Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: WATCHMEN on HBO

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    I wasn't wowed by the first episode. I think they could have done a better job connecting to the previous material. I'm not really sure if this is a continuation of the comic series or the movie. Doesn't make sense to me how Rorschach could become a symbol of white supremacy.
    I think it makes sense:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-in...right-pipeline

Someone like Stefan Molyneux says he is a libertarian and promotes race ''science''. A lot of libertarians have become alt-right, so I can totally see Rorschach being co-opted by white supremacists. Rorschach could be horrified by such a development, but I think this turn is totally believable.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Yea. Even one of the popular YT guys who pump out constant review videos for DC/Marvel cape shows/movies didn't mention the Tulsa massacre as even being race related- which was the whole point, he just said 'a massacre'. Kind of disappointing in that this dude has source material background for everytime a CW or one of the new Titan's show character passes gas but for this show- that ties to an ACTUAL event he pulled way back in the most vaguest of terms. For reasons.

[
    A couple YT reviews have been weirdly obtuse about the show tackling race. White fragility is active even in people outside the US.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-f...erview-896780/

An interview with Damon Lindelof about the show. My favorite bit:

So there’s no way to end up with a better movie than the one Zack Snyder made, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Thomas Crown; 10-28-2019 at 08:02 AM.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Overall, as according to my review, I liked last night's episode of Watchmen over the premiere...if only because of Adrian Veidt's play about Doctor Manhattan. Oh my gosh, that was hysterical. Dark, but hysterical all the same.

Watchmen season 1, episode 2 review: Martial Feats of Comanche Horsemanship
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Extraordinary Member

Hopefully they reveal who the boy is in the next episode.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    What I find stunningly surprising is that so many Americans don't even know about the Tulsa massacre.
    I *lived* in Tulsa, for a time, and I never heard of it.

You can be darn skippy it didn't come up in school.

Mighty Member

That Dr Manhattan play. Shocking.

So who took Will?

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Hopefully they reveal who the boy is in the next episode.
    You mean Topher? I thought he was the son of her partner, killed on White Night.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    So who took Will?
    Since he is Hooded Justice. I figure the Government or Nite Owl. He said he has friends in high places.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I just watched the 2nd episode...who are we supposed to be rooting for??? So far i am on team squid.
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Since he is Hooded Justice. I figure the Government or Nite Owl. He said he has friends in high places.
    Did I miss something? Hooded Justice was a white guy who was a member of the KKK. He was implied to be gay and assassinated by Comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Did I miss something? Hooded Justice was a white guy who was a member of the KKK. He was implied to be gay and assassinated by Comedian.
    They seem to be pointing to it being Will.
    https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...ory-explained/

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    That possibility is something that only a certain subset of comic book readers will be aware of, no?

If you've only read the "Classic Coke" series(and are aiming the show at folks who might have done the same), is there any reason that you couldn't just ignore the corner of things that you mentioned?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You mean Topher? I thought he was the son of her partner, killed on White Night.
    Nah not Topher the boy who escaped Black Wall Street. I know now he turned out to be Knight's grandfather But I was thinking he turned out to be a superhero. Maybe we'll find out which one exactly next episode.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 10-29-2019 at 06:28 AM.