Default Times When You Experienced the "Other" Comic Book Company

Hey all. Just wondering what was it like for you when you tried comics outside of your "main" comic book company. What I mean by main comic book company is the company where you read the most books, who you consider yourself a fan of.

For example, I'm a huge Marvel comics fan. Started off that way too. As a kid, I read Spider-Man and Iron Man comics, traded Marvel cards, and learned my Marvel history on school playgrounds. Every so often though, I'd read a DC book and THAT was an experience. Indeed, reading Superman, Batman, or Justice League felt odd and I think it had to do with setting. Marvel titles had New York City and I, having grown up nearby the city, was familiar with that setting. Metropolis? Gotham City? Central City? What? Pretty strange. Surprisingly, I felt that DC was darker, more violent, and somewhat more old-fashioned than Marvel. Maybe it had to do with the fact that what I read was reading the Batman titles and watching Batman: The Animated series at the time. Finally, there were differences on an aesthetic level. The logos, the titles, the ads, hell even the paper were different! All of it was foreign to me.

Since then, DC has definitely become a welcome addition of my comics reading experience. But still, there are those sentiments, that feeling of different that I get whenever I read a DC comic. By contrast, reading a Marvel comic feels familiar and I'm at home.

So what was it like when you tried DC? Or Marvel? Or Image? Or Darkhorse? Or the British comics? Or so on and so forth? Did it feel odd? Strange? Are those sentiments still there or are you completely at home with the company?
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I grew up a Marvel zombie back in the early seventies. DC's books were for kids and Lois trying to marry or find out who Superman really was seemed ridiculous to me. My first forays into DC were books close to what I was reading from Marvel. The same happened when I went off into other companies. I'd first try books (and creators) similar to what I was reading and then expanded. Right now, I'm likely to read anything from anybody even if I'm still very selective. My choice of genres and companies is wide open.

I started more with Marvel (and Archie's Sonic comics) because I was a fan of Spider-Man from the comic strip and the 90s cartoon.

When I bought DC books, it tended to be self-contained and well-reviewed. I remember going to a Barnes & Noble and getting Man of Steel for $7.50 and Batman Year One for $10, so the DC comics were still pretty good, even if I thought Marvel's best was usually better (IE- I liked Marvels more than Kingdom Come.)

I was never dismissive of DC, though.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I dipped into DC recently due to the two He-Man / Masters of the Universe crossovers, the first with Thundercats and the second with Injustice. So it was more for that franchise rather than DC itself.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

My heart will never belong to DC. I just have a very difficult time caring about the entire setting. I really have difficulty with anything Batty or Supey. There have been exceptions:
    - I've been a big fan of Hal Jordan since shortly after starting comics in 1980. The whole Parallax thing actually made me boycott DC until Hal's return.
    - Barry Allen Flash, sort of an extension of Hal.
    - Same thing with Green Arrow, but I'm less tolerant and lose interest quickly.
    - Female characters tend to be exemptions more than not (ie, I can tolerate Supergirl, and I really like Vixen).
    - Firestorm, especially when it's just the Prof and Ronnie.
    - The Wolfman/Perez Titans. This is mostly because of Kori and Raven, and I do not like the current version of Raven. (and I can only dig Dick Grayson when he rarely mentions the Bat)
    - I've tried getting into LSH several times over the years, but they kept rebooting. I think I gave up once and for all after Shooter. I won't ever again.
    - Azzarello was one of the few times I've liked Wonder Woman (except Lynda Carter of course).

I don't think I've purchased anything from Image since the 90s, and have no desire to.

I don't really have much difficulty when it comes to other companies.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    When I was a kid, I read comics not just from Marvel and DC but also Archie, Dark Horse, Harvey (defunct) and NOW (defunct) comics
    I was of the same mindset and still am - I never understood the "us vs. them" thinking in regard to our hobby. Having said that, as a teen 40-something years ago, I tended to buy almost strictly DC due to limited funds.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Incredible Member

I knew of Superman, Batman and Spider-Man basically via their live action movies and cartoons that I didn't see a distintion between Marvel or DC but then I started collecting Marvel's Transformers and G.I.Joe comics that I started noticing the different universes, along the way circa 1987 I was living in Ecuador that I happened upon the newest Post-Crisis DC stuff that I took note of how DC's stuff was more harder edge than Marvel.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    I knew of Superman, Batman and Spider-Man basically via their live action movies and cartoons that I didn't see a distintion between Marvel or DC
    They were my three favorites as far back as '72 based on their appearances on television (I hadn't read a superhero comic at that time) - still are my favorites today.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?