Thread: Is it time yet?

Default Is it time yet?

For solo series for the individual teen characters set in the future? No I'm not talking about the MC2. I just think that there might be some decent stories to tell with more adult versions of teen (or younger) characters. What will Moon Girl's enemy list look like when she's Moon Woman? There's opportunities in it for some of the d-list rookie villains as well. Everyone could move forward without the current crop being pushed aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    For solo series for the individual teen characters set in the future? No I'm not talking about the MC2. I just think that there might be some decent stories to tell with more adult versions of teen (or younger) characters. What will Moon Girl's enemy list look like when she's Moon Woman? There's opportunities in it for some of the d-list rookie villains as well. Everyone could move forward without the current crop being pushed aside.
    You may want to check out the excellent "Old Moon Crone" series in the "Age of Marvel - New Universe" thread. I hear good things about it.

Nah. What makes her popular is the fact that she isn't an adult. Much like the majority of star child/teen actors will not make the jump to popular adult actors many of your favorite kid/teen heroes will not make a successful transition to adult superheroes. Most of these characters characterization only comes when they are in the vicinity of the adult heroes whose mantles they have taken up or chosen to rebel against our both.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

An updated version of MC2 would be interesting, as when that started, neither the Young Avengers or Champions existed yet, and Cassie Lang was the only member of either team who already existed. That means A-Next would probably look very different.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    An updated version of MC2 would be interesting, as when that started, neither the Young Avengers or Champions existed yet, and Cassie Lang was the only member of either team who already existed. That means A-Next would probably look very different.
    I would want it to look much differently. I don't need a retread of the 90s. Just think that it would be fun to see what some of the newer characters become (and without the competition of the current hero hierarchy). The kid, RJ, that Bucky tried to save could be someone important in the future. Maybe he's heading up the Thunderbolts program. Or maybe he's leading a Hydra splinter cell. Maybe a few marvel comics presents style stories could show us stuff like this. People complain about new characters being held back or overlooked. This is one way around it.

BANNED

Older versions of young heroes can only work if their solo books make money and I just don't see that being viable in today's market. The kid heroes can barely sell books as it is and I don't think aging-up is a gimmick that's going to dramatically boost sales. But then I'm of the opinion that the whole Marvel line needs to be streamlined to no more than 20 books, most of Marvel's adult heroes honestly don't make the cut today either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Older versions of young heroes can only work if their solo books make money and I just don't see that being viable in today's market. The kid heroes can barely sell books as it is and I don't think aging-up is a gimmick that's going to dramatically boost sales. But then I'm of the opinion that the whole Marvel line needs to be streamlined to no more than 20 books, most of Marvel's adult heroes honestly don't make the cut today either.
    Sure. Because who needs options? Just let Venom and Deadpool divide the 20 books among themselves.

Better to have 20 quality books then a 100 crappy ones placed on never ending cancelation cycles.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

It would be fun to have a new MC2 that reflected the current line better. I imagine the Champions would be in very prominent places and so would the YA.

Sure. Because who needs options? Just let Venom and Deadpool divide the 20 books among themselves.
    I know that you are joking, but if this really happened I wouldn't be shocked. But it is an interesting little exercise. You can go no higher than twenty-five titles. The Star Wars stuff is exempt.

Peter Parker gets two and Miles gets one. That's it. Three titles down.

X-MEN gets two team books.

Avengers gets two team books.

Fantastic Four

Champions or Young Avengers, you can't have both. It's just a team name for young heroes so does it really matter?

Black Panther

Thor

Captain Marvel

Captain America

Hulk

Nova

Doctor Strange

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Daredevil

Deadpool

Conan

Punisher

Iron Man

Ghost Rider

Moon Girl

Marvel Team-Up
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Better to have 20 quality books then a 100 crappy ones placed on never ending cancelation cycles.
    I prefer the latter. It's the only way I'll see my favorite characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I know that you are joking, but if this really happened I wouldn't be shocked. But it is an interesting little exercise. You can go no higher than twenty-five titles. The Star Wars stuff is exempt.

Peter Parker gets two and Miles gets one. That's it. Three titles down.

X-MEN gets two team books.

Avengers gets two team books.

Fantastic Four

Champions or Young Avengers, you can't have both. It's just a team name for young heroes so does it really matter?

Black Panther

Thor

Captain Marvel

Captain America

Hulk

Nova

Doctor Strange

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Daredevil

Deadpool

Conan

Punisher

Iron Man

Ghost Rider

Moon Girl

Marvel Team-Up
    Wouldn't Conan logically be exempt as well? Also, there's no way Kamala's second book would still be around if her solo got to the stage it ended it cancelled. So Ms. Marvel should definitely have a spot. And if we can only have three spider books, the third would probably be Gwen, not a second Peter title.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Wouldn't Conan logically be exempt as well?
    Good catch. His slot will be filled by Namor.

Also, there's no way Kamala's second book would still be around if her solo got to the stage it ended it cancelled. So Ms.Marvel should definitely have a spot.
    It would be quite easy to keep it around, especially if she is teaming up with a different popular hero every month and doesn't have to carry the load all be herself. It's much easier than a solo title.

And if we can only have three spider books, the third would probably be Gwen, not a second Peter title.
    No, just because we have three doesn't mean we hand them out equally. Peter warrants two titles. Miles gets the third. Gwen goes to the Champions.

I find it hard to believe Venom wouldn't have a title as well. His sales are incredible lately.
    I do hope they don't do anything like having 20 titles. It's not like quality or sales will increase, we'll just be without our favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I find it hard to believe Venom wouldn't have a title as well. His sales are incredible lately.
    Yes, lately. I was around when Venom blew up the first time, and watched as Marvel ran the character into the ground. This sort of feels like the same thing, a fad that is going to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I do hope they don't do anything like having 20 titles. It's not like quality or sales will increase, we'll just be without our favorites.
    Nothing is stopping you from making your own list. It's a fun exercise, deciding what to keep and what not to. You should try it.