Manhattan but the plot to capture, disseminate or copy Dr. Manhattan, even though it was largely unbenounced up until episode 7, seemed cool. Veidt did manage to disrupt him during his breach.

Did they ever mention again that... dude that slipped down the sewer grate?
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

How do I do spoiler tags?

I just finished watching it and I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    How do I do spoiler tags?

I just finished watching it and I enjoyed it.
    You know how quote looks? put spoil and /spoil in the [ ]s instead.

spoilers:
    the finale was pretty damn awesome.
    end of spoilers
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

spoilers:
    Minor pet peeve of mine: Lady True doesn't look at all mixed. Reminds me of a long standing pet peeve I've had with comics: the way villains who are canonically half-Asian are usually drawn as pure asian, whereas heroes who are canonically pure asian are often drawn as mixed. The Mandarin and Jubilee, for example.
    end of spoilers

Amazing. Standing ovation.

Astonishing Member

Great finale to a great series but I’m so bummed about the fate of one of my favorite characters but I understand the decision was made in service of the story, and was ultimately very effective.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

I felt for the creative choices made, the good ones, the odd ones, the confoundingly vague ones it actually concluded pretty damn successfully. ALL the music cues were amazing. No idea how one would follow this.

I tried to hold the graphic novel up to this iteration as a reflection and not comparatively but I thought when it strayed, due to the performances it didn't take me out of it. My biggest thing was the spread out narrative over several characters vs. the top heavy structure of this one. I love King and Sister Night was excellent even though it was too much having her prop up the entire series.

Silk Spectre is 0-2 for me post the GN, for all the rhythm folks gave Jean Smart all she really did was talk a bunch of ****. To me Irons Ozzymandius was right up there with Jackie Earl Haley's performance from the movie. He was great, and he kept the ship.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Incredible Member

So the entire plot basically depends on Ozymandias sending that tape to Robert Redford. *Why* would Ozy do that in the first place when in the comic he went through such trouble to tie up all loose ends?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    So the entire plot basically depends on Ozymandias sending that tape to Robert Redford. *Why* would Ozy do that in the first place when in the comic he went through such trouble to tie up all loose ends?
    I imagine it's because of his ego.

One thing we do know for sure about Veidt is that even though he can still catch a bullet, he would suck at dodgeball.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-16-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Incredible Member

Great end to a great series. I can wait to troll the anti sjw youtubers who HATE this series for obvious reasons.

Jeremy Irons is the definitive Adrian Veidt, absolutely wonderful portrayal. His little dialog during the last episode about why his worthy opponent cannot be allowed to attain that which shall not be named was a treat coming from him.

I also loved that throughout the series, scenes with Veidt and Lady Tru had their own leitmotif of lacrimosa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyku1ENBhXw

It's a theme that always generates a sense of grandeur and playing on impossible scales of planning and cunning far beyond the scope of mortal men. Which is basically the arc/plans of those kinds of characters.

I wish more shows used that musical technique. Final Fantasy 6 did it a lot with characters.

Outstanding finale.

I only want a season 2 if the same showrunner comes back, with as much forethought and effort as he poured into this season.

If he won't or can't, then I'm totally good with this season being the entire series. Quit while you're ahead.

At best you could do a season that half way through you find out what happens in the seconds following this end...but after that she would be too powerful.
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    At best you could do a season that half way through you find out what happens in the seconds following this end...but after that she would be too powerful.
    Unless spoilers:
    an egg is just an egg
    end of spoilers
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I imagine it's because of his ego.

One thing we do know for sure about Veidt is that even though he can still catch a bullet, he would suck at dodgeball.
    Yeah this version of Veidt was a lot more bombastic and showy so it made sense he’d want to tip the scales