Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’m about to begin getting this book to complete my New Titans related books, so I’m definitely interested in everyone’s opinions. The thought of Marv’s treatment of this character gives me some pause by transforming him into an anti-hero doesn’t sit well with me. The fact that he basically groomed Terra disgusts me to no end.

Astonishing Member

I thought the series was overall good, near the end, I feel like the creator ran out of ideas and the series went off the rails a little bit.

There's a really good one issue Deathstroke vs. Joker story, I feel is one of the best Joker stories ever.

Deathstroke (as a character) was super popular during this time period. I think he was going to get a book regardless of whether or not Wolfman wrote it. The audience back then was younger, it was more standard to "Rehabilitate" villains a bit when you gave them a book.

The series to me was the first time the Deathstroke character had been fleshed out. Other appearances later made him into an unrepetentant killer--I felt those characterizations were the ones that were off base.

There sure was a lot of excuses for why Slade was originally cast as a villain and not a man of honor
    I liked it and the art is great
    I have it in trades

Nowadays you will not see fans be so accepting of a creator doing a 180 for such a reprehensible character

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I thought the series was overall good, near the end, I feel like the creator ran out of ideas and the series went off the rails a little bit.

There's a really good one issue Deathstroke vs. Joker story, I feel is one of the best Joker stories ever.

Deathstroke (as a character) was super popular during this time period. I think he was going to get a book regardless of whether or not Wolfman wrote it. The audience back then was younger, it was more standard to "Rehabilitate" villains a bit when you gave them a book.

The series to me was the first time the Deathstroke character had been fleshed out. Other appearances later made him into an unrepetentant killer--I felt those characterizations were the ones that were off base.
    Slade was always a killer that Wolfman liked to pretend had a moral code. Later characterizations were accurate.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Slade was always a killer that Wolfman liked to pretend had a moral code. Later characterizations were accurate.
    Again, Wolfman created the character. Slade is whatever Marv wants him to be, no pretending necessary.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I'll say this for the ongoing, Mike Zeck was among a plethora of artists who supplied the most eye-catching covers in the industry (IMHO):

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    The series doesn't concentrate on the murder for hire side of the character. Of course he's a terrible person, but on the other hand, he led the Earths heroes against alien invaders in the Panic in the Sky storyline that ran through the Superman books in the 90's.
    Indeed. Superman made the call, and chose Slade. End of story.

I'm in the process of re-reading this series and am currently at #12. It's still far from one of my favorite titles but so far is worth revisiting. I really enjoyed seeing Pat Trayce/Vigilante again. When's the last time she popped up somewhere?