Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evil Supermen

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    It is exhausting, tbh. I'm sick of evil Supermen.

It really is chipping away at the IP. "Lois Lane is the key"- nah Lois Lane is a lovely woman whom Superman shares his adventures with. He would never let anything happen to her, but if something did happen- he is still our Superman. Just a sadder Superman.
    Yeah that's the problem with the whole concept of Injustice. Lois dying wouldn't turn him evil. Anyone familiar with Superman would know that. What they should have done is have half the world's population wiped down, along with the Justice League.....then I can see Superman wanting to rule with an iron fist. That would have made it way more interesting.

Incredible Member

evil superman you say ...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Yeah that's the problem with the whole concept of Injustice. Lois dying wouldn't turn him evil. Anyone familiar with Superman would know that. What they should have done is have half the world's population wiped down, along with the Justice League.....then I can see Superman wanting to rule with an iron fist. That would have made it way more interesting.
    I think you guys are missing a pretty key aspect to why he turned evil. He was manipulated into killing Lois and their unborn baby himself. That’s a pretty big trauma. He killed Joker in an act of vengeance and then realized that they had allowed it by not stopping villains sooner. He thought he could save everyone by making them do what he knew was best. It wasn’t as simplistic as you guys are making it out to be.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I think you guys are missing a pretty key aspect to why he turned evil. He was manipulated into killing Lois and their unborn baby himself. That’s a pretty big trauma. He killed Joker in an act of vengeance and then realized that they had allowed it by not stopping villains sooner. He thought he could save everyone by making them do what he knew was best. It wasn’t as simplistic as you guys are making it out to be.
    That's also just not Superman. Never has been. Injustice has been out of character since day one.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    That's also just not Superman. Never has been. Injustice has been out of character since day one.
    In your opinion.

Fantastic Member

I agree with you!! What they had Superman do in Injustice was way out of character!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 05-26-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Injustice has him kill Lois, his child, and the entire city of Metropolis. Everyone always shorthand’s it to just Lois dying when it was a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    In your opinion.
    The vast majority of Injustice fanboys also don’t like Superman and make no secret of it. It’s not a franchise with any respect for him as a character. Feel free to enjoy it, but let’s not pretend it’s some evenhanded portrayal of Supes.

I far prefer Ending Battle or Kingdom Come to Injustice trash which is all about wanking off Batman and Harley Quinn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Injustice has him kill Lois, his child, and the entire city of Metropolis. Everyone always shorthand’s it to just Lois dying when it was a lot more.
    Probably because no one cares about Metropolis because then you’d have to address why Harley hasn’t been executed. Even in the games it’s all “Muh Lois”.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-26-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The vast majority of Injustice fanboys also don’t like Superman and make no secret of it. It’s not a franchise with any respect for him as a character. Feel free to enjoy it, but let’s not pretend it’s some evenhanded portrayal of Supes.

I far prefer Ending Battle or Kingdom Come to Injustice trash which is all about wanking off Batman and Harley Quinn.

Probably because no one cares about Metropolis because then you’d have to address why Harley hasn’t been executed. Even in the games it’s all “Muh Lois”.
    I haven't played the game but in the comics, she's on Batman's team. BATMAN! She straight up helps Joker nuke an entire city and Batman's like, "Eh, she's redeemed herself". I don't care how much she helped out the resistance, she's a straight up murderer. Batman, of all people, wouldn't let her walk. There was a thread a while back about what makes someone a Superman fan and the biggest question that came up was: Are you a fan if you only like the Injustice Superman?
    Assassinate Putin!

Mighty Member

I will say that the evil Superman trope has been done so much that it has diluted what could possibly have been an interesting concept.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I haven't played the game but in the comics, she's on Batman's team. BATMAN! She straight up helps Joker nuke an entire city and Batman's like, "Eh, she's redeemed herself". I don't care how much she helped out the resistance, she's a straight up murderer. Batman, of all people, wouldn't let her walk. There was a thread a while back about what makes someone a Superman fan and the biggest question that came up was: Are you a fan if you only like the Injustice Superman?
    I remember that thread. I think my answer there was “no” and that’s still how I feel. It’s like saying the only Wonder Woman or Aquaman you like are the Flashpoint versions, or you only like Hal when he is Parallux, or the only Batman you like is the Batman Who Laughs. Those aren’t different “interpretations” those are completely different characters, or at least that’s how I view them. They’re free to enjoy that stuff, but I sure as hell don’t and I don’t want that characterization becoming the mainstream view of Supes. It’s why I’m so happy Zack Snyder got the boot before he could implement his vision, because he was planning to go down that route.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-26-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

In your opinion.
    It's one I share with most fans I've encountered online or off who like Superman as more than a powerset.

Injustice gets a lot of characters flat-out wrong because they need to draw sides.

If you think Clark has it the worst, I feel bad for Diana fans. Her motivation for going evil was, essentially, "well if Superman's cool with it we can FINALLY get to enslaving the normies."

And Bruce working with Harley is pisspoor characterization for him as well. She's responsible for aiding the Joker in killing so many, yet "well she redeemed herself?" Come on, man. The books have to accommodate an alternate universe forged by a game developer. It's not going to make sense.

The minute Clark murdered Billy, everyone should have abandoned him. Instead there's still a regime. He killed a child for speaking out against him. Tell me more how Injustice characterizes Superman in a believable light.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

In your opinion.
    Nah, it's just not Superman.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Well I think there should be a distinction between superman turning evil and an evil superman expy. The latter is cool when they say, go deep on the Sentry like his last series did. The former is far overstated in these parts. I just don't see why Injustice matters so much to people, especially since the game playing experience has nothing to do with the story. Are the comics really that popular?

I think it works out when they don't forget that Superman, good or bad, is the protagonist. It has to make sense as to why he is opposed to others on the side of good, you can't just say "okay now he's crazy now." In all three Armageddon specials he ascended to a ruling position. In the Superman one, he loses Lois and Metropolis, and is eventually hunted down and killed by Batman. It was great. Although maybe not in concept to some, because I've gotten the impression that whether you have Batman hunt Superman or Superman hunt Batman, people will come away being down on Superman regardless.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Personally, I don't care for evil Superman except when he's a foil for Clark. Defining where he stops by showing a version of him who doesn't. As s concept for a story like Injustice, well I don't care for it because it's always to prop someone else up at Clark's expense. Usually Batman.
    See, I was able to better take Injustice Superman in the first game because he was there as a foil with the real Superman there to show up and beat him at the end.