Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    It doesn't matter because The Flash's sales for each Flash comic are going to be what they will be regardless of when you ship them. And the cost of production for those comics will be what it will be regardless of when you ship those comics.

What you're talking about is a different point. My point doesn't have to do with other DC titles. It has only to do with The Flash.
    But it does matter if the second Flash issue is taking the place of a lower selling title. It's not a different point. None of these titles are operating in a vacuum.

Besides, the argument could easily be made that title's sales drop off slower when they ship more often.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

While the double shipping was a great way for the Rebirth relaunch to get a running start, I can't think of a single title that benefited creatively from the twice monthly grind, particularly when it came to a writer/artist team creating any kind of momentum.

Glad to see this policy go. If it means less comics, that's not really a problem for me if it means better overall quality across the line.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    So
    2x Batman -> Batman & Batman/Catwoman
    2x Flash -> Flash & Wally West comic (?)
    2x Justice League -> Justice League & ? (maybe JSA?)
    2x Detective Comics -> Detective Comics & ? (maybe a new Batwoman title, or a Robin comic starring the four main Robins, or a title about the whole batfamily)
    2x Wonder Woman -> Wonder Woman & ?
    If this is true, that's probably not going to work. Some people just stick with the individual titles and don't tend to branch out.

Astonishing Member

Assuming Doomsday Clock ends by 2020, I'd say that we'll get a JSA and LOSH books.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's been confirmed at ALL DC titles will no longer double ship next year. This affects Batman, Detective, Flash, Wonder Woman, and Justice League.
    https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/...86021943435264
    I'm assuming they won't end double-shipping completely.
    Some books will probably double-ship occasionally if a story/event warrants it, but otherwise will normally be scheduled for once-a-month.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    While the double shipping was a great way for the Rebirth relaunch to get a running start, I can't think of a single title that benefited creatively from the twice monthly grind, particularly when it came to a writer/artist team creating any kind of momentum.

Glad to see this policy go. If it means less comics, that's not really a problem for me if it means better overall quality across the line.
    The Flash is the one that I think will miss it most. Williamson has done a great job at maintaining momentum and using the double shipping to his advantage.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

That's a shame, I really like getting two issues a month. it feels nice, not having to wait a month for the next part of the story.
    Last edited by KC; 05-26-2019 at 07:24 AM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Nice. I can look forward t better stories and more consistent art. Double shipping hurt way more books than it helped.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Incredible Member

Maybe they will publish a consistent limited series to go with each book that will no longer double ship? Similar to the Batman and Batman/Catwoman set up?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Assuming Doomsday Clock ends by 2020, I'd say that we'll get a JSA and LOSH books.
    I think Didio has pretty much retired those two brands. DC doesn't care for JSA given how they mishandled it post-Johns. And likewise they only kept the LoSH around for Levitz.

Double shipping is a challenge. For the vast majority of artists today, their output is one book a month. Putting out two books a month means rotating artists and trying to make sure arcs have a single art team means a considerable difference in issues being worked on at the same timer. Wonder Woman had an alternating story set-up which probably made production easier, even if it was a bit challenging to readers.

I'm not surprised DC's stopping this. They proved it's certainly possible with the extent they went to it, but the work involved doesn't seem to be something that's easy to get around.

BANNED

Good. I don't really like double shipping, it tends to lessen the quality of the titles.

Then again I'm reading very little DC these days so what do I care.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Except instead of a second issue of the Flash each month, the alternative would most likely be a title that doesn't sell nearly as well. Double shipping the most popular books does make financial sense, so it does matter.
    Thats the problem.
    If you look for example at the Batman books before rebirth you will see that, the secondary books (including TEC) sold usually much less than the main book.
    While double shipping seemed not really to reduce the sales numbers of the main books that much.

And appart from the JSA DC doesn't have that many unused franchises that could generate similarly strong sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    So
    2x Batman -> Batman & Batman/Catwoman
    2x Flash -> Flash & Wally West comic (?)
    2x Justice League -> Justice League & ? (maybe JSA?)
    2x Detective Comics -> Detective Comics & ? (maybe a new Batwoman title, or a Robin comic starring the four main Robins, or a title about the whole batfamily)
    2x Wonder Woman -> Wonder Woman & ?
    Sensation Comics. Could be about one of Diana's supporting cast members like Hippolyta, or one of the Wonder Girls. Batwoman makes sense as a replacement bat book, considering she has a TV show coming up. I'm definitely thinking JLA for the JL slot. Though Odyssey will probably need to be replaced by then too.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

If they launch another JL type book in January, it’ll most likely spin off from The JL-Doom War/Metal 2/whatever Snyder is building towards. Could be another JL, JLA, LOSH, JSA or something completely different.