Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: WATCHMEN on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Just to address two of your points:
    -- I don't think Laurie allowed herself to be captured at all. The couch falling gag was hilarious, partly for how surprised she was at what was happening.
    I was a little surprised by her surprise. She lives in a comicbookverse where mad scientists drop giant squids on cities and living gods terraform planets and she herself was a costumed vigilante for over a decade. Was it really such a surprise that a supervillain would drop her through a trapdoor into her underground layer?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I was a little surprised by her surprise. She lives in a comicbookverse where mad scientists drop giant squids on cities and living gods terraform planets and she herself was a costumed vigilante for over a decade. Was it really such a surprise that a supervillain would drop her through a trapdoor into her underground layer?
    well at the moment she wasn't expecting that woman to be who is eventually turns out to be. though as soon as she basically told her her plan "oh wasn't i supposed to confess yet?" , and started clicking on her remote repeatedly she should have lunged out of the seat..

I agree - regardless of what she was holding, she was obviously wielding it in a threatening manner. Laurie should have immediately disarmed her. But who knows - maybe Laurie's been hunting masks for so long, her radar is off when it comes to unmasked evil-doers.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Thinking back on this show, what was the deal with the superhero you covered himself in lube? That never got resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Thinking back on this show, what was the deal with the superhero you covered himself in lube? That never got resolved.
    It was hinted at to be Agent Petey. He was Laurie's FBI partner and a superhero fanboy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    superhero fanboy.
    Try groupie better.

I occurs to me that the trapdoor not working at first wasn't just a joke, it was foreshadowing. Foreshadowing that the 7th Cavalry wasn't a top-tier threat. They are a group of second-tiers being manipulated by an actual top-tier mad scientist villain.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

When Keane Jr. started waxing on and on about his plot I was getting a little fed up. The villain just telling everyone his plan seemed so anti Alan Moore, narratively.

I'm really glad we eventually got an actual billionaire mad scientist supervillan lady to make up for that, though.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-28-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    And of course, Superman and Captain Marvel, as well as Wonder Woman, three of the first superheroes, don't even wear masks. If, of the Trinity only Batman wears one, and he was more influenced by Zorro, who was based on (I think) the Scarlett Pimpernel, then they were fighting the establishment, which takes it away from vigilantiism.... but I haven't done enough research to know for sure. (I mean, there's also the legend of the Boston Tea Party where the revolutionaries wore disguises... but again, one could write a PhD dissertation on this topic as there are so many examples)

I agree, but there is no shortage of period-piece movies or tv shows. This is nothing new. Is it the politically-charged issues of this show that makes it more of a topic now as opposed to say,"Wonder Woman?" Because I thought that movie was terrible for its use of history.
    Yeah, and I've also seen people cite programs like Watchmen as anti-racist (as well as "pro-murder" I recall) programs and say that such programs should be used to kill white racists to death, like we're still in World War II, even little kids who get caught up in Hitler Youth-like rhetoric, but I don't think that should be done with little kids in 2019, even if they are brainwashed. If anything, I think examples like Superman motivating that kid to reconsider his racist actions and acknowledge how wrong he was in Superman Smashes the Klan should be considered more. I just really don't think every problem needs to be solved with killing like how I've seen some people say.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Then create a new character instead of changing one to fit their stories narrative.
    This argument is so weird to me because comic books have the least concrete characters in maybe any storytelling medium besides probably word of mouth.

I enjoyed the show alot but the finale almost fell flat. The humor wasnt as sharp and the explain a thon in some scenes was a bit much. I loved the season overall but I wish the tone was more consistent. 8.5/10 would be 9 but man Dr. Manhattan makeup/costume decision was terrible.

Incredible Member

Did anyone else notice? The only people who acted sanely and smart in this TV show. Had major psychological mental damage BEFORE the giant squid drop on NYC. Even the 7K was too stupid to know. Not to have the entire leadership show up at the same time.

Do you think Redford & Adrian Veidt bet the case brought against them for mass murder and such?

Why didn't Adrian Veidt ever have sex with a woman? I found that VERY odd!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post

I was wondering why she would want to bear his child when so hated him so much.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    You find it "VERY" odd that a gay man never had sex with a woman? Really??

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I was wondering why she would want to bear his child when so hated him so much.
    She probably thought his genes would help her child?