Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: WATCHMEN on HBO

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I'm well the **** over Watchmen adaptations, sequels, prequels, and Doomsday Clocks. Hard pass.

Besides, Lindelof's track record is garbage and all his press for this has been wretched.
    Leftovers was amazing....All these "hard pass folks" are still going to watch..even if its just one episode. Its freaking watchmen..and HBO really doesn't make a bad product(GOT season 7 and 8 notwithstanding).

Just saw Watchmen episode 1. It's definitely a straight-up sequel to the graphic novel, set about 34 years ahead from 1985 to 2019.

That opening in the past is super-hard to watch, mainly because it depicts horrifically accurate real-life events (the 1921 Tulsa Massacre). That was less than 100 years ago, will into the 20th century.

I found the present-day stuff far easier to watch and in fact, riveting.

I'm hooked.

The Seventh Kavalry repurposing Rorschach's visage as a symbol of hate is controversial, but makes sense. Rorschach never was an actual hero, it was just that the people he killed were undeniably worse than he himself was.

I'm surprised that spoilers:
    they basically "Ned-Starked" Don Johnson in the very first episode, as he probably is the most famous actor of the bunch, and I thought he'd be the Male lead for the series, but it clearly looks like I'm seeing now ... any idea why Louis Gossett Jr killed him?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 10-21-2019 at 08:38 AM.

spoilers:
    I don't think Gosset (Hooded Justice) killed him. I think he just srtung his body up for some reason.
    end of spoilers
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    Well it's clearly not rehashing the comic.

It looks like a really terrible heavy-handed social commentary piece that simply uses Watchmen imagery, ideas, memes, etc. Of course, purely speculating. But that's the impression that I got.
    Ah, but Gorthon, all comics have politics and social elements. Don't ya dare deny the history of comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I'm well the **** over Watchmen adaptations, sequels, prequels, and Doomsday Clocks. Hard pass.

Besides, Lindelof's track record is garbage and all his press for this has been wretched.
    You seem angrier than Alan Moore about this. Just because others might not have met your approval doesn't mean the material can't work in places, as it does here. It's like saying because there are some bad Spider-Man books and movies we shouldn't look at any more.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Considering Damon Lindelof is the same guy who co-created Lost and The Leftovers, I figured his take/sequel to Watchmen would be weird. But as I write in this review of the first episode, I didn't count on it being this weird.

Watchmen season 1, episode 1 review: It’s Summer and We’re Running Out of Ice
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

It looks like a really terrible heavy-handed social commentary piece that simply uses Watchmen imagery, ideas, memes, etc. Of course, purely speculating. But that's the impression that I got.
    Um. The original comic was full of social commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Um. The original comic was full of social commentary.
    Wanted to mention that there's a difference between inserting social/political commentary where it's deserved and warranted and where it isn't deserved and warranted.

Ultimate Member

This is Watchmen. It’s entirely heavy handed socio-political commentary only from an 80s perspective.

If you don’t like politics or social commentary in your fiction, then you might want to stay clear of Watchmen. Or most of Alan Moore’s work for that matter.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I'm surprised that spoilers:
    they basically "Ned-Starked" Don Johnson in the very first episode, as he probably is the most famous actor of the bunch, and I thought he'd be the Male lead for the series, but it clearly looks like I'm seeing now ... any idea why Louis Gossett Jr killed him?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Not really all that surprising, since I think it's been clear from the beginning that they've been building up Regina King as the star of the show. Plus, and I mean this with all due respect to Don Johnson, but Regina King and Jeremy Irons are probably the most famous actors attached to this show.
    end of spoilers

I absolutely loved the first episode! Starting things off with the Tulsa Massacre was a shocking way to start but it definitely sets the tone for the show. It struck me that there are similarities between Hooded Justice’s story and that of Superman. The destruction of the world he knew, parents sacrificing themselves to save him, being placed in a vehicle and sent away to safety.

I think it’s a brilliant touch to have Rorschach’s mask represent white supremacy and right wing ideology. Alan Moore never meant for Rorschach to be a beloved hero. He represented the fascist side of superheroes. We see that Rorschach having sent his diary to the then conspiracy theory paper, has caused a lot of people to believe the alien invasion was faked. While the government has to put on crazy displays (raining squids) to keep up the charade. But the cops covering up their faces and whatever the hell Tim Blake Nelson’s character is up to, also reeks of fascism. Not a lot of good guys in this world.

Btw, are people seriously complaining that the direct sequel to one of the most politics heavy comics of all time is “too political”?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

Btw, are people seriously complaining that the direct sequel to one of the most politics heavy comics of all time is “too political”?

They do when it's politics they don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    They do when it's politics they don't like.
    Again I repeat, there's a difference between inserting social/political commentary where it's deserved and warranted and where it isn't deserved and warranted. Saying that "Watchmen/comics were always political" and responses to that effect doesn't automatically negate all criticism in regards to how politics are handled in shows, movies, etc.

Comics weren't immune to criticism and never will be, even if the political card is played.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Again I repeat, there's a difference between inserting social/political commentary where it's deserved and warranted and where it isn't deserved and warranted. Saying that "Watchmen/comics were always political" and responses to that effect doesn't automatically negate all criticism in regards to how politics are handled in shows, movies, etc.

Comics weren't immune to criticism and never will be, even if the political card is played.
    Why isn't the political commentary warranted here. When that is clearly the story these creators want to tell. The same as Moore wanting to tell his.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post

How do you determine when it's "warranted" or not? I'm not sure what you consider to be the distinction.